IGNORED

True Detective (SPOILERS)

Atop

Guest Mirezzi

chenGOD - lol

Last night, me talking to my wife at around the 45 minute mark in the show:

"I really wish they'd lay off the boozing, adulterous, grizzled cop who gets pussy way out of his league trope."

Regarding Rust fucking Marty's wife though, I actually thought that was perfectly executed. She was incredibly clever and Rust's reaction post-coitus was solid gold. "What the fuck did you do this for?" or whatever it was he said...just awesome.

This episode was a great one. The last two hours seem set up to deliver the goods since Rust and Marty are ostensibly reuniting 10 years later as brother cops-in-arms.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

chenGOD - lol

Last night, me talking to my wife at around the 45 minute mark in the show:

"I really wish they'd lay off the boozing, adulterous, grizzled cop who gets pussy way out of his league trope."

Regarding Rust fucking Marty's wife though, I actually thought that was perfectly executed. She was incredibly clever and Rust's reaction post-coitus was solid gold. "What the fuck did you do this for?" or whatever it was he said...just awesome.

This episode was a great one. The last two hours seem set up to deliver the goods since Rust and Marty are ostensibly reuniting 10 years later as brother cops-in-arms.

Yeah i actually had to rewatch that scene, but goddamn Maggie is cold and calculating (Rust is in italics):

"He'll have to go, you see, because this he won't live with.

Get the fuck out of here.

This You get the fuck This will hurt him.

Get the fuck out of here right now.

I'm sorry, but thank you."

That is some scheming.

did this show already jump the shark? It kinda dropped off for me. Either way, if it turns out to be a red herring that the detective is the killer or not, i feel that amping up of the suspicious nature of him for whatever purpose comes off as sort of cheap, too cheap for a show as well done as this.

Anyone cringe when that girl gave Woody Harrilson sex eyes in the bar? extremely unrealistic. Would have been a lot more natural if he was the one who initiated it.

was the sex scene in the kitchen supposed to make us think that Matt fucks like a serial killer who suffers from premature ejaculation? I still think the show is good, but this last episode was one of the weakest i thought.

did this show already jump the shark? It kinda dropped off for me. Either way, if it turns out to be a red herring that the detective is the killer or not, i feel that amping up of the suspicious nature of him for whatever purpose comes off as sort of cheap, too cheap for a show as well done as this.

Anyone cringe when that girl gave Woody Harrilson sex eyes in the bar? extremely unrealistic. Would have been a lot more natural if he was the one who initiated it.

was the sex scene in the kitchen supposed to make us think that Matt fucks like a serial killer who suffers from premature ejaculation? I still think the show is good, but this last episode was one of the weakest i thought.

I don't think it's jumped the shark at all...

Why is it unrealistic for a girl to give a guy sex eyes? Do you think girls don't want to just fuck on occasion? Plus remember she obviously has some sort of obsession with him, as he gave her that cash years ago telling her to get out of the whorehouse.

i just thought it was not a believable scene personally. Woody Harrelson is not exactly a traditionally attractive man, but I guess in texas randomly very hot girls in bars might give sex eyes to a guy of his appearance.
i guess 'jumped the shark' is too harsh, im just getting tired of this idea of them trying to tell us he might be the actual killer they've been looking for, i'm hoping its purely a red herring, but even so I don't like when stories have that element.

Yeah I know what you mean re: the red herring, but I think this show is too smart for that.

Woody might not be typically attractive, but he exhibits confidence, and chicks dig confidence. Especially girls with "daddy issues", for want of a better term.

Guest Mirezzi

I shared Robbie's criticism, maybe not as intensely, but I certainly commented on it in real time with my wife. That girl from the T-Mobile shop was bonkers fucking hot and yeah, I think Harrelson is disgusting, so it made very little sense to me. My biggest gripe was with casting. Between Alex Daddario and this T-Mobile girl, they cast women at around 8 or 9 out of 10 on the hotness scale, when maybe a 6 or 7 would have sufficed and been a lot more realistic.

In other words, I'd expect Harrelson to be banging Amanda Bynes types if I wanted to pass the eye test.

Having said that, I also think Michelle Monaghan is way out of his league but she's a good enough actress to sell it. That + she has enough screen time. I think she's really beautiful.

Regarding her sex scene with Rust, I thought it was fantastic per chenGOD's observation. The mechanics of the sex itself were perfect. She was in 100% grift mode and Rust's chemistry with her has been transparent since their first scene during that fateful drunken dinner. He could never look her in the eye because he kinda fell in love with her. Their sex operated in exactly that way. I don't think he'd have been capable of even a quicky with her if there was any eye contact. Monaghan has used her eyes very effectively in her performance. She "sees through" Rust - he knows it, she knows it, and she used it to brutally confront Marty. That moment at the dinner table where she casually drops that she fucked Rust was one of the show's finer moments, including the half-choke he gives her afterward.

Guest Mirezzi

im just getting tired of this idea of them trying to tell us he might be the actual killer they've been looking for, i'm hoping its purely a red herring, but even so I don't like when stories have that element.

I think I'd agree with you if I thought it was an earnest attempt by the plot to fool the viewers. It's not though. It's a red herring being served up by the two black detectives and one doesn't entirely get the impression that they even believe that it's Rust. Rather, they come across as though they've been tasked with making it seem like it could be Rust - to Marty, to Rust himself, to Marty's ex-wife. If Tuttle has the sort of power we've been led to believe, then this is simply another task force set out to push all comers away from even the slightest scent regarding the missing/dead children and women.

Does that make sense? I don't think any but the dumbest of viewers is sitting back and thinking, "Fuck man, maybe it was Rust!"

He's by far, despite all his compensatory philosophizing, the most moral and righteous character in the show - its genuine "hero" in every way. Look how he handled Marty's attack! I'd argue he was a bit christian-like in turning the cheek. "Okay, Marty, get your licks in." He hardly even put up a fight, which is saying a lot when we all know that Rust can very capably handle himself physically. He let Marty hit him because he believed he deserved it. His screaming at Maggie was out of guilt. He knew his dick had done something wrong - morally wrong - and it incensed him. Rust is quite obviously the show's moral center and Maggie is a close 2nd.

Woody might not be typically attractive, but he exhibits confidence, and chicks dig confidence. Especially girls with "daddy issues", for want of a better term.

well this is undeniably true, i just don't feel it worked in the context of the show. I liked the part though where she asked to get fucked in the ass.

and Mirezzi, i think what i got from that scene was different almost like the psychological profiling FBI agents do on serial killers, that after many of them have sex or sexually interact with a women they become intensely angry and sometimes violent. It didn't seem to me like a simple display of anger for knowing what she was up to, it seemed more than that, but maybe im just reading too much into the red herring direction the show is taking.

Originally McConaughey read for the part of Marty, so the character sleeping with, and marrying, attractive woman kind of makes sense. I don't think it was written for a ghoul, even though it ended being played by one.

Guest Mirezzi

Originally McConaughey read for the part of Marty, so the character sleeping with, and marrying, attractive woman kind of makes sense. I don't think it was written for a ghoul, even though it ended being played by one.

hahaha, totally...ghoul is right. Harrelson is truly repugnant IMO. That fucking underbite and lisp have really started to drive me crazy. He's an intensely unlikeable character, yet there's something about Woody's old school "Cheers" star intertext that keeps me from totally hating him.

Anyway, I agree with your reading of the "profiling" angle *except* these are not in fact FBI agents. They're rank-and-file and therefore hilariously corruptible state police detectives. They're no different than Cohle or Hart. I've interpreted them so far as being very likely Tuttle ringers. You might be right, but I thought the "It was Rust!" red herring bait was really weak and not a major plot twist.

I clearly very much disagree with your read of the sex scene though. I saw two people who are, in fact, very fucking attracted to one another and that the whole aggressive nature of it had nothing to do with Cohle fucking like a rapist or serial killer. lol. It was just a steamy, meat and potatoes, adulterous romp. Rust couldn't look her in the eye, but I'm sure Maggie would have had whatever kinda sex did the trick. So long as she could tell Marty that she fucked Rust, job done.

Over the last couple of nights i've watched the first five episodes and i'm pretty impressed with everything about this show. The first three episodes are about getting to know the players, bold move taking that long, exploiting the luxury tv series has over films, episode 4 we are thrown in at the deep end, the deeply flawed characters almost become merged and we're in the depths of a sordid mystery. The non linear structure is gripping...held together by immense performances by all the cast. This is some shit hot acting. The music is brooding and forboding + I thought the Homeland opening credits sequence was mind blowing until i saw this shit. Its genius.

(Starts watching episode 6..................) :-D

Guest Mirezzi

I was with you until you lauded the opening credits for Homeland. When I watched that ridiculously bad show, I had to fast-forward through its credits!

I actually think the opening credits for True Detective are probably the worst part of the show..i fast forward through them every time.

I'm not getting the Harrelson hate - Kingpin, No Country For Old Men, A Scanner Darkly, Thin Red Line, Natural Born Killers, People vs. Larry Flynt - all fantastic roles for him. Maybe I just like him cause he's very pro-weed. lol

I find these credits mesmerising. Weirdly reminds me of the end credits of Natural Born Killers they way shape landscapes against faces with a Leonard Cohen style soundtrack

Anyway, watched the 6th episode just now, (i can scroll back and read thread without worrying about spoilers now, fuck yeah)...it's another powerhouse of acting prowess, some pretty intense shit. Both cops attending to their seperate agendas, Mart's boomin beaver and Rust's going on the trail of the church and weird alternative education shit they got goin on which resulted in a guy cutting open his own beanbag and taking the beans out. Seems to be a bit of a cover up goin on. Both guys now reunited in the present day presumably sittin at a bar in the next episode, i wonder if we'll still get the flashback sequences. Seems likely they'll re-team and delve deeper into the quagmire of shit. Excellent set up for the next parts.

Guest Mirezzi

I actually think the opening credits for True Detective are probably the worst part of the show..i fast forward through them every time.

I'm not getting the Harrelson hate - Kingpin, No Country For Old Men, A Scanner Darkly, Thin Red Line, Natural Born Killers, People vs. Larry Flynt - all fantastic roles for him. Maybe I just like him cause he's very pro-weed. lol

I think he's awesome! I'm only talking about the character...and Harrelson's fuckability. If I was gonna fuck a dude, he'd be way low on my list. S'all.

I think he's awesome! I'm only talking about the character...and Harrelson's fuckability. If I was gonna fuck a dude, he'd be way low on my list. S'all.

Ah ok...I gotcha now. Concur, would not bust a nut in Woody's rectum.

in a way its cheap they went for falling out over a girl, and the fact that marty still refuses to give rust in is weird because they don't seem to have any sort of friendhsip. same with the not fixed break light. i wonder if its even possible to not fix your break light for 8 years. anyway, it looks more like they dislike eachother from the start, and as much as i get covering for rust when martys fate is in danger, i dont get why he wont tell them rust fucked his ex wife.

i found the new episode underwhelming, but i think it was kinda suppose to be that. first five established the 1995 events, this one the 2002, and now we're going to get the 2012 and all the answers.

i kinda hope it won't resolve, twin peaks style. but i really doubt they would do that.

who killed Tuttle?

why?

who is the Yellow King and who are committing the new Carcosa murders?

here are my guesses:

Marty.

Rev Tuttle molested his daughter along with tons of other children, all connected to the Yellow King escapades.

Tuttle's brother, the governor of Louisiana in the Yellow King, and his cult, the interrogating cops included, are the ones engineering the ritualistic murders.

"His face, his face......his face.....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

LOVE IT!

Was it just me or did the bulb in the broken tail light look just a bit like a tiny skull?

I thought it was just to show that Rust hadn't cared enough to fix it after it got broke in the fight with Marty.

Archived