IGNORED

Aphex Twin: Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 EP

Dpek

Guest cult fiction

I don't remember Sean saying anything about acoustic instruments being too limiting... he made the "leave it to aspirational types" comment but it does seem pretty daft to consider acoustic music too limiting

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The EP is great.

Only on WATMM would anyone seriously suggest limited abilities of acoustic instruments, that they're somehow inferior to electronics. Just utter ignorance.

I might be remembering wrong but didn't sean from autechre say in the AAA, something along the lines of they didn't work with acoustic instruments that much, as they found them too limiting, in that you couldn't manipulate the sound enough...

I dunno why everyone is getting so upset about people calling acoustic instruments limited. Isn't that kind of a fact? I'm not bashing the EP here but the snare sounds sound like a snare being hit with a stick...like they do on every track with a raw acoustic snare sound. Whereas with the use of computers that same sound can be so wildly manipulated it could sound like absolutely anything.

ha that's so funny to read, like if you hit any snare with a stick it will always sound the same, regardless of

what kind of snare drum it is,

velocity,damping,

tuning,

where on the snare drum you hit it,

what the space is like,

type of mic,

micpre, eq, desk, ADC etc..

literally infinite more variation/options at your disposal than every record ever made and every sample ever created, THEN combine the recording with all the same tools that you could use on any other sample, electronic or otherwise..and you call that limiting?

That was a really incorrect/closed minded thing for Sean to say, he's just scared that's all anyhow, ha, coz it's a realm they don't know much about, bless.

yeah i totally get your point, and obviously i was generalising hugely, but do you not kind of see what i mean? By combining it with electronic tools, does that not make the point of it being acoustic in the first place completely obsolete (terrible wording i know, sorry).

775a279d02.png

cheers for finding it, i was dreading having to trawl through the AAA thread trying to find something i might not have even remebered correctly in the first place

What's this about Richie supporting puttin?

he said something like the west and NATO were trying to portray Putin like he's Hitler or something, a very true comment that shouldn't have generated any controversy whatsoever for anyone with an ounce of intelligence.

but if you're sensitive about white people appropriating black culture, you should

stop being British or American

What's this about Richie supporting puttin?

probably from syrobonkers interviews

I believe he went off an a political tangent in the same magazine where he talked about doing mushrooms and this is where he mentioned Putin. He went more in depth in the Syrobonkers interview though

So far I'm most impressed with the great acoustic recordings. It's almost like I'm right there in the room with the robots jamming off midi signals and control voltages... almost :blush:

I prefer it slower too. Very psychedelics-friendly. Richard is in the room grinning with his toys placed all around the room. As for the barn dance, the black sheep on the ep according to many, I think the reverb and vibrations of the instruments turn it into a unique audio experiment more than his best composition. It's emotionally very neutral. It floats in space. Quite a dark, ambient track for me, the ambient part being the sound of it. As someone else pointed out, it sounds like a drunken jam between Richard and his robots hehe.

Fun to hear it faster but I think a lot of the emotion and atmosphere is taken away. Much prefer 33. (the breaks sound great sped up though)

So far I'm most impressed with the great acoustic recordings. It's almost like I'm right there in the room with the robots jamming off midi signals and control voltages... almost :blush:

Exactly! I feel like this is where he evolved the most since druqks, in the acoustic department, in the recording, the engineering, the mixing of sounds. It's 3dimensional for real, it's breathing.

anyone got a link to that track that was posted on reddit when this was first announced, claiming to be from the ep? i didn't listen to it then and it's been taken down now. kinda intrigued to hear it now since people were praising it so much

the one from here: http://www.reddit.com/r/aphextwin/comments/2rwcw9/hello/

Was more disappointed than surprised. Sure, it sounds like acoustic instruments alright, but the kids here putting it on the pedastal seems pretty pathetic and disgusting.

Acoustic instruments, pretty cool, would've been nicer if there were more than mostly percussive instruments.

Music progression, not so much, too simple, if he's trying to do similar music as druqs tracks then that's fine.

I wanna see syro bpm and its complexity in polyrhythm using acoustic instruments. That'd be super awesome.

I was more impressed with Tom's Music for Robots.

Fun to hear it faster but I think a lot of the emotion and atmosphere is taken away. Much prefer 33. (the breaks sound great sped up though)

I agree, but piano un10 is so playful at 45! I found that I was less attentive at 45 and prefer it at 33.

I liked this ep more than i thought i would. shame there aren't more longer tracks on there but still always interesting to hear what he is up to

one of the tracks sounds like it could really go into some square pusher plucky jazz styles.. like track 3 (i think it is) most of all

talking of albums/trakcs that sound good at 33/45 i always played a few of the buzz caner ones at 45 like generation shit is a good one.

bit late now but happy 2015!

All of Michael Fakesch demon ep's, Cris Delucas aemic eps and half of my Funkstorung vinyl sounds 100x better at 33. Back in the 90's when I'd pick a bunch of random electronic music at the record store, none of it had recommended speeds labeled on the vinyl.

A lot was white label presses(record stores on Miami beach were run by dj's and producers that had a lot of insight on early warp, rephlex, skam, etc. for example before he became Push Button Objects, Edgar just dj'd hiphop & beat music and worked at Y&T records. He pushed good music on anyone that looked half interested.

So years later when they released cd's at the intended speed, It turned out I was listening to a lot of idm slow and had no idea. Still sounds 100x better slow. I think a couple ae records fit this description as well.

Archived