IGNORED

True Detective (SPOILERS)

Atop

Guest Mirezzi

I am glad this thread brought mirezzi back to life....

The Lawnmower Man indeed.....

also the scene with Marty's daughters playing outside and throwing the tiara into the tree was an experience for myself, something transcendent happened while watching it, I felt like we were meant to feel very ill-at-ease in this scene without knowing why. Powerful stuff.

I felt that way during the entire episode. It was just vaguely fucking unsettling from start to finish.

Sayeth a friend of mine:

Rewatched TD ep 5. I think its the episode where the series really starts to shift and turn inwards into the detectives - culminating in Hart saying "there's too much information" at the end, which is probably why I overlooked the first 20 minutes. Used to taking their auditory descriptions of the visual for granted, when in this episode it is shifting between the 2 detectives telling the same collectively agreed upon lie over time, even in legal depositions, throughout a period of 15 years. So it becomes in some sense a Citizen Kane "March of Time" history of the lie in their personal life, which will probably figure into what lent to their actual dissolution. A mini-Watergate at the beginning of the show which foreshadows the further suggestions about Cohle at the end: was he corrupt before or after this point? Although it should be a more commonly used device, I can't recall a TV show or movie using flashbacks in this way, where the audio is clearly contradicting the visual description - at first I thought my torrent was fake. Like the Touch of Evil tracking shot in a TV show in episode 4, chalk it up to another of the show's formal innovations.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was finally fully won over by the show by the end of episode 2. The first episode was a little questionable, but now I fully understand the appeal. And are people claiming the 'tracking shot' was actually done in one take? That was my understanding of it when i read about it, but clearly it's spliced together (cleverly) from at least 3 separately filmed pieces, at least one cut when it pans up towards the copter and back down.

Well, according to this they had planned some points that could be spliced together to get the shot they wanted, but the thing that is in the show is indeed a single take.

I feel like I should love this show. It is supposed to be hitting all the right notes for me. It doesn't. I find the dialogue so heavy-handed as to be endlessly distracting. The plausibility is very low on all fronts. No one goes in and out of deep cover like that. When Ginger asked him to do a job and said "I live the outlaw life man!"...flol, said no actual "outlaw" ever. Rust is becoming unbearable to me with his existential heft. This interrogation process is just too bizarre as an exposition tool because no detective would ever talk about man as evolutionary mishap et al. in that situation.

The trouble for me is that this would make a hell of a novel because you can get away with so much more when it's written. You don't have to feel weird when Woody Harrelson says "myopic" out loud. That said, the story could get juicy and for that reason, I'm certainly hanging on for the ride. I know I'm being overly critical but the meat of the show could get good enough for me to overlook the burdensome aspects

will no one speak up about the mistress court reporter played by Alexandra Daddario? Episode 2 on the couch? Porcelain curves so supple they made you want to take a bite? Alright then, I'll see myself out

None of this bothered me. It's a horror story for sure, and the heavy handed existential woes fit like a glove in my opinion.

Oh and yes Alexandra Daddario can blow up my marriage any time.

I was finally fully won over by the show by the end of episode 2. The first episode was a little questionable, but now I fully understand the appeal. And are people claiming the 'tracking shot' was actually done in one take? That was my understanding of it when i read about it, but clearly it's spliced together (cleverly) from at least 3 separately filmed pieces, at least one cut when it pans up towards the copter and back down.

Well, according to this they had planned some points that could be spliced together to get the shot they wanted, but the thing that is in the show is indeed a single take.

I don't buy it for a second, so why would they bother panning up to the sky and showing a CGI copter against a black sky background and then back down again? If they actually filmed it in a single shot, adding this in would make no sense since it immediately destroys the illusion to anyone who's ever filmed anything that it was done in a single shot. If they're getting people to believe it though, more power to them. I'm totally for people who create art or film or music tricking the audience into thinking they're seeing something that they actually aren't.

don't get me wrong, it was a genius move to have on an HBO show that is only on it's 4th episode, but it's just funny to me how gullible people are and how fast false information spreads over the internet.

Hahaha, of course you don't buy it. You made up your mind about it and if something is contrary to it then it must be lies. But whatever...it was a neat shot and rare to see on TV. It could have been stop-motion for all I care as long as it would have suited the scene and worked as a whole.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I don't buy it for a second, so why would they bother panning up to the sky and showing a CGI copter against a black sky background and then back down again? If they actually filmed it in a single shot, adding this in would make no sense since it immediately destroys the illusion to anyone who's ever filmed anything that it was done in a single shot. If they're getting people to believe it though, more power to them. I'm totally for people who create art or film or music tricking the audience into thinking they're seeing something that they actually aren't.

don't get me wrong, it was a genius move to have on an HBO show that is only on it's 4th episode, but it's just funny to me how gullible people are and how fast false information spreads over the internet.

That hellicopter pan up shot was obviously after the 6 minutes of one take if I remember correctly. When they get in the car it shows like 3 obvious cuts and then it goes to the seperate hellicopter shot. No one said it goes ALL THE WAY to the credits in a one take, but it goes close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_HuFuKiq8U

You can read a bunch of articles with director talking about it.

It's too bad that Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey won't be in the future seasons...

Is that true? That bites if so. Smart move on their part however - get all the credit of the hype form the excellent first season, and then as the show loses it's "je ne sais quois", they aren't associated with any of that slide.

Last episode was deep: but obviously - "If you get the opportunity you should kill yourself" was fucking incredible.

Kinda wish they didn't have the cliched wife fucking partner trope, but there it is.

It's too bad that Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey won't be in the future seasons...

Is that true? That bites if so. Smart move on their part however - get all the credit of the hype form the excellent first season, and then as the show loses it's "je ne sais quois", they aren't associated with any of that slide.

Last episode was deep: but obviously - "If you get the opportunity you should kill yourself" was fucking incredible.

Kinda wish they didn't have the cliched wife fucking partner trope, but there it is.

It was always going to be an anthology type show with each season being a self-contained story and characters.

It was always going to be an anthology type show with each season being a self-contained story and characters.

Ah I see - haven't read much about it really. Well let's hope that the next anthology also garners some kick-ass performances.

I can see this style doing really well for well known actors who have been out of the limelight for a little bit. Solid writing, and solid direction, based with a relatively short time commitment for the actors.

Hahaha, of course you don't buy it. You made up your mind about it and if something is contrary to it then it must be lies. But whatever...it was a neat shot and rare to see on TV. It could have been stop-motion for all I care as long as it would have suited the scene and worked as a whole.

but i saw the cut with my own eyes, i'm not going to pretend to hallucinate a single take scene that didn't actually occur just because the creators claimed it was actually in one take

That hellicopter pan up shot was obviously after the 6 minutes of one take if I remember correctly. When they get in the car it shows like 3 obvious cuts and then it goes to the seperate hellicopter shot. No one said it goes ALL THE WAY to the credits in a one take, but it goes close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_HuFuKiq8U

You can read a bunch of articles with director talking about it.

well when you say 'no one said it goes all the way to the credits in one take' that's simply not my experience, in fact many people who encouraged me to watch the show said exactly that. It's still very impressive, i was just expecting something as it was described to me

That clip that Blanket Fort Collapse posted seems like one take - right up until they get in the car...are you talking about the pan up to th helicopter at around the 2:50 mark?

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

That's one of the points they could have cut to another take if needed - there are a few more I think too, like where the camera pans past the door frame at 5:00. It's impressive whether it's one take or not though to be honest, great scene

Yeah it's a great shot regardless. I'm no film nerd, so I actually don't really care. It was an awesome scene, the tension was really palatable.

Anyways, be interested to see how they wrap up the whole yellow king/carcosa storyline along with the Marty/Rust storyline.

Archived