IGNORED

Fluorescent Grey - Antique Electronic / Synthesizer Greats 1955 - 1985 Pt 2

Woah, bummed that I missed the stream. Looking forward to hearing the whole thing once it's ready. You're on a serious goddamn roll lately imo.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it should be posted up soon in mix form before the album actually comes out in track form. and re: baph, feels good to be musically productive. And it will be my 3rd album for 2013! probably the most productive streak I've had ever.

lol, i don't even remember posting that. the morning pre-coffee remains something of a blur...

uh, technically you're correct in that all the sounds are pre-recorded from other records, but i think robbie is "originally creating" therefrom so...it's more like hip hop or industrial than "mashup."

it's a mashup of sorts, but probably just as much so as any Luke Vibert release. If you consider those "not at all originally creative" then this would fall under a similar category. I mashup for the most part individual instrument layers from pre-existing songs like a bassline from one song, drums from another, etc. You should check out the previous installment to get a better idea before this one comes out, it's free.

• 4 weeks later...

before July the 6th most likely. Still waiting on a few collaborative parts from various surprise guest musicians (one of whom has been a longtime member of watmm) to finalize the whole thing

Also, since there was some discussion about whether this should be here or in EKT New Releases, the general criteria I have is if it's a "commercial" release - e.g.: for profit, not a free download or something, it belongs here - otherwise, EKT New Releases is more appropriate.

Also, since there was some discussion about whether this should be here or in EKT New Releases, the general criteria I have is if it's a "commercial" release - e.g.: for profit, not a free download or something, it belongs here - otherwise, EKT New Releases is more appropriate.

there was a discussion about it a genban but i can't find it for some reason (was it removed ?). what about pay-what-you-want releases, where should they be ? many of those who use bandcamp release their stuff as pay-what-you-want.

I feel like we should not be sweating where what is posted where too much regarding new releases? Whether you want to be a little fish in a big pond or a big fish in a little pond that is sort of your decision, eh? Not everything in life is quantifiable nor is it polite to be divisive for the sake of alienation or dissension. Just my $.02.

there was a discussion about it a genban but i can't find it for some reason (was it removed ?). what about pay-what-you-want releases, where should they be ? many of those who use bandcamp release their stuff as pay-what-you-want.

I removed it because people started thinking that I had a super huge issue with the whole thing, because I started the thread. All I wanted was to move the discussion away from here and to someplace more appropriate, but hey, I guess reading is hard for some.

From what I gathered from the thread, pretty much every single person on here seems to have a different idea of how this whole thing work (the format, the popularity of the artist, the release being on a label or not, whether some of the 'cooler' WATMMers considers the release to be 'lush' or not, etc.)

edit: lol and now we're back to derailing this thread. SORRY. Last post.

I would consider pay-what-you-want to be a fad that's had it's time (Radiohead and NIN didn't seem to want to continue doing that), and while many smaller artists use it, it's basically like a free release, so not really appropo for this forum.

I feel like we should not be sweating where what is posted where too much regarding new releases? Whether you want to be a little fish in a big pond or a big fish in a little pond that is sort of your decision, eh? Not everything in life is quantifiable nor is it polite to be divisive for the sake of alienation or dissension. Just my $.02.

The problem is then this forum gets flooded with every amateur release, thus diluting the legitimate commercial releases this forum's focus is. Regardless of how big or small, a commercial release is a commercial release.

This will be a fully realised new release from a proven professional artist. Am I the only person who never gives a second though to the EKT sub forums? If it had been posted there I may not have heard about this release, perhaps other people wouldn't have either.

• 2 months later...

its coming out in early october, i decided to to keep working on it because i felt it needed something extra. I think you'll be pleased with the results if the liked the first one. the 'guest' musicians' i was waiting for might not end up happening unfortunately but i've put way more work into part 2 than i did part 1. So far it's 32 tracks long, and I'm trying to edit it down to a reasonable length.

okay sure but I think anyone familiar with robbie's record label and back catalogue would know that robbie is no amateur and has been seriously making hi-grade shit for like more then a decade.

smh

• 1 month later...

the first part of this release coming out early next week with a "surprise" announcement of an accompanying physical format.

The finished album ended up being such a ridiculous amount of music (over 3 hours) that it will now be split up into 2 parts, each 90 minutes long. So technically there will be 2 new installments coming fairly soon.

both parts will be released at once on this physical format about a month before the 2nd half of it is available

In the meantime check out a full track from it called 'Ogre dub' on a new free compilation put together by Tomoroh Hidari

http://www.blog.ivorybunker.com/2013/10/1113

the first part of this release coming out early next week with a "surprise" announcement of an accompanying physical format.

Wow, that's great. Yesterday I talked to a friend of mine and we came across the topic of musicians who don't release much music on physical formats over the year. Nice to see some follow upper to your Ambiente boxset now! I keep the surprise so i am not asking which format it will have.

Thank you for the music Robbie! 3h are damn much for one single release. Aside that good to see you continue that after your boxset.

Archived