IGNORED

Metallica - Hardwired...To Self-Destruct

Twelvetrees

The dryness of the sound fits well with the artwork too.. that stoney/rocky effect and the lack of color.

To be not forget the lars haircut too, which was very special too in a dry way...

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kind of love the goofy childlike title and how low budget the album cover looks lol... makes me feel like theyre a little more on my level with scarce marketing resources and bad illustrator skills rather than untouchable rock gods with massive teams behind them, which is a surreal feeling. thumbs up. might check out the track. 

I have never really listened to Metallica beyond what I came across as a kid on mtv or the radio but this thread got me to check out a making of documentary (not the one where they're all in therapy) and from viewing my respect for the band has definitely heightened, especially for the dynamic between James and Lars and how totally hardworking and sincere they came across. I doubt that I'll end up getting into their music but they appeared to be really committed to working hard to make tracks they think are genuinely cool. And that's about the best any of us could hope for really.

Yeah it was amazing to see how dedicated they were and to watch their ideas develop. They actually came across as having some really intuitive conceptual ways of seeing how they wanted a piece to develop and then they just worked their asses off trying to get it right. It got me pretty pumped up to make music lol

Yeah it was amazing to see how dedicated they were and to watch their ideas develop. They actually came across as having some really intuitive conceptual ways of seeing how they wanted a piece to develop and then they just worked their asses off trying to get it right. It got me pretty pumped up to make music lol

Metallica were the real deal Sir Alcofribas. Then when the Black Album emerged everything changed, it wasn't just the commerical direction of the music it was everything they stood for. They were such a massive band who steadily built their fanbase through sheer brilliant talent and being able to sound just as good on stage as on record (a tough trick sometimes to pull off) and anti commercial stance. It's hard to believe nowadays but at the time between MOP and Justice they were monolithic metal masters. Then they kind of sold their soul.

I think I remember why I loved them so badly because I got into them when One came out from Justice, I bought that album and realised it was pretty difficult sounding but somehow loved it, then I quickly bought Master of Puppets, then a few weeks later got Ride The Lightning. I just think that time was quite intense for music for me, it was just mindblowing. I remember the first time I heard the opening four tracks on Ride The Lightning, the emotional response inside me was off the scale. Hah anyway. Then I remember buying their first album and wasn't expecting much.......how wrong lol. Of course this was the days before you heard an album on the internet before buying it. So I think the reaction was always stronger.

Is there a kind of consensus that the black album was a turning point into a Metallica with less integrity, a selling out so to speak?

As an outsider I can see how that might be. However, it's still impressive to me that from what I can tell they just burst into the mainstream at a rather oblique angle, like coming from their own unique place. When I started hearing them on the radio as a kid there wasn't really "pop metal" or whatever. That was just as grunge was becoming a thing so it's kind of cool that they had their own sound, even if True Fans consider it a compromised one.

They took their sound as far as they could go with Justice. They needed a new direction and they were not going to pick up synths lol. To be fair looking back it makes sense they made that (Black) album, I can't see them going anywhere else.

Is there a kind of consensus that the black album was a turning point into a Metallica with less integrity, a selling out so to speak?

As an outsider I can see how that might be. However, it's still impressive to me that from what I can tell they just burst into the mainstream at a rather oblique angle, like coming from their own unique place. When I started hearing them on the radio as a kid there wasn't really "pop metal" or whatever. That was just as grunge was becoming a thing so it's kind of cool that they had their own sound, even if True Fans consider it a compromised one.

Watch the doc I just linked. It's fan made and the consensus is (at the time) that the black album is sucky and sellout.

I had no idea about this either until I saw it.

Most definitely. But that wasn't the first time old fans felt that.

Specifically with Metallica you mean?

Specifically with Metallica you mean?

Yeah, a lot of fans called them sellouts because of Fade to Black, for instance. A fucking BALLAD?!?!

Up to part 3 of that Metallimania doc. Its funny and a good watch. It's easy to poke fun at metal-heads, I met an old friend at a funereal a few weeks back, he's mid forties and still exactly in the same head space he was 25 years ago! Still just plays Anthrax, Megadeth and Metallica etc etc (all three bands I went to gigs with him back in the day). I hadn't seen him for so long, and I ended up lying through my teeth about all the other music I've discovered in the last quarter of a century. Just because I knew it would kill the vibe. Yep I was still a signed up member of the Metal Militia for that day. Metal fans are very loyal to the cause, I think maybe if you want to be snobby about it you can smirk at them but if you can be cool about it, its also easy to admire them.

oh shit, I've been looking for a drum vst to use on my new album; I may have to look into that one. Black album is one of the most incredible mixes I've heard.

ha, it does sound like a bunch of their riffs recycled, like they literally just cut up a bunch of old songs and learned how to play the result

edit: solo is super uninspired

edit2: the bit at 4:30 is alright though

generally not their finest moment lol

edit3: why are they releasing the album one track at a time.. just fkn put the album out jesus christ

Heheh okay, the riffs at first were so obvious that I was ready to jump on board with the scoff parade, but the half time switch to the chorus is actually pretty cool as are the harmonies (guitar and vox).  Middle section is tight.  Aside from the riff-by-numbers, this song's pretty decent.  I don't know, it's all just Metallica being Metallica like Slayer being Slayer at this point.  They've done all the things they're going to do as far as stylistic exploration goes.  The mix sounds great.

Archived