IGNORED

Christmas Morning music

Tricone RC

on a more idm note. for a while in my late teens/early twenties i had tradition of listening to mookid and alberto balsalm every xmas morning. then one year i just forgot

cool story bro

I don't listen to christmas songs at christmas, unless it's on somewhere where the music is out of my control (usually Fairytale of New York a million times), most christmas songs are just awful. I like this one by The Waitresses though:

John Fahey did an album of christmas song actually, might stick that on, but I usually put some relaxed jazz or something on for dinner.

You could go for something even more medieval sounding, not explicitly christmassy, but fits the mood:

this is a really wonderful album.

Renbourne is great.

I bet you'd like the rest of that Joe Byrd Christmas record I posted a track from earlier, but I couldn't find any more on Youtube. Most of it is traditional 15th-17th century liturgical music, and the electronic arrangements are way more raw interesting than similar stuff like Switched On Bach. Really good, underrated synth record.

It's not Christmas specific but if you like stuf like Bert & John and Fahey and the like, check out Linda Cohen's stuff, especially the album "Leda" on Poppy records. It's sparse, low key classically-inspired fingerstyle guitar from the early 70s but with very minimal electronic accompaniment by Craig Anderton (who also produced), roughly contemporaneous with his Mandrake Memorial stuff. I bet you'd like.

I was on the train to my parents' house this morning and this came on shuffle, turns out some Aphex tracks have a kind of Christmassy vibe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFeSGbRmrqc

Also the second half of Low by David Bowie has cold, semi-liturgical vibes going on.

I've made a point to put on Panda Bear - Person Pitch for the last few christmas mornings, and will spin it again this year. It has such a nice laid back pace that really suits the morning with nothing to do vibe.

Archived