IGNORED

Anyone else overwhelmed by all of this new music?

YangYing

Haven't been paying attention to the whole SC dump business, so I don't have that problem.

Other than that I don't put much effort into seeking out new music these days either and I try to limit my purchases to 10 albums per year or so. Makes you appreciate the music you actually have a whole lot more.

The whole idea of constantly looking for new music just so you can listen to it once before moving on to the next is silly to me. No point in exploring if you're not going to appreciate what you find.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, that is a great thread. I'm loving listening to that trackermatte stuff. All picked up from that thread and in turn from the alternative soundclouds thread.

I probably do need an intervention

it's great. i've got over five hundred trackermatte songs.

and hearing stuff like this isn't helping

1381455976662.png

For real though, where are all those Trackermatte songs at?

over here on page 2 of the trackermatte completionist thread there is a big block of links to his older free stuff. he might like it if i mentioned that he considers his newer stuff his real stuff, and his older stuff just messing around or something like that, but i love his old shit. i'm still getting to know it all but i can say crossdaddy bonebags self-titled, music flag, and tolerable cruelty are great. the opening post of that thread has a possibly complete list of his releases, if you want to track down the ones that aren't linked on page 2.

Easiest way out of this is to not give a shit about soundcloud dumps.

Looking at this through the wrong end of the telescope my friend. I think the easiest way out of it is not giving a shit about anything else apart from the soundcloud dump.

I do sometimes think that we are saturated with new music, it's the nature of the internet I guess, its a double-edged sword. I know for a fact I spend too much time endlessly digesting new music, when I should be spending more time immersing myself in the stuff I only bought a few weeks ago. Back in the day I think I appreciated music far more than I do now. Sometimes I switch on my laptop and I feel bombarded with all the latest shit I'm supposed to be listening to, too much that its almost has a numbing effect.

Aphex soundcloud is exempt. It's legendary.

with the internet everything feels overwhelming. now literally everyone makes music, not talking only about the The Phox Twain... can't say if "bad" or "good" because now there isn't a filter like in the XX century where only the "really" good ones got a contract and shit. so yeah I also feel kinda weird that, for example, this dude or dudegirl makes really noice music but only has like 10 followers on SC while this shitfuck that makes typical EDM music with FLStudio presets already has offers and shit.

So what you are saying is that you prefer it like it was before where you depended on how moral a record label owner was, rather than now that is YOU that has the power to listen to whatever you want.

Now that we are HERE, coming back to the model being forced feed music by marketing people is dumb AF

SoundClown dupms are only necessary if you're feeling constipated.

tumblr_nu88stf74O1tgm1qqo1_400.gif

Quality over quantity, ya feel me

Let's hope you don't feel that way about your own posts. If your unreleased zingers are even a third as funny as what you're putting out now, then please, by all means...

Yeah, getting hours upon hours of music that wasn't good enough to be released 20 years ago when it was originally written will definitely burn you out.

Solution: listen to better music.

I've gotten to that age where I fall back on old favourites, it's rare that I'm pleasantly surprised these days - thought Sufjan Stevens' Carrie and Lowell has just blown me away. Does you good to take a break from the usual now and then I reckon.

Yeah, getting hours upon hours of music that wasn't good enough to be released 20 years ago when it was originally written will definitely burn you out.

Solution: listen to better music.

Surely that's a matter of opinion. Some of those RDJ tracks are among my favourites of his work. I'm happy I've had the chance to listen to them in order to decide that.

It's up to you if you want to miss out.

i do but I remind myself the following:

1. there's nothing wrong with returning to old standbys and favorites
  2. there's nothing wrong with limiting yourself to a specific artist, scene, or genre (or label, etc)
  3. lot of hyped new stuff is indeed just hyped new stuff - you are likely not missing anything
  4. there's no need to listen to stuff immediately - including the SC dump; before the internet and social media people actually talked about and wrote about music for months a years after the fact
  5. there's a simple joy in limiting yourself to physical media - in my case i follow a lot of DIY cassette labels

i often to remind myself of how i discovered music before streaming, quick mp3 downloads and a barrage of promoted media out there: by browsing record stores, getting lost in albums I checked out on a whim, listening to radio shows or DJ sets, word of mouth

i think a lot of people get wound up in this rat race mentality of listening to ALL new music for the sake of attention and acknowledgement from other strangers online. a great way to avoid that is to not give a shit. i fall into that trap myself, wanting to discuss new stuff on watmm or twitter, but i also sometimes spend days and weeks just listening to music in my car or on trips "off the grid" or by simply hanging out at home offline

i think a lot of people get wound up in this rat race mentality of listening to ALL new music for the sake of attention and acknowledgement from other strangers online. a great way to avoid that is to not give a shit. i fall into that trap myself, wanting to discuss new stuff on watmm or twitter, but i also sometimes spend days and weeks just listening to music in my car or on trips "off the grid" or by simply hanging out at home offline

Good way to be.

Honestly I haven't delved into much music from this year - pretty much only the latest stuff by Kendrick Lamar, Squarepusher, and MBM. But there's still so much out there to fall back on, regardless how old it is.

All true. Definitely peer group pressure to appreciate stuff the instant it's released - usually I'm never in the right state of mind to appreciate it then. I'm usually three years behind everyone else at appreciating specific albums. I think people probably make out they love certain music because others in their peer groups do too, to fit in or something. The best way is to let destiny take it's course and let the music surprise you, it's always been that way for me anyway.

Better to have an abundance of the stuff, you end up having to focus your time and money on the best of the best, instead of wasting them on fleeting hypes you'll only listen to twice and will have forgotten about in a year.

All true. Definitely peer group pressure to appreciate stuff the instant it's released - usually I'm never in the right state of mind to appreciate it then. I'm usually three years behind everyone else at appreciating specific albums. I think people probably make out they love certain music because others in their peer groups do too, to fit in or something. The best way is to let destiny take it's course and let the music surprise you, it's always been that way for me anyway.

Great post mate. I feel the same but also find it interesting to see others views of tracks, albums etc. It doesn't change my view though.

i've ignored scloud dumps and continue listening to music via A) getting to & from places, B) hill walking (just watch the mozzy cunts) &/or C) cooking dinner at evenings

try n be more selective, cos its easy to skip on when u've 500 unheard things in a playlist and thats not really absorbing fuck all either is it

this is the best advice all thread:

In a way, yes, feeling this way with books and computer games also. But at the same time, it's nice because I know there'll always be something to listen to. The trick is to remember we have--god willing--plenty of time to listen to most of it. Although I was more excited about the µ-ziq dump than the Aphex one, and listened to most of that immediately... :mu-ziq:

You don't have to listen to it all now or immediately, just take your time and listen to what you want today. I mean, I'm still working my way through that 200 track Gasman release, and enjoying it.

So much good stuff. Best to filter out the crud and listen to the best of the best, otherwise we'll never get through it lol. Trick is moderation: don't eat the whole bag of sweets in one sitting.

Great post mate. I feel the same but also find it interesting to see others views of tracks, albums etc. It doesn't change my view though.

Same hear really. I try and remember the good reviews then revisit the music to see if it'll click.

For the Aphex haters, that 101 rainbows version with drums is one of his best early tracks hands down. It's on the groovin playlist towards the bottom.

For the Aphex haters, that 101 rainbows version with drums is one of his best early tracks hands down. It's on the groovin playlist towards the bottom.

There are A LOT of gems in the 250 tracks he has posted thus far.

A LOT.

tumblr_nqx854dHGV1tq9q5vo1_500.jpg

and being awash in Aphex acid is a glorious thing.

Archived