IGNORED

Types of people who don't deserve to be alive

zlemflolia

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I drink green kombucha to freak people out but it's also the secret to large ejacs according to urban legend

Oh it's alright to drink the stuff.

It's the people that try and push their trendy stuff on others. I've got a guy I used to work with that wouldn't shut up about all of its supposed health benefits etc, and he'd criticize any time I was having a coffee or whatever, about how bad the caffeine in the coffee was and how the coffee was harvested blah blah blah lol

Yeah, it's not hipster or trendy. It's called science. The microbiome in your gut is extremely sensitive, but also responsible for well-being. Not only physical, but mental health as well. If you drink kombucha regularly you're improving the likelihood that your gut microbiome will be healthy, and thus you will be healthier and happier. Unhealthy decisions like eating fast food after a night out of drink decimates the species of bacteria in your gut. The gut is the new frontier for understanding the human body. You really should be paying more attention to what you put into it. It has far reaching implications. Probiotics, healthy fermented foods, and whole foods all positively impact your gut flora.

Not only that but having a wide variety of species in your gut keeps you from getting bad reactions to food; such as the person in the kale & pbr thread that said they couldn't eat kale without feeling like shit. It's because your gut grows accustom to what you put into it, and if you don't have a variety of foods, and also foods help maintain a large variety of species then you gut literally can't process food properly.

“Once on the diet I rapidly lost 1,300 species of bacteria and my gut was dominated by a different group called bacteroidetes. The implication is that the McDonald’s diet killed 1,300 of my gut species,” he said."

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/junk-food-kills-helpful-gut-bacteria-study-finds/

"Although serotonin is well known as a brain neurotransmitter, it is estimated that 90 percent of the body's serotonin is made in the digestive tract. In fact, altered levels of this peripheral serotonin have been linked to diseases such as irritable bowel syndrome, cardiovascular disease, and osteoporosis. New research at Caltech, published in the April 9 issue of the journal Cell, shows that certain bacteria in the gut are important for the production of peripheral serotonin."

See more at: http://www.caltech.edu/news/microbes-help-produce-serotonin-gut-46495#sthash.MVEf5KQF.dpuf

As far as coffee, it's not bad for you unless you drink shitty coffee. Shitty coffee is definitely bad for you. Don't skip on decent quality coffee.

I know all about kombucha thanks though.

Edit: that's exactly the type of stuff the guy at work would tell me (no offence). Can you imagine preaching to every person you see eating a burger the benefits of a kale and spinach salad or something like that? =/

I drink green kombucha to freak people out but it's also the secret to large ejacs according to urban legend

It's the people that try and push their trendy stuff on others. I've got a guy I used to work with that wouldn't shut up about all of its supposed health benefits etc, and he'd criticize any time I was having a coffee or whatever, about how bad the caffeine in the coffee was and how the coffee was harvested blah blah blah lol

Yeah, it's not hipster or trendy. It's called science. The microbiome in your gut is extremely sensitive, but also responsible for well-being. Not only physical, but mental health as well. If you drink kombucha regularly you're improving the likelihood that your gut microbiome will be healthy, and thus you will be healthier and happier.

Do you have any long-term clinical studies you could provide showing the benefits of kombucha?

also, tell me if this is worth dying over, but i found an app that says YES to everyone on tinder - so now i have hundreds of possibles getting 'YES ITS A MATCH' and then i unmatch them really quickly to avoid embarrassment

ok? or am i am i destined for hell

Yeah, it's not hipster or trendy. It's called science. The microbiome in your gut is extremely sensitive, but also responsible for well-being. Not only physical, but mental health as well. If you drink kombucha regularly you're improving the likelihood that your gut microbiome will be healthy, and thus you will be healthier and happier.

Do you have any long-term clinical studies you could provide showing the benefits of kombucha?

The internet is out there for you to research all of this. Recommended starting points: Dr. Rhonda Patrick, FoundMyFitness, ncbi

The gut bacteria is as varied as the planets in the universe so you can look at anything related to gut bacteria and relate that back to food intake and lifestyle choices. If you have a specific issue you're looking to remedy you can find specific strains of bacteria to focus on. Is there a lot of completed research on the effects of kombucha? Not really. Is there currently a ton of new findings on gut bacteria and the its relationship to health as well as studies on the effects of kombucha? Yes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=kombucha

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/28/magazine/can-the-bacteria-in-your-gut-explain-your-mood.html?_r=2

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/08/140825152016.htm

"The recent experimental studies on the consumption of KT suggest that it is suitable for prevention against broad-spectrum metabolic and infective disorders. This makes KT attractive as a fermented functional beverage for health prophylaxis."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24192111

Truthfully, if you want optimum health, increased longevity, etc. you're going to have to do a lot of research on your own, and be your own guinea pig. Even scientific studies do not account for all the possibilities of a certain self-applied therapy. The most important thing to understand is that changing one aspect of your behavior or nutritional intake is not going to solve all your problems. It's multi-faceted and there is no cure all. It's really a process.

The internet is out there for you to research all of this. Recommended starting points: Dr. Rhonda Patrick, FoundMyFitness, ncbi

The gut bacteria is as varied as the planets in the universe so you can look at anything related to gut bacteria and relate that back to food intake and lifestyle choices. If you have a specific issue you're looking to remedy you can find specific strains of bacteria to focus on. Is there a lot of completed research on the effects of kombucha? Not really. Is there currently a ton of new findings on gut bacteria and the its relationship to health as well as studies on the effects of kombucha? Yes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/28/magazine/can-the-bacteria-in-your-gut-explain-your-mood.html?_r=2

"The recent experimental studies on the consumption of KT suggest that it is suitable for prevention against broad-spectrum metabolic and infective disorders. This makes KT attractive as a fermented functional beverage for health prophylaxis."

Truthfully, if you want optimum health, increased longevity, etc. you're going to have to do a lot of research on your own, and be your own guinea pig. Even scientific studies do not account for all the possibilities of a certain self-applied therapy. The most important thing to understand is that changing one aspect of your behavior or nutritional intake is not going to solve all your problems. It's multi-faceted and there is no cure all. It's really a process.

You link to a search with 65 results - some of which have nothing to do with kombucha, others which have to do with the preparation of kombucha - a nytimes article that doesn't mention the word kombucha, and an interesting article on food allergies that again doesn't mention kombucha (both fascinating articles though, thanks for the links - that nytimes article is especially cool).

Unfortunately that last link is to a paywalled journal article that not even my university library has access to.

The abstract (from which you quoted only one sentence) reads thusly:

Consumption of kombucha fermented tea (KT) has always been associated with different health benefits. Many personal experiences and testimonials of KT drinkers are available throughout the world on the ability of KT to protect against a vast number of metabolic and infectious diseases, but very little scientific evidence is available that validates the beneficial effects of KT. The aim of this review is to give an overview of the recent studies in search of experimental confirmation of the numerous KT health-promoting aspects cited previously. Analysis of the literature data is carried out in correspondence to the recent concepts of health protection's requirements. Attention is given to the active compounds in KT, responsible for the particular effect, and to the mechanisms of their actions. It is shown that KT can efficiently act in health prophylaxis and recovery due to four main properties: detoxification, antioxidation, energizing potencies, and promotion of depressed immunity. The recent experimental studies on the consumption of KT suggest that it is suitable for prevention against broad-spectrum metabolic and infective disorders. This makes KT attractive as a fermented functional beverage for health prophylaxis.

So the answer is, there are no clinical studies done on humans, but there are some experimental studies showing potentially promising results from tests done on rats however (Although those results might be mitigated somewhat by the possibility of acute renal failure in humans: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19460826- of course it's only one case).

So when you say stuff like "Yeah, it's not hipster or trendy. It's called science" and then tell me later that "Even scientific studies do not account for all the possibilities of a certain self-applied therapy" you're not really saying anything.

For the record, I have no horse in this race - I just wanted to point out this is the kind of shit Stephen G was talking about. "Oh yeah X is wonderful, you should get right on it!" There's no evidence, I'm just supposed to have faith. On the other hand, the health benefits (and risks) of coffee are well known.

So Stephen G - next time that dude goes on about how bad coffee is, punch him in the face. With your dick.

So Stephen G - next time that dude goes on about how bad coffee is, punch him in the face. With your dick.

lollll. signature worthy

another type of person that bugs me:

Vegetarians or vegans that take absolutely every opportunity to tell you that they are vegetarian or vegan, or they shame you while you're eating meat.

I have nothing against them choosing their diet but damn don't shove it in my face every single meal. (there was a girl in our group on one of our vacations like that).

Kombucha contains that fungus that makes up the earth's and therefore the universe's cosmic nervous system. If we experience reality as one language, drinking enough kombucha will allow you to become multilingual and communicate with sentient beings in other galaxies and dimensions. Once you become powerful enough, you can terraform planets with your seed.

You link to a search with 65 results - some of which have nothing to do with kombucha, others which have to do with the preparation of kombucha - a nytimes article that doesn't mention the word kombucha, and an interesting article on food allergies that again doesn't mention kombucha (both fascinating articles though, thanks for the links - that nytimes article is especially cool).

Unfortunately that last link is to a paywalled journal article that not even my university library has access to.

The abstract (from which you quoted only one sentence) reads thusly:

Consumption of kombucha fermented tea (KT) has always been associated with different health benefits. Many personal experiences and testimonials of KT drinkers are available throughout the world on the ability of KT to protect against a vast number of metabolic and infectious diseases, but very little scientific evidence is available that validates the beneficial effects of KT. The aim of this review is to give an overview of the recent studies in search of experimental confirmation of the numerous KT health-promoting aspects cited previously. Analysis of the literature data is carried out in correspondence to the recent concepts of health protection's requirements. Attention is given to the active compounds in KT, responsible for the particular effect, and to the mechanisms of their actions. It is shown that KT can efficiently act in health prophylaxis and recovery due to four main properties: detoxification, antioxidation, energizing potencies, and promotion of depressed immunity. The recent experimental studies on the consumption of KT suggest that it is suitable for prevention against broad-spectrum metabolic and infective disorders. This makes KT attractive as a fermented functional beverage for health prophylaxis.

So the answer is, there are no clinical studies done on humans, but there are some experimental studies showing potentially promising results from tests done on rats however (Although those results might be mitigated somewhat by the possibility of acute renal failure in humans: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19460826- of course it's only one case).

So when you say stuff like "Yeah, it's not hipster or trendy. It's called science" and then tell me later that "Even scientific studies do not account for all the possibilities of a certain self-applied therapy" you're not really saying anything.

For the record, I have no horse in this race - I just wanted to point out this is the kind of shit Stephen G was talking about. "Oh yeah X is wonderful, you should get right on it!" There's no evidence, I'm just supposed to have faith. On the other hand, the health benefits (and risks) of coffee are well known.

stop being a spastic. I told you to do the research for yourself.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3864899/

Not only that but having a wide variety of species in your gut keeps you from getting bad reactions to food; such as the person in the kale & pbr thread that said they couldn't eat kale without feeling like shit. It's because your gut grows accustom to what you put into it, and if you don't have a variety of foods, and also foods help maintain a large variety of species then you gut literally can't process food properly.

I was referring to uncooked kale, which is brutal. I can eat cooked kale. Kale-afficionados who push uncooked kale on people are fucking monsters. I eat spinach and arugula like nobody's business, and I'm all about probiotics and fermented foods. I drink kefir almost every day (and kefir > kombucha, which tastes like slug semen). If it were socially acceptable, I would slather myself in kimchi. If I had more money and the oceans weren't so fucked,I would only eat Omega-3 rich seafood for animal protein. I haven't been to McDonald's in a decade. Thanks, though, doc.

You monster. :flower:

I was referring to uncooked kale, which is brutal. I can eat cooked kale. Kale-afficionados who push uncooked kale on people are fucking monsters. I eat spinach and arugula like nobody's business, and I'm all about probiotics and fermented foods. I drink kefir almost every day (and kefir > kombucha, which tastes like slug semen). If it were socially acceptable, I would slather myself in kimchi. If I had more money and the oceans weren't so fucked,I would only eat Omega-3 rich seafood for animal protein. I haven't been to McDonald's in a decade. Thanks, though, doc.

Oh, I see. The only raw kale i eat is part of a frozen fruit mix that I buy, and it's reasonably edible that way. Well, I stand corrected on your particular issue, but I've been encountering a lot of people who have gastrointestinal sensitivities, and I think a lot of them are gut flora problems. it's a common issue if you don't take proactive measures to maintain it.

Oh, I see. The only raw kale i eat is part of a frozen fruit mix that I buy, and it's reasonably edible that way. Well, I stand corrected on your particular issue, but I've been encountering a lot of people who have gastrointestinal sensitivities, and I think a lot of them are gut flora problems. it's a common issue if you don't take proactive measures to maintain it.

heh, it's fine.

Maybe I'm the only one sensitive to uncooked kale, but I have a hunch the stuff that I keep seeing as "baby kale --eat it raw" isn't always as digestible as it's made out to be. But I'm seeing it everywhere, in everything lately.

Also note that uncooked cruciferous vegetables are goiterogens, so at least I can cite that reason for avoiding raw kale, lol. I'm sure you'd have to eat a lot of it fairly frequently to fuck with your thyroid, though.

The only other thing I'm particularly sensitive too seems to be chicory -- which is also insta-runs city. But I'm allergic to ragweed pollen, and it's advisable for me to avoid chicory on those grounds. Too bad, because inulin is a good pre-biotic.

I also have anxiety related digestive issues but if anything that's gotten worse as my diet has improved over the last few years. Getting well into TMI territory here, though.

I think I just need to start drinking heavily again.

This is so off topic, but I just really want some kimchi right now.

everyone deserves to live, and eat kimchi

this cannot be the worst of all possible worlds, because there is kimchi, and sauerkraut, and there is beer

Archived