IGNORED

Fluorescent Grey - Antique Electronic / Synthesizer Greats 1955 - 1985 Pt 2

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if anybody has any favorite tracks or is curious about sample sources i would be happy to ID anything.
Making a whole key is going to be a lot of work, took me so much effort last time i gave up completely on it. The reason being is that it's practically impossible for me to log each sample as I rip it from a vinyl or something. What I've done this time is left all my source material in a large folder and left a stack of records of everything i sampled in the corner of my room so that when i do make a real key I should be able to leave no stone un-turned. I don't want to just do a half-assed one, i want to do it 100%

i'll give away another title

Bridegroom Groin Igloo = Giorgio Moroder , Goblin

Reading your tracktitles Robbie makes it a bit the John Oswald-way right? For 69 Plunderphonics he used the same method to hide the real artists he plundered. Nice touch!

Aside that, I need time for consuming and digesting, the idea is just brilliantly made. I could not spot something yet but that shows your great skill in scissoring everything up ;)

yes, Oswald was definitely an influence. At least conceptually. In terms of aesthetic and stylistic influences from music that used sampling technique the biggest one was probably Richie Hawtin's loop based DE:9 series, Mr Oizo's Moustache era sampling cut ups and Gescom's A1-D1. These influences were sort of the same framework for Part 1 as well. The main difference this time besides extending it one year was I put a little bit more of my own composition into it. On Pt 2 and 3 I used sampling keyboards to play back one-hit samples of old sample synth notes or melodyne DNA to retune a polyphonic synth and vocoder performances (like turning ambient pad chords into entirely new chords). The last one was almost exclusively chopped up loops with no pitch manipulation. I tried to do new forms of stealing that Oswald never was able to do when Pluderphonics came out. With stuff like Melodyne and retuning a solo synth performance polyphonically while also being able to manipulate the timing of notes, the line between new composition and sampling/stealing becomes totally blurred.

Got a chance to listen to this properly today.... really, really good stuff. An excellent companion to Pt. 1 but definitely not just a plain re-hash. Pt. 1 feels quite claustrophobic whereas this feels more expansive - both are cracking in their own way. I presume that your more composed approach and melodyne were key to that.

Highlight of that first listen was the double whammy of Glimmer Ghost Jelly Ride and Ogre Dub. Definitely appreciated the stuff you lifted from B&F3 on that - a much underated release that I find much more listenable than their early albums.

Cheers!

cool glad you recognized those lifts. First sample spotter! For Ogre Dub I also took bits of Dead Doll, Smothered Hope and a few other outros and blips from various tracks on Bites and Remission (including the puppy dub intro beat)

edit: have you heard Sincere Trade - Between You and Me ? It's a pretty awesome sort of IDM-ish album, probably one of the last records off Sublight before it closed shop. It's very reminiscent of early instrumental Skinny Puppy music specifically Brap

You might dig it
http://www.discogs.com/Sincere-Trade-Between-You-And-Me/release/935746

Finally going to listen tonight (been delayed for one reason or another). But first, an old fart's question: there were plenty of what you might call 'mainstream' sources hinted at on the artwork for part one and a few things even I could recognise in the tracks themselves. Did the album images in the collage on the first collection show what was used for those tracks or were they just an iconic representation of the era you delved into?

the cover of the last one was literally a bunch of stuff i sampled from. The time around i'd say some of my sources are even more 'mainstream' but mixed with a heavy dose of pretty obscure stuff. I'm still sampling some classics on this one like Kraftwerk, Rush things like that.

Thanks for the info, you also answered what would've been my next question (i.e. what you used this time around). Enjoyed part 2 tonight. Pt 1 still shades it for me, but give it a few more listens...

if you like the vibes of part 1 better i think you'll probably really enjoy pt3, its got a lot more 4 on the floor disco beats and it's pretty dark. I tried to fit most of the 'happy' songs on part2. Putting up the sampler and a full song from Pt 3 this evening.

:beer: yes there are plenty cassettes left, i did a run of 75 for Part 2 and Part 3. The only thing not left at this point are the binder sets, I've sent a few of those off to Norman Records but otherwise they are sold out.

for all those who ordered tapes: after a mini debacle with a faulty tape duper i procured I've decided to do it the old fashioned way. So you will all be getting first generation individually recorded tapes, which will be higher quality than a duped one.
and if you need some solace for this delay I'd consider sending out digital versions early as long as they aren't shared until late December. Just contact me directly

for all those who ordered tapes: after a mini debacle with a faulty tape duper i procured I've decided to do it the old fashioned way. So you will all be getting first generation individually recorded tapes, which will be higher quality than a duped one.

and if you need some solace for this delay I'd consider sending out digital versions early as long as they aren't shared until late December. Just contact me directly

RLR just proves again what kind gestures can do. Robbie, I enjoy every bit you have ever sent to me in trade and believe me, I will take my part again in a nice package with tapes coming your way soon enough as my album is out.

cheers Thorsten. Sorry Paul I gave out an incorrect url on here but if someone googled It it comes up as the first result

29 minutes in the interview about the Antique Electronic/Synthesizer Greats record starts, it gets a little silly, I play about 3 tracks off Part 3
http://www.kpfa.org/archive/id/97298

Archived