IGNORED

The rise of the 'Alt-Right' culture - thoughts?

awepittance

Meh. I work in a STEM field and there are women literally all over the place and even in very high positions. Because they work hard. Nobody is preventing them from doing anything because it's 2015...

Pretty much. In every job I've worked women are in leadership roles. It's just a false stereotype. People taking their personal experiences and applying it to humanity as a whole.

Lol you don't see the irony in stating the bolded, and backing that up with your personal experience (italicized) and applying it to humanity as a whole?

less true that women are in leadership roles everywhere in the west.

The data doesn't support this though.

I looked at the data you presented and it said that.

38.6% of management being female is alright I suppose, but look at the huge disparity when it comes to professions like engineering, science, lawyers, etc.

Chief executives 26%........

Gender wage gap is 26% in Canada too btw.

unfortunately irony has been completely tossed out the window itt steve

it's a bunch of men on a male dominated electronic music forum standing around jerking their puds talking about how women should stfu and then everything is fine. because surely they must know what they're talking about.

lolol

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's a bunch of men on a male dominated electronic music forum standing around jerking their puds talking about how women should stfu and then everything is fine. because surely they must know what they're talking about.

women != radical feminists

Meh. I work in a STEM field and there are women literally all over the place and even in very high positions. Because they work hard. Nobody is preventing them from doing anything because it's 2015...

Pretty much. In every job I've worked women are in leadership roles. It's just a false stereotype. People taking their personal experiences and applying it to humanity as a whole.

Lol you don't see the irony in stating the bolded, and backing that up with your personal experience (italicized) and applying it to humanity as a whole?

It's weird to me that people quickly go into swiftly generalizing the state of things. I merely stated that there are women in leadership roles everywhere in the west, and that is a FACT.

The patriarchy must be keeping women from loving weird electronic music equally to men and the male members here are assuredly oppressing the females. (sarcasm)

This is just one of those debates where you look more savvy and in touch when you're wrong and I don't blame any of you for bringing to the boards. If the topic of female oppression was actually brought up in a social situation, I would spare myself the trouble and be all feminist lite because it's a much better look than spouting off a bunch of statistics that while true, aren't very sexy. It's a big dynamic in this discussion in general. And you all know it.

Big cum

you know, this reminded me, I recently tasted my own cum out of a girl's mouth during a spontaneous post-coital kiss. I recommend it.

for one thing, it ensures she isn't able to transfer the fluid to her babymaker and impregnate herself, thereby entrapping you. in fact you may retrieve all of your fluid from her orally, for maximum caution.

men and the male members here are assuredly oppressing the females. (sarcasm)

I've not stated that it's men oppressing females (I don't think anyone would argue it's just men everywhere oppressing women?). I don't even think I've used the word oppression (maybe I have).

I'm just saying that for a variety of complex social/cultural/etc factors, women are not equally advantaged...

Women do a fair bit of oppressing each other tbh.

The fascist left is extremely entertaining but also scary.

confirmed: women are completely equal in the workplace. thanks guys!

Are you saying this is an isolated incident, and that you would expect a male dominated workplace where woman are denied opportunities left and right? Do any of you work? Real life isn't so hyperbolic.

Pro-NRA, anti-jizz speech from 1974 2293

[youtubehd]YOROvO2fxTc[/youtubehd]

Now I'm just trolling this thread. I should probably self-exile.

Whoa. What is that from?

you've never seen zardoz?

zardoz-sean-connery.jpg

you've shown exaclty zero examples, and you really couldn't,

I've shown multiple examples, one that went into great detail, which you completely ignored.

because as i said showing a clean effect of some biological determinant requires completely controlled social enviornemnt, which is pretty much impossible to achieve.

no it's doesn't, the more controlled the better of course, and no it's not.

eating food is a very much conscious action meant to make you feel ok, keep functioning, not suffer, not die and so on. but in some contexts people decide not to do it because, ie hunger strikes, religious ceremonies, some ideas of cleansing and so on. the fact that most people choose to stay alive and full of energy doesn't mean that it's hunger that determines their behaviour, their choice to stay alive and full of energy does.

...and their hunger. again, I'll have to repeat this 'til I'm blue in the face apparently, I have never claimed anything is fully determined by biological factors.

you have some logic issues here, just because it can exist in animals and is determined by whatever mechanisms says nothing about its existence or lack of within humans. we're quite different if you haven't noticed.

no logic issues at all, we're not as different as you think. I asked before if you had mystical explanations for what you believe are the differences, one of the many things I've asked which you've ignored.

it's pretty damn easy to take two identical twins, put them in different social environments and watch how different they grow to be, so i dunno wtf "critical theorists" you are talking about, this is basic scientific method.

that was a reference to certain kinds of feminists and other identity politics people in sociology circles. people who do not make use of the scientific method. this is not all sociology, and there has been a trend towards greater empiricism in recent years (or at least objective criticism of other empirical research).

but it's pretty much impossible to do the vice versa as i said and twin studies have exactly the same issue i've been talking about, they control for a very small array of social factors (of course they think it's enough because they're clueless about anthropology and sociology), do their hereditary bullshit calculations and think they've arrived at some clean genetic factors that determine whatever, this shit gets fed to the press and and people like you end up consuming it. such studies have been criticized to death. this is a good paper that tears down another frequently used method evo-psych hacks use, the adoption studies, but the logic behind the critique is very similar to the critique of twin studies. http://rpadgett.butler.edu/ps320/coursedocs/Richardson-Norgate.pdf

that criticism is not great, mostly because it focuses on a simplistic gene based explanation in the original research it's criticising. you can establish heritability without having to show specifically where it comes from. like I said before, we don't fully understand heritability, single protein coding genes are only part of the story (that paper is aware of this, but misses the point). this is obvious when you look at height, which is well known to be about 80% heritable overall, but when they went to find which genes were responsible for this they were mostly stumped (initial research could only account for around 10%). this seemed pretty strange, but after more research they highlighted the fact that individual impacts of genes were too small to detect above the noise (because of smaller sample sizes in the previous research), but when you look at the activity of all the genes that were found together, they add up to the majority of the expected heritability rate. failing to detect some of the genes - it's easy to miss a SNP, non-linear effects with multiple genes, epigenetics, and other gene regulatory processes are probably responsible for the rest. though even if the heritability rate was overstated (due to methodological issues in those studies), it's still clearly non-zero. if it's hard to find the link to heritability in more well accepted non-behavioural examples, it's no surprise it can be difficult in the more complex examples of disease and behaviour. this is a good article explaining some of this: http://www.nature.com/news/2008/081105/full/456018a.html

that paper also seems to disagree with your position on there being no evidence for biological factors in human behaviour btw (it's mostly criticising claims of behaviour heritability rather than dismissing all gene-environment interactions). this is something that's pretty widely accepted in most of the empirical sociology stuff I've looked at, even if they're sceptical about the heritability rates.

no this doesn't make sense, it's really like saying that data emerges from functional capabilities of the hard drive.

that's a false analogy, hard drives are many orders of magnitude less complex than a human brain. we barely understand the exact biochemical functioning of a single neuron there's so much going on, let alone how they manage to work together to create consciousness. I'm not even proposing a purely functional explanation here (though I don't think that's been successfully ruled out), that's not a logical requirement for functional capabilities effecting behaviour.

im repeating myself but let it be the closing point, the only way that you can scientifically show that something is determined by biology is to hold constant the social environment, you can't disagree with that if you accept the scientific method.

I don't think you properly understand the scientific method, the perfect is the enemy of the good.

The idea that biology does not in any way affect behavior is absolutely ridiculous. Babies in the womb exhibit certain behaviors, for instance masturbation. This is a result of a desire for positive physical stimuli. And this is all before socialization of any kind. And this desire to elicit pleasure as a result of positive physical or mental stimuli is universal across all cultures, and even across all sufficiently complex species.

Socialization clearly affects it, but only within the grey areas which surround behaviors which are mandated by our biology.

Big cum

you know, this reminded me, I recently tasted my own cum out of a girl's mouth during a spontaneous post-coital kiss. I recommend it.

for one thing, it ensures she isn't able to transfer the fluid to her babymaker and impregnate herself, thereby entrapping you. in fact you may retrieve all of your fluid from her orally, for maximum caution.

Mark as 'best answer' pls

i cant eat my own jizz maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

high protein density ftw

The protein density isn't that high, but it is exceptionally high in zinc, which for someone like myself who doesn't get a lot of zinc is a valuable factor in a healthy diet.

of course biological differences matter, we are animals, and the blank slate hypothesis is bullshit. that doesn't mean we're mindless automatons, slaves to our genes and the wiring of our brains. all choice is constrained, both by social factors and biological predispositions. that doesn't mean that certain biological factors make things impossible, of course a woman can abandon her biological drives and leave her child in someone else's care, and she should of course have every right to do so. but that doesn't mean it's likely she will want to, or that it will make her any happier or more fulfilled in life if she does. it's also important to not fall prey to the naturalistic fallacy here, just because something has developed naturally (i.e. social gender roles based on sexual dimorphism), doesn't mean it's just, but it doesn't mean the opposite either. and even if we decide we want to overcome our natural tendencies, we can only do so if we fully understand them, and we're very far from that at the moment unfortunately.

there's no evidence for any biological drives for human behaviour, it's archaic nonsense. the so called scientific racists have been trying to find that shit for decades, but all their research turned out to be poop, same with biological determinants for intelligence or whatever. with humans when it comes to behavior it's all about consciousness construction and meaning attachment.

no gender roles developed naturally, they vary a lot across different cultures.

What??

Don't you consider genetics and hormones to be biological processes?

Archived