IGNORED

Aphex Twin: Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2 EP

Dpek

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think, but i'm not going to check right now, that he went on about both of those things in more than one interview.

or else i wouldn't have remembered it.

p.s. i hate loosely looped breaks and i loved squarepusher's robot music so fuck you afx gimme your tank

I guess part of the point is that he and Warp have been very specific about communicating that this EP was made exclusively by computer controlled robots. When you listen closely to some of the tracks (and it's not just the loops), that doesn't seem factual. Doing otherwise just kinda cheapens it for me but it's possibly because I just wasn't in on the joke (didn't recall reading what you cited), and maybe this one's not just for him, but for the superfans. That's really my only point here. I like my shit WYSIWYG. There's enough fuckery and lying in this world as it is...given his 9/11 rant he knows that just as well. /preference

Where have they been very specific about any information concerning this EP? All I could find in a quick search was this writeup in the Bleep description. As they say there, we have some information he's mentioned during interviews for Syro, and that's really it. The only other suggestion that this is "exclusively made by computer controlled robots" is the title . . .which is also called pt2 of an EP to which there is no pt1. Cheeky.

The EP was obviously recorded using acoustic instruments, so we know that with our ears. Beyond that, who knows how controlled he was in writing/recording? The EP features a lot of natural (sounding) room reverb and such; perhaps he brought small setups of a few pieces of kit into odd places (churches, parking lots, . . . banks?!??!) and recorded whatever bits of patterns/melodies/etc that he had written at that time. Then he took lots of these variously recorded bits, chopped them up into sampled parts he liked, and the songs came from that? I'm just throwing ideas out, because . . .

I don't think the idea (that I admittedly had as well) that Aphex programmed 20 pieces of kit all in one room at one time and recorded each track in one take is what happened at all. Listening to the heavy layering of recording noise, reverb tones, and of course the sample cuts, I think this is very much a pastiche of recordings from different times. He also makes it obvious in the first minute of the first track that the music coming is not entirely 'acoustic,' what with the reversing synth sounds that he is digitally manipulating and using non-acoustic instrumentation.

Guest kymppinetti

I have my hands on the lp today. Freaking postman had thrust it in the mailbox so it was half exposed. It was all covered in snow.

It'll survive.

the rfirst track is so bassy it makes my turntable feedback. its weird and never happened before. anyone else experiencing this? is this on purpose? or is my turntale setup shit?

Not normal...

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

the rfirst track is so bassy it makes my turntable feedback. its weird and never happened before. anyone else experiencing this? is this on purpose? or is my turntale setup shit?

is your turntable close to your speakers and/or a subwoofer? try isolating it more, should help

Guest progben

Gentlemen, place your bets.

I was in there early with 8.2 and I'm not changing my mind.

DEFIANCE

close, with minimal percent error :P

Out by .1 for Syro and CCAI2 combined.

I'm pretty happy with this. And since Richard likes minor imperfection in his music, my error is aphexian anyway, right?

Anyway, the album:

I love it. I listened to it on vinyl and loved it even more. The acoustics and sound design are incredible - probably his best ever project for this.

It's made me love Syro more too, and it made me revisit drukqs and I still love that.

Ideally would like a couple more of these experimental EPs and then an album with a bit of a techno/haunting melody flavour.

is your turntable close to your speakers and/or a subwoofer? try isolating it more, should help

figured as much. but its still weird. i cranked up syro and never had such problems. thanks, tho!

e songs came from that? I'm just throwing ideas out, because . . .

I don't think the idea (that I admittedly had as well) that Aphex programmed 20 pieces of kit all in one room at one time and recorded each track in one take is what happened at all. Listening to the heavy layering of recording noise, reverb tones, and of course the sample cuts, I think this is very much a pastiche of recordings from different times. He also makes it obvious in the first minute of the first track that the music coming is not entirely 'acoustic,' what with the reversing synth sounds that he is digitally manipulating and using non-acoustic instrumentation.

depends on which track you're talking about though, a great deal of the tracks on here do sound like they were recorded with no multi tracking or editing. Maybe 2-3 of the tracks on here have any obvious edits

The Soundcloud dump takes the spotlight off this EP quite a bit, but going back to this EP after listening to all these tracks really shows the achievement of this EP and how coherent his musical project / career is.

The Soundcloud dump takes the spotlight off this EP quite a bit, but going back to this EP after listening to all these tracks really shows the achievement of this EP and how coherent his musical project / career is.

Yeah. And Warp has been awkwardly silent about the soundcloud dump as well. If I were them I'd start actively linking these events together. Might even boost their sales.

Archived