IGNORED

Arrival (2016)

fumi

I was just going to post this in the watched recently thread but fuck that shit. I saw this earlier and it deserves a thread of its own. What struck me most about it is how sometimes something like a movie or a record will come along and really cheer you up.

Given what happened this week, the general negativity and divisions, hate etc - this film is the perfect antidote for our troubled times. I urge everyone to see it. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Great soundtrack too.

The story it's adapted from has been on my reading list for a while (may have picked up from the reading thread here). I typically like to read stories before I see the adaptations. But hell, the reviews have been golden, so I'll try to see it this weekend. The theme reminds me (and many others apartently) of Stanislaw Lem's Solaris, another story about first contact and the futility of communication. Beautiful story of science, but Arrival seems to be less of a downer which would be nice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Story_of_Your_Life

The story was great. I really liked it and am hyped for this movie. From the trailers tho, it looks like the written alien language is way different from what was explained in the story - along with the ships. but ! i understand they had to flesh stuff out. im seeign it on sunday. really wonder if they do the sort of "looped" weird narrative like with the short. 

The Arrival had some of the sweatiest scenes in Charlie Sheen's prostitute laden career and that is pretty good going. The new one will not be as sweaty apart from the lead actress' groin in that biohazard suit.

^ Got a new thread for us?

no, me was just admiring yr avpic. it is vry satisfying. woo did tht? 

frm th oizo vid? i am ashamed. i'm so far behind wth nw music these days..

still 11 days before this will come to theaters around here.

wanna watch, enjoyed all the Villeneuve things.

but yeah slightly worried this might be cheesecake AF?

so this is good then because the advertising/poster seemed like a knockoff of  Contact (1997 lol)

fu mrx, contact was good,

sorry I meant trying to subconsciously cash in on good movie by imitating it

The Ted Chiang story is available as a pdf for free on the interwebs. Read it because it had some ideas which fascinate me (Sapir-Whorf hypothesis) and sci-fi in general. Glad to see the movie is good. Perhaps I'll see it in the cinema.

I liked it a lot.

The soldiers trying to sabotage really reminded me of contact lol.

I got nervous when the translation was "Offer Weapon" since the translation in the story is "To Observe" (if i remember right?) I was sure it was going to turn into a CGI war and im SO glad it did not.

Also, the Chinese guy at the end ... He said he came to meet her in person, he showed her his phone...wtf was on the phone that he showed her?? She had called him so it wasn't a text. If he was showing her the phone # of the FBI guy she stole the phone from, how would she know that??  - Then - OK she recites his wife's dying words to him... but THEN what???? i dont think it showed what she actually said to him once she grabbed his attention.

I really enjoyed it. I hope more people go and see it, seems like it is kind of lacking enthusiasm from potential audiences. I thought the soundtrack and the sound was great too. Lots of Biosphere vibes on the sounds imo

The way that the plot unveils itself is really unique. The movie delivers a noble message, like other have said reminded me a bit of contact and a little bit of Inception I guess can't help but feel it was a bit of a nod to Sagan. I enjoyed the way the writer developed the language, interesting and thought provoking from a linguistics perspective. I think the whole build up around the movie and the trailers was really cool how you never saw the aliens and their intentions were never revealed prior to seeing the film. Movies give way to much away in the trailers these days.

the linguistics shit was actually really frustrating... why not just draw them a fucking picture?? especially when she is lecturing the army n00bs to keep it "simple" doesn't get more simple than a fucking pictogram / visual representation of the noun. stick figure with alien touching. we are friends! easy fuckin picture to draw and it conveys much more information that "louise." the idea that the simplest communication would be her name which is a completely meaningless assortment of stylized lines that we have been told are "letters" that run in a certain direction that individually contain their own meaning and yet together have a different meaning!!!!!!!! that is a lot to explain!!!!!!! 

Archived