22 members have voted

1. 1. Midnight Vultures?

• Mixing Business with Leather
    • Homegirl's on the line, but yr daddy's off the hook
    • I can smell the VD in the club tonight

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bah, Midnight Vultures is pure toss whether you put a novelty label on it or not. He should have recorded and not released it if he felt the need to get that out of his system.

Thank you for saying that.

Bah, this album rules. So much so that I invite ye'alls to meet me outside DMX style. Seriously there's more creativity per bpm on display here from start to finish than 98% of your desert island discogs list. To dismiss it as silly or cheesy or whatever else you've named the bug up your butt is shortsighted and you fail to appreciate the absurdist brilliance therein.

It's not so much that it's cheesy, which it is, it's more that it sonically sucks. It was so much of a let down for people that had come to trust his sense of taste. I just happened to catch the first single off that album's video a couple of nights ago and i didn't realise that it had jack black in it, i think that symbolizes everything about the album and how worthless it is. Perhaps it helped him to speak to a wider audience, and make new younger fans of the time, i don't know but for me the whole exercise blows.

It's not controversial to say that you like it on watmm though, because over the years, many here have gushed excitedly over the thing. So keep your fists in your pockets and grow a pair and let us older fans just knowingly continue to less than care.

Bah, Midnight Vultures is pure toss whether you put a novelty label on it or not. He should have recorded and not released it if he felt the need to get that out of his system.

Thank you for saying that.

Bah, this album rules. So much so that I invite ye'alls to meet me outside DMX style. Seriously there's more creativity per bpm on display here from start to finish than 98% of your desert island discogs list. To dismiss it as silly or cheesy or whatever else you've named the bug up your butt is shortsighted and you fail to appreciate the absurdist brilliance therein.

It's not so much that it's cheesy, which it is, it's more that it sonically sucks. It was so much of a let down for people that had come to trust his sense of taste. I just happened to catch the first single off that album's video a couple of nights ago and i didn't realise that it had jack black in it, i think that symbolizes everything about the album and how worthless it is. Perhaps it helped him to speak to a wider audience, and make new younger fans of the time, i don't know but for me the whole exercise blows.

It's not controversial to say that you like it on watmm though, because over the years, many here have gushed excitedly over the thing. So keep your fists in your pockets and grow a pair and let us older fans just knowingly continue to less than care.

Deleter boy knows what's up.

However, Sexx Laws is one of the few tracks on this record that I do like. The video was dumb as hell, though.

Guys, it took an artist with enough of a panoramic vision to realize you can make something pretty substantial well outside the boundaries of good taste or any desire for prestige. And that artist is Beck goddammit. This isn't something new, Frank Zappa ffs. But Beck just took the odd humor that had been present for most of his albums up to this point and turned it up enough to make people uncomfortable. It actually has the spirit of the music it parodies, but also the consequences, I.e. The seedy trashiness/dirtiness of it all. Even if Beck says he's not proud if it or whatever, that's just a testament to how well the album does its job tbqh IMO.

It's not so much that it's cheesy, which it is, it's more that it sonically sucks.

See, this is where you're wrong. Sonically it's a monumental achievements of sampadelic pastiche in the post-sample-clearing era... every note, texture, and rerub on the album is so perfectly of the moment that it boggles my mind as to how it was conceived and constructed. Not unlike how a lot around here get their jollies off afx & whatnot.

At some level I think a lot of certain people's distaste for the album arises from how it doesn't fit in with a certain worldview of what beck's music is/isn't and should/shouldn't be. It just has a wonderously demented bent to it that sours the taste of those who autofellate to Sea Change, I understand that part.

Anywho I know far and well how this goes over with the watmm massif, only broke it off from the worst album thread due to my failure to understand how something I (and many an other intelligent music enthusiast) could rate as A++ get shat upon in a worst albums u oen thread. To quote someone, somewhere "Fuck that shit."

Tutti frutti, automatic bizooty

my favourite beck album, yall have mushrooms for ears

yeah guys, have some fun once in a while, you might like it

qft

nicotine & gravy is one of my favorite songs!

qft

no, not qft.

it's not meaningful to respond to criticism by saying "geez, have some fun whydontcha"

obviously people who don't like this album might also like albums that are fun wtf is wrong with y'all?

qft

no, not qft.

it's not meaningful to respond to criticism by saying "geez, have some fun whydontcha"

obviously people who don't like this album might also like albums that are fun wtf is wrong with y'all?

d00d just have fun man, cmon

Sonically awful? This record has great production. Ranks up there with angel dust in terms of production.

If you don't like the music fine and all (clearly you're wrong) but the production on this is fucking top dog balls licking fanfuckingtastic.

Like I said - get yer ears checked you heathens.

Archived