IGNORED

How did you change your life?

Frank Poole

I have to recommend doing what I did and seeing if there is a public mental health program in Seattle. Try and get some affordable therapy. Shit changed my life, it's worth a shot.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WTF does mental health problem even do? So you talk to a therapist to feel better and then they prescribe you with drugs. I don't even have insurance. I'm sure there are worse mental people whom they'd prioritize. Seriously, NSA should pay for all my shit, including my rent since they installed all those cameras and microphones in my apartment.

I don't even have the money to get a lawyer to sue them for all the abuse they put me through... What kind of fucking country is this? My neighbour gets paid for letting them hack my router.

Internet Trolls Really Are Horrible People Narcissistic, Machiavellian, psychopathic, and sadistic.

The research, conducted by Erin Buckels of the University of Manitoba and two colleagues, sought to directly investigate whether people who engage in trolling are characterized by personality traits that fall in the so-called Dark Tetrad: Machiavellianism (willingness to manipulate and deceive others), narcissism (egotism and self-obsession), psychopathy (the lack of remorse and empathy), and sadism (pleasure in the suffering of others).

It is hard to underplay the results: The study found correlations, sometimes quite significant, between these traits and trolling behavior. What’s more, it also found a relationship between all Dark Tetrad traits (except for narcissism) and the overall time that an individual spent, per day, commenting on the Internet.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/climate_desk/2014/02/internet_troll_personality_study_machiavellianism_narcissism_psychopathy.html

and I just got a BoConcept catalogue delivered to my mail without my actual address on it. So much fucking bullshit... It seems me questioning all these people's trickery make the NSA or Russian hackers uneasy. So fucking retarded. This is outright abuse.

Internet Trolls Really Are Horrible People Narcissistic, Machiavellian, psychopathic, and sadistic.

The research, conducted by Erin Buckels of the University of Manitoba and two colleagues, sought to directly investigate whether people who engage in trolling are characterized by personality traits that fall in the so-called Dark Tetrad: Machiavellianism (willingness to manipulate and deceive others), narcissism (egotism and self-obsession), psychopathy (the lack of remorse and empathy), and sadism (pleasure in the suffering of others).

It is hard to underplay the results: The study found correlations, sometimes quite significant, between these traits and trolling behavior. What’s more, it also found a relationship between all Dark Tetrad traits (except for narcissism) and the overall time that an individual spent, per day, commenting on the Internet.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/climate_desk/2014/02/internet_troll_personality_study_machiavellianism_narcissism_psychopathy.html

I think there are a few ?uestions to this that should be cleared up.

1. What's the population that's been researched? Are they attention seekers in general (which would explain their egotism & self-obsession to begin with)

2. What are the questions asked? How a question is posed has a grand influence on the results. Also; how trustworthy is the questionnaire to begin with? Does it have empiric proof to it's validity, or has it been crafted to suit the researchers need?

3. What were the analysis used? Statistics are a minefield, and can easily be influenced to fit the researchers need.

3. What's the purpose of this research? That's the main question I always ask myself these days, when I read a research; what's their ultimate goal?

I think there is some merit to trolling, given that it's not sadistic pain inducement, but more as a fun way of deceiving someone, ultimately resulting in the education of the person, which as a result has become more conscious about how he or she stands in the world and decides to react to people that decide to play with them, either for good or for bad.

On a general note: the internet populace in general has really changed from people who treat internet as a fun playground, to these very annoying, very (falsely) morally superior social justice warriors who, under the guise of social libretardionism, are campaigning to justify their "fisherprice world with rounded corners" .. world, instead of rolling with the punches and actually being able to take a hit or two, ultimately coming out better; there will always be people who try to evoke a negative response. It's best to grow the ability to deal with this in a fashionable manner, and shrug it off.

The internet gives people a place to have unfiltered opinions, something which is pretty much uncommon in society (due to ostracization), and yeh, when you take that filter off, there can be a lot of shit.

Then again, most trolls nowadays are shit at trolling, and just hurt other people's feelings to feel better about themselves: there's no fun in it, just pleasure from pain.

LOL, that touched some nerve endings..

And "Weev" ... who is this sad fuck?

He pretty much affirms the outcome of the research when he responds with a blurb of how society functions these days when asked about whether or not he takes any responsibility for his online messages. He's probably unable because of those traits, don't you think?

In two online studies (total N = 1215), respondents completed personality inventories and a survey of their Internet commenting styles. Overall, strong positive associations emerged among online commenting frequency, trolling enjoyment, and troll identity, pointing to a common construct underlying the measures. Both studies revealed similar patterns of relations between trolling and the Dark Tetrad of personality: trolling correlated positively with sadism, psychopathy, and Machiavellianism, using both enjoyment ratings and identity scores. Of all personality measures, sadism showed the most robust associations with trolling and, importantly, the relationship was specific to trolling behavior. Enjoyment of other online activities, such as chatting and debating, was unrelated to sadism. Thus cyber-trolling appears to be an Internet manifestation of everyday sadism.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0191886914000324

oh, I ain't mad godel, it's just something I perceive.

Anyway, the study:

>In two online studies (total N = 1215), respondents completed personality inventories and a survey of their Internet commenting styles.

That's great, but who decides to answer these questionnaires? Why would they? The question still remains: who is the population?

>Overall, strong positive associations emerged among online commenting frequency,

Ok, that can be counted

>trolling enjoyment

How is this measured? "I enjoy seeing someone rage of an completely idiotic statement, because it's fun to see a dog chase it's tail". I am still pretty much interested in what questions were asked

>troll identity

What's a troll identity? The term is so vague, and based on the eye of the beholder.

>Both studies revealed similar patterns of relations between trolling and the Dark Tetrad of personality

Dark Tetrad.. lel.. really. Psychopathy and Machiavellianism are pretty rancid (especially psychopathy.. machiavellianism can be argued) but Dark Tetrad is a really lame label. Well, I'm not here to argue semantics.

>trolling correlated positively with sadism, psychopathy, and Machiavellianism, using both enjoyment ratings and identity scores.

Based on what, again.

>Of all personality measures, sadism showed the most robust associations with trolling and, importantly, the relationship was specific to trolling behavior.

Some people enjoy to give pain, and some people like to receive it. BDSM is a pretty big and devoted subculture, and to place sadism in the 'Dark Tetrad' .. well, I have my doubts about that.

And about Weev:

>He pretty much affirms the outcome of the research when he responds with a blurb of how society functions these days when asked about whether or not he takes any responsibility for his online messages. He's probably unable because of those traits, don't you think?

I think he does. Someone insulted him, he insults back. I am not defending what he says (I wouldn't do so), but he should be able to say so, don't you think? Wie de bal kaatst etc etc

why you guys textwalling about the dark tetrad this isn't an aspiring white guy gangsta rappah forum

round these parts we prefer the dark tetrahedron, a set of idm tenets that mostly boil down to making all your track titles stealth references to penises

anyways

i changed my life by moving to dah big city from the country last summer, but now i'm getting the vibe that i actually am country folk cuz there's like a bajillion hip clubs here but all i wanna do is plant beans & harvest dulse

why you guys textwalling about the dark tetrad this isn't an aspiring white guy gangsta rappah forum

round these parts we prefer the dark tetrahedron, a set of idm tenets that mostly boil down to making all your track titles stealth references to penises

anyways

i changed my life by moving to dah big city from the country last summer, but now i'm getting the vibe that i actually am country folk cuz there's like a bajillion hip clubs here but all i wanna do is plant beans & harvest dulse

sounds like you figured it out a lot sooner than I did

anyways

I did the opposite last summer - moved from the city to the country. It's much quieter and more peaceful, but on the same token I feel out of place, especially in terms of my music tastes. But fuck it. Urban environs make for a nice occasional visit, but rural ones make for a better residence.

If working out hard for 1 year straight doesn't sort you out, basically nothing will. Except MDMA up the ass. But basically, working out hard and eating right can fix da brainz, brah.

^speakin which

I was lifting weights for a while but ultimately the concept of non-utilitarian muscle began to clash with some of my minimalist ideals. That & way too many bodybuilder types are total HRGAH MANLINESS jabronies & guys who're still ruled by their inner sad fat kid.

i still think working out feels gravy as heck but now I try to get most of it from bodyweight improvisation or practical activities (ie lifting big heavy things that actually need to be moved somewhere)

Please post any significant moments in your life that have completely changed your perspective on how you live and what decisions you make on a day to day basis.

None of your fucking business. Prick.

Why are some of you bleeding your souls to some random dude who you don't know?

What's your significant moments in your life Mister Poole?

I know who Frank is...

^speakin which

I was lifting weights for a while but ultimately the concept of non-utilitarian muscle began to clash with some of my minimalist ideals. That & way too many bodybuilder types are total HRGAH MANLINESS jabronies & guys who're still ruled by their inner sad fat kid.

i still think working out feels gravy as heck but now I try to get most of it from bodyweight improvisation or practical activities (ie lifting big heavy things that actually need to be moved somewhere)

Non-utilitarian muscle? That's why it's good to have practical goals, like being the ultimate ninja. That's what my middle school through college muscle building and martial arts training was about- to kill someone before they even see you move. That being said, I hate violence now, so I like working out because it's important to use one's body in the way it was meant to be used. I am a strong believer in calisthenics. I believe the capacity of our minds + body is incredible, and only by traveling the paths that support this, can we ever realize our truest selves. Working out is about coordination and intention, so ultimately- all arts and skillz, are about coordination and harmony with surroundings and ease of interaction of consciousness with the world through action/execution. Working out also makes basically every single fucking system in the body better, so it's essentially trading training time for a body/mind upgrade. The superficial ups are that after a couple years, you look like a statuesque model of human positive will. The downside- for the lazy folk- is that you actually have to care about yourself consistently.

It's so easy to just browse the internet for 15 hours a day and never fucking do anything. But, fuck that.

life lesson learned awhile ago: beware of people who use euphemisms, people who are quick with words of love and positivity. They are most likely not filled with such that they need to constantly talk about it to show others how positive they appear to be.

The word euphemism comes from the Greek word ευφημία (euphemia), meaning "the use of words of good omen", which in turn is derived from the Greek root-words eu (ευ), "good/well" + pheme (φήμι) "speech/speaking", meaning glory, flattering speech, praise. Etymologically, the eupheme is the opposite of the blaspheme (evil-speaking). The term euphemism itself was used as a euphemism by the ancient Greeks, meaning "to keep a holy silence" (speaking well by not speaking at all).

Ah yes the ancient Greeks were a shady bunch, don't even get me started on Aristole.

Archived