IGNORED

Moving to the UK: Advice?

apriorion

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Chesney

Nowhere is crazy expensive not scandinavian expensive anyway, not even London. Edinburgh looks lovely and is the easiest Scottish city to live in for an outsider.

Have you thought about a cheaper more central UK city? I can recommend Leeds and Sheffield, both have good music scenes and good friendly vibes and are very welcoming. Not sure about work but that depends what your profession is.

I say, DO IT!

Just read this piece in the Boston Globe, it's a view of Europe that I've never thought of before and seems like a misinterpretation of what it really is like here...

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2015/11/16/paris-and-fall-rome/ErlRjkQMGXhvDarTIxXpdK/story.html

Ugh Niall Ferguson. He wishes he had been born 150 years ago, with the British Empire at the height of its powers. Don't take anything he says too seriously, he's just another neo-con with a hard-on.

• 3 months later...

I'm probably not moving to the UK, but this seemed like the appropriate thread.

Islanders, is there any legal justification for business in England to turn down Scottish pounds??? Shit drives me crazy.

The first time I realized there are NI and Scottish pound notes when I got them from an ATM in Belfast.

I was like

0c9e1363e76ec7c73472c182971a0c3d.jpg

If I were you, i'd stay out of the Euro-zone. The UK is a very very good option, if not only just for their currency's worth. The Dollar and the Euro are crashing faster and faster while the Pound is sort of standing its ground. Though cost of living in tourist areas like London may be a problem.

I've thought about moving to the UK, since there are actually some job placement programs for that will hook up American and Canadian teachers with UK schools. Problem is your education system seems nearly as fucked as ours.

Just the fact that an anglophone country is looking to import foreign anglophone teachers speaks volumes.

If I were you, i'd stay out of the Euro-zone. The UK is a very very good option, if not only just for their currency's worth. The Dollar and the Euro are crashing faster and faster while the Pound is sort of standing its ground. Though cost of living in tourist areas like London may be a problem.

LOL the only time the pound has been lower against the US dollar in the last ten years is directly after the great recession of 2008. It's almost at the lowest point in its history since the US went off the gold standard.

LOL the only time the pound has been lower against the US dollar in the last ten years is directly after the great recession of 2008. It's almost at the lowest point in its history since the US went off the gold standard.

That is why I said sort of standing its ground. All currencies around the world are taking a free fall.

Just at the moment, the pound is quite a bit stronger than the US dollar and definitely stronger than the Canadian dollar. The Euro is falling harder than the pound, that is why I mentioned that.

The US dollar has been getting stronger against major currencies for the last tear and a half. If brexit happens, expect the pound to plummet further.

Anyways the FX rate is not a real reason to consider when thinking about moving to a different country.

Archived