IGNORED

English mother****er, do you speak it?

MadameChaos

Guest Gary C

My job title is Editorial Executive and I got 4 out of 10.

Unsurprisingly, I am at risk of redundancy.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

7/10 ... that last question was dumb, I've never heard any of those terms before. I knew the sentence was incorrect but had no idea there was a term for why. and wtf is a gerund?

when a verb is used as a noun

Do you like jogging?

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Yeah, I've had a long day. Got the first two right, the next one wrong and the rest of that test can fuck right off

Guest disparaissant

8/10 but this kind of stuff always rubs me the wrong way as english is largely about common usage, considering there's nothing like the academie francaise or accademia della crusca to regulate what is and isn't proper english...

Apparently I'm too dumb to even take the quiz as it doesnt appear on my phones browser (dolphin). Oh well I'll just put myself down as 10/10.

6/10, but I contest that Benedict could have been black, hence a "brother" but not a sibling. Therefore Hilary could have been male or female. Also, I would never use the word "fewer" because I don't like the way it sounds, so it's wrong in every case to me as a matter of taste. I'm glad Winston Churchill felt the same way about that one grammar rule as I do. I've caught myself ending many a sentence with a preposition and thinking there was no grammatically correct way to say it without sounding ridiculous.

I'd like to introduce you to my sister Clara, who lives in Madrid, to Benedict, my brother who doesn't, and to my only other sibling, Hilary.

However many times I read it, if someone said that out loud I would still not know whether to try and fuck Hilary?

I'd like to introduce you to my sister Clara, who lives in Madrid, to Benedict, my brother who doesn't, and to my only other sibling, Hilary.

However many times I read it, if someone said that out loud I would still not know whether to try and fuck Hilary?

What pissed me off is that the correct answer was

Hilary is a dude

Hilary is a dude

Yeah, and the funnier part is that only a jackass would phrase the statement that way. It is purely some misleading academic bullshit that it is phrased so terribly.

Surely Hilary is a girl's name?

Am I going crazy here???

That isn't the point. The point of the question was if the gender could be identified by the structure of the sentence not by the name of the person.

Surely Hilary is a girl's name?

Am I going crazy here???

That isn't the point. The point of the question was if the gender could be identified by the structure of the sentence not by the name of the person.

tumblr_inline_mh270c3tLx1rcryh7.gif

Hilary is a dude

Yeah, and the funnier part is that only a jackass would phrase the statement that way. It is purely some misleading academic bullshit that it is phrased so terribly.

Yeah, probably some posh motherfucker with a Ph.D trying to play us for fools, thereby asserting their intellectual superiority. I still never met, let alone heard of any guy named Hilary in my life. Utter bullshit.

Got a 10/10 but got lucky on the modal/gerund question... that bit of grammar had completely left me.

I got 7, partly because #3 is total bullshit and I was so pissed off about it I didn't read #4 carefully and then I fucked up the last one.

OK #3. "I'd like to introduce you to my sister Clara, who lives in Madrid, to Benedict, my brother who doesn't, and to my only other sibling, Hilary."

Saying "my brother who doesn't" without a comma between "brother" and "who" indicates that there are others. But so fucking does "introduce you to my sister Clara" without a comma between "sister" and "Clara". So the implication is actually that they have multiple brothers and multiple sisters and thus are totally full of shit, kiss my ass.

Actually re-reading #4 I probably would have fucked it up anyway because I never use "fewer" with "than [NUMBER]". That might be grammatically correct but you don't call the < symbol "fewer than" just because you're using it with integers. That's fucking dumb. Also what's with calling cups of "coffees"? That's way dumber than saying "less than" instead of "fewer than".

OK looking at the last one again, I think it's legit, but it's a pretty lame example of a misplaced modifier. Those things are usually an opportunity for some at least lukewarm comedy and this one just had "in a dress" modifying "side". Lots of these felt like they were trying to confuse by being boring and obtuse.

Also I would like to take this time to gloat about noticing my grammar nazi friend's post on Facebook this Sunday wishing all the "mom's" out there a great day. I would completely not give a shit if he didn't regularly make posts about people butchering English.

Anyway, I feel pretty classy for not saying anything.

I got 7, partly because #3 is total bullshit and I was so pissed off about it I didn't read #4 carefully and then I fucked up the last one.

OK #3. "I'd like to introduce you to my sister Clara, who lives in Madrid, to Benedict, my brother who doesn't, and to my only other sibling, Hilary."

Saying "my brother who doesn't" without a comma between "brother" and "who" indicates that there are others. But so fucking does "introduce you to my sister Clara" without a comma between "sister" and "Clara". So the implication is actually that they have multiple brothers and multiple sisters and thus are totally full of shit, kiss my ass.

Actually re-reading #4 I probably would have fucked it up anyway because I never use "fewer" with "than [NUMBER]". That might be grammatically correct but you don't call the < symbol "fewer than" just because you're using it with integers. That's fucking dumb. Also what's with calling cups of "coffees"? That's way dumber than saying "less than" instead of "fewer than".

OK looking at the last one again, I think it's legit, but it's a pretty lame example of a misplaced modifier. Those things are usually an opportunity for some at least lukewarm comedy and this one just had "in a dress" modifying "side". Lots of these felt like they were trying to confuse by being boring and obtuse.

Also I would like to take this time to gloat about noticing my grammar nazi friend's post on Facebook this Sunday wishing all the "mom's" out there a great day. I would completely not give a shit if he didn't regularly make posts about people butchering English.

Anyway, I feel pretty classy for not saying anything.

Did you mean to say you "felt classy for not saying anything", and also, how do you feel after bragging?

Archived