IGNORED

True Detective (SPOILERS)

Atop

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The philosophy is deep at times, but sometimes Rust goes too far and it starts to feel like an exercise. The best philosophy is what you can glean through what is not said, the subtlty and mystery of some of the scenes. I think Rust contradicts himself a few times. In the car he says humans should opt out, have one last midnight together (efilism), but later on he says the one redeeming aspect of life is kids (pro-natalism).

Basically the philosophy discourse is there as a signifier so people into metaphysics will stop theorizing about klein bottles and watch HBO. But they also have an interesting narrative.

Many people are vicarious viewers, wishing they could be as badass of a nihilist as rust.

so i was thinking it would be pretty clever if the title 'true detectives' was meant to sort of mislead the viewing audience into a supernatural cliff dive later down the road. I hope it goes off the rails in this way, the 'yellow king' stuff makes me think we have a lot more interesting shitin store.

I was finally fully won over by the show by the end of episode 2. The first episode was a little questionable, but now I fully understand the appeal. And are people claiming the 'tracking shot' was actually done in one take? That was my understanding of it when i read about it, but clearly it's spliced together (cleverly) from at least 3 separately filmed pieces, at least one cut when it pans up towards the copter and back down.

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

You mean ep 4? That scene was fucking epic. Def reminded me of Children of Men but yeah it's spliced. Need to watch that again

Watched the first 4 episodes last night. I liked it very much. Harrelson and McConnaughey carry the show well. Rust is a great character in all his nihilism and I see him as more honest and true than the Marty character. Love the southern gothic vibe and the King in Yellow reference had me smiling, I wonder if there will be a supernatural element reveal or if it will distill to just the pure evil in mankind. And the last scene in episode 4 was tense and great. The long take something rarely seen in TV. I am also glad that from what I understand this story will have a conclusion after the 8 episodes and the next season will have a new story and new characters. I don't feel like investing into a new show for the long haul and I would welcome more of these anthology type shows in the future, which deliver a tight and focused story at the pace the creators would want.

i like that, saying a bunch of stuff you don't believe to create a persona.

He seems to believe it to an extent but his actions seem to suggest that it only goes so far. I think he does exaggerate it for effect.

He entertains the ideas for their worth just as much as for his own amusement.

Some of the detective work leaves me lost, why did Rust go to question the school lawn mower? And the birds, fuck I missed that first time thru. I see a little Twin Peaks influence sometimes which is great.

Also where was Rust at the end of ep 5? A school or just some random abandoned building, or are we not supposed to know where he is until ep 6?

Guest Mirezzi

If you want a deep dive on some of the mythology being deployed:

http://thinkprogress.org/alyssa/2014/02/16/3292391/true-detective-carcosa/

My favorite of the article is this:

But there’s a joke in Blish’s short story, too, a moment when Blish and Atherling talk about why Atherling didn’t show the story to his wife. “Female common sense would blow the whole thing sky-high in a minute,” Blish admits of their obsession. Maybe that’s true of Maggie, too, and she’ll get out of this all right. And maybe it’s true of Hart and Cohle, that they’re caught in an obsession with no answers, at the expense of themselves and everyone else, but that female common sense, so lacking in so much of True Detective, could have cut through with the kind of clarity Hart frequently laments that he lacks. The story of True Detective is structured like the spiral on Dora Lange’s back, both in relation to itself and the larger Carcosa mythology: it goes round and round, but the city itself can never quite be seen clearly, or its power would vanish. Or maybe, like the inhabitant of Carcosa, Hart and Cohle are going to end up staring at their own graves, and taking their secrets with them.

i really like the show so far, but for the love of god, matthew SPEAK UP. whats with all the country texas twang whisperin' sheeit. its annoying.

Hehe. was thinkin the same thing. This freaky doomsday philosophical beer guzzlin cig smokin hillbilly needs his own personal subtitles.

At first it seemed a bit slow and predictable, but episodes 4 & 5 really step up the drama and it all starts to seem big, dark and deep. I like the idea of this Carcosa place and the yellow king.

I am glad this thread brought mirezzi back to life....

The Lawnmower Man indeed.....

also the scene with Marty's daughters playing outside and throwing the tiara into the tree was an experience for myself, something transcendent happened while watching it, I felt like we were meant to feel very ill-at-ease in this scene without knowing why. Powerful stuff.

Archived