IGNORED

iPhone iOS 7

J3FF3R00

i got this on my iPad and it's ridiculous how much nicer it is. the older version now seems like it's from the 90s or something. i really prefer the simple design and a lot of features that always seemed obvious to me are now available, like being able to go forward/back on a page with swiping rather than the arrow on the browser.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see Apple snuck in a feature in 7 disabling all 3rd party lightning chargers. Nice.

Just tried my cheap $6 charger that I keep at work. It still charges the battery after showing the warning message, so that's good enough for me!

I see Apple snuck in a feature in 7 disabling all 3rd party lightning chargers. Nice.

Just tried my cheap $6 charger that I keep at work. It still charges the battery after showing the warning message, so that's good enough for me!
Mine hasn't even warned me, it just charges like it's supposed to.

Jesus. Continued annoyance.

The audio scrub bar on the lock screen is designed poorly. When you try to scrub through the audio and aren't 100% accurate with your aim on the tiniest little cursor, the whole screen drags to the right like you're trying to unlock it.

Also, on the control panel screen, the volume controls are way to close to the skip button. When you try to skip, often you end up jacking the volume all the way up.

Aside from this, I'm getting used to the new digs, for the most part.

One last thing, there is a ton of wasted space in the even screens in the new calendar app.

That's all

is that Michael J Fox?

Honestly Touch ID is a convenience feature, not a security feature. Anyone who thinks it makes their phone more secure is fooling themselves.

Guest cult fiction

Yes, the 99.9% of street criminals who steal your phone, spend 5 min. trying to unlock it and then fence it are going to do this:

First, the fingerprint of the enroled user is photographed with 2400 dpi resolution. The resulting image is then cleaned up, inverted and laser printed with 1200 dpi onto transparent sheet with a thick toner setting. Finally, pink latex milk or white woodglue is smeared into the pattern created by the toner onto the transparent sheet. After it cures, the thin latex sheet is lifted from the sheet, breathed on to make it a tiny bit moist and then placed onto the sensor to unlock the phone. This process has been used with minor refinements and variations against the vast majority of fingerprint sensors on the market.

It's designed(much like 4-digit pins) to keep your average, everyday street criminal out of your phone and for that it should be highly effective.

Also, the "right" way to get around it isn't fake thumbprints - just connect the iPhone to a computer and crack it via a more direct means, like people do with every other form of password on phones. Apple is just storing a hash of sorts of your fingerprint.

You're sidestepping, and are you being apologetic for this? It appears to me you are and I fail to understand why.

They say in the video that the fingerprint ID thing is "a very high level of security", supporting this by saying that it "scans the subepidermal layers of your skin" etc., when it takes household equipment (yes, a cheap flatbed scanner is a 2.4k DPI camera) and a few hours of tinkering to crack it. The process looks like anyone with a bit of patience and slightly above average IQ could pull it off.

Apple never said that it's only sorta kinda secure against crackheads, they say it is highly secure which it's clearly not. This is the point CCC is making: They say it is not secure, which is true.

Well yes. I'm wondering how easy/hard it would be to acquire one that's usable, be it from the phone itself or some other object you touched. I guess you have to be a bit lucky. Obviously you also need to know the correct finger. I mean I agree that the average street mugger will not do this. And yeah there's the argumant that it might be easier to setup a camera which films the victim typing/pecking/tapping a password.

Just invalidating Joyrex' statement above there. ^

imo the best looking UI Apple has made in a long time that's for sure. finally they got rid of the glossy icons, loadbars and faux-real design aesthetic.

I installed it on my mom's iPad and it all looked real slick, a nice android-esque feature for switching and removing recent apps which seemed like a real pain to do on the previous OSes etc no idea about bugs or anything else though.

Well yes. I'm wondering how easy/hard it would be to acquire one that's usable, be it from the phone itself or some other object you touched. I guess you have to be a bit lucky. Obviously you also need to know the correct finger. I mean I agree that the average street mugger will not do this. And yeah there's the argumant that it might be easier to setup a camera which films the victim typing/pecking/tapping a password.

You're not invalidating nothing - insecure is insecure, whether a common criminal steals your phone or a corporate espionage agent gets a hold of some CEO's phone. If it can be made, it can be broken.

As for lifting a good fingerprint, why not off the Touch ID sensor itself? that's where the fingerprint is most likely going to be on the phone itself. Ideally, a good thief would watch their mark and wait until they unlocked the phone, then steal it, assuming the timing is right. No need for a fingerprint or PIN. Just wait for them to unlock it to update facebook or make a call.

Honestly, the best security feature Apple added to iOS 7 was the authentication lock - once you set this, they can't wipe your phone to reprovision it on another network. Most thieves who steal phones turn around and wipe and sell, with the buyer probably not knowing (or caring) the phone was stolen to begin with.

You're not invalidating nothing - insecure is insecure, whether a common criminal steals your phone or a corporate espionage agent gets a hold of some CEO's phone. If it can be made, it can be broken.

As for lifting a good fingerprint, why not off the Touch ID sensor itself? that's where the fingerprint is most likely going to be on the phone itself. Ideally, a good thief would watch their mark and wait until they unlocked the phone, then steal it, assuming the timing is right. No need for a fingerprint or PIN. Just wait for them to unlock it to update facebook or make a call.

"Anyone who thinks it makes their phone more secure is fooling themselves." your words.

I disagree, because Apple claims otherwise, and we all know how people literally buy into the marketing.

I still hate the new calendar app.

Also, what's up with the horizontal rotation lock on the control panel? Is that really necessary?

My horizontal rotation was locked for a week before I found out why. So dumb. So so dumb.

"Anyone who thinks it makes their phone more secure is fooling themselves." your words.

I disagree, because Apple claims otherwise, and we all know how people literally buy into the marketing.

I never assume that my phone is completely secure from sophisticated criminals. To be honest, the primary daily benefit of having a barrier to entry like a print scanner or a short passcode is to keep people like my boss out of my personal email when I accidentally leave my phone on my desk during an emergency run to the shitter.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what type of message this is -

BXasQYMIYAAPnfW.jpg

I'm not up on iOS (asking for a friend), but apparently it's not the appearance of a normal SMS message - to me it looks like a push notification from an app, though apparently they don't have the Dominos app installed either. Have they managed to somehow get on those 'emergency push message' things (used for extreme weather notifications and that) ?

Archived