IGNORED

Monty Python to Reunite

BCM

http://news.sky.com/story/1170619/monty-pythons-circus-set-to-fly-again

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24999401

Though I have an awful lot of affection for Monty Python, I'm not sure a reunion will really work, or even be very funny. Last few times I've seen Cleese on TV he's come across as a bit of a twat really, and I recently saw Michael Palin doing a cringe inducing pseudo-rendition of the dead parrott sketch on the awful Sarah Millican show.

Still got a lot of respect for Terry Jones and Terry Gilliam but I reckon this whole thing is probably a bad idea.

Thoughts?

As long as there's some quality control and they have time to rehearse being funny, do some little theatrical bits that they wrote themselves in impromptu performances, learn to channel whatever made them them in the first place. If they just walk in saying 'i'm john cleese, bow down before me fanboy yes men in the production team that have grown up worshipping me', well perhaps they should set it on the titanic. (cause it's going down)

Ohh, a stage show. Well that would be alright, once they hit their stride. Don't know if i'd want to bother with the first couple of weeks of performances. Don't know if i'd care to see them re-do the classics either, but you just know that this is all we'll have because that is what the demand will be for.

I'm skeptical too, but honestly if they're all on board it's probably a good sign.

Although he created one of favorite Python spin-offs, the Beatles parody The Rutles, Eric Idle's Spamalot show was met with more lukewarm reception from the other members; Terry Jones flat-out thought it was pointless. They were overall supportive but not involved at all and at the time rather detached from reviving Monty Python. So with that said, if they're all in then I'm cautiously optimistic. I wasn't expecting this at all - perhaps they just all want to hang out again for old times sake...they are all in their 70s now.

Ohh, a stage show.

yeah the BBC article says a stage show, but the the Sky one says it's not been revealed yet whether to be stage show, TV show or even maybe a film...

Ohh, a stage show.

yeah the BBC article says a stage show, but the the Sky one says it's not been revealed yet whether to be stage show, TV show or even maybe a film...

Yeah lol, i read the sky article first. The pictures were bigger. heh ;-] Plus i thought being sky, they wouldn't waffle in an attempt to show off their prose and just get to the point.

actually on further investigation it looks like a stage show...could be a staging ground (see what i did there) though to gauge reactions potentially leading to more stuff - despite my reservations i'd be quite keen to see a new Python film...

Well this is welcome news, even if there is skepticism regarding whether they've "still got it."

I enjoyed many Flying Circus sketches during my teens. While The Holy Grail has become widely known and acclaimed here in the States, that's merely the tip of the iceberg i.m.o. No one's truly a MP fan unless they've seen and enjoyed the Flying Circuses.

I hope the crew can pull of their reunion act with success.

I'll play the chapman type. Do it for free, plus booze, just to really feel the part. Actually i wouldn't need the booze, well perhaps some, just not the cancer, so no cigarettes thankyou.

Anyway, i'm sure that i could pull off a debonair smart arse. Could play one as well.

Guest disparaissant

I'll play the chapman type. Do it for free, plus booze, just to really feel the part. Actually i wouldn't need the booze, well perhaps some, just not the cancer, so no cigarettes thankyou.

Anyway, i'm sure that i could pull off a debonair smart arse. Could play one as well.

you aren't gay enough

Read my last line again and think about how you went wrong. Also, he was about as loud and flaming as flamingo that didn't generate an heat signature and wasn't actually there. So one wouldn't need to .. oh i've already used that analogy, /smirk/

I think they can still do it without chapman personally. The entire 4th season of the show was sans John Cleese and it was still really good. John Cleese has always been pretty arrogant about stuff even way back when he claimed that he was the only one coming up with 'original ideas' in the troupe with Chapman, he stated that the 'cheeseshop sketch' was one of the,, which is odd since it's clearly a riff/redux of the Dead Parrot sketch. From what i understand there was always a rivalry between two camps the one of Terry Jones/Gilliam and Cleese/Chapman. I'd be perfectly fine with a reunion of just Jones, Palin Idle and Gilliam if Cleese feels like being a bitch

"I'm quite excited about it. I hope it makes us a lot of money. I hope to be able to pay off my mortgage!"

Hey, that's pretty funny, right?

If it's all new material, it might be worth a gander. I'd like to see what they think is funny as a group these days. I don't think I'd want to see them butcher old skits. Unless the gag is in the butchering itself somehow. That could be funny.

My parents went to see John Cleese on his Matrimony Tour a couple of years ago and said it was very funny, I believe them.

Cleese has always "had it" IMO. Not quite sure if he could still pull off the manic stairs / shouting / goosestepping around funny walks with the same energy as he used to though?

+1 on hoping it would all be new material. A stage show would work very well IMO - all the interludes / costume changes would be Gilliam sketches and I like the idea of that.

Interested to see 'em, but it's really only the novelty of seeing Monty Python before they die. I think they know that. They can get away with a shit show (or at least a tame show) on goodwill alone.

I might try to get tickets when they go on sale, if I'm aware and on a computer. But I won't try very hard.

Archived