IGNORED

The NAMM 2017 thread

d-a-m-o

Guest bitroast

I dunno man. It says "drum computer" on it, and has dedicated bass drum snare tom labels for the top row.

so does machinedrum, and analog rytm, but in both instances it's just there more as visual reference but ucan dig in and replace anything with anything. 

this vid more or less sells it as a straight up sampler. 

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i just know that if i sell my tempest and op1 and buy a DT and AH, my setup will have just what it needs!

-elektronauts user

(but also half serious thinking on my part)

we should start a digitakt thread and use "ITB" , "IIRC" , and "YMMV" frequently in it.

Still the oldskool 64 steps sequencer, so no instant exai improviser box and they left out the biggest advantage of the octatrack: scenes + fader.

So i need to continue with the implementation of my own sequencer. NAMM sucks this year for me.

Still the oldskool 64 steps sequencer, so no instant exai improviser box 

it's not though.. it has all of the sequencing tricks of the analog boxes, so polymeter/microtiming plus conditional trigs.. those two features alone could make it better than the MD for what I want.. throw in chromatic sampling and I can imagine playing entire live sets from it and nothing else.

Guest Chesney

Still surprised that this is nothing new at all. It's a MD with a few up to date features. Pretty much the MD updates I have always wanted. But, I still feel underwhelmed. It better do the Func + trick.

Guest bitroast

Static drums? no synthesis? that does not sound good for a digi drum machine.

no no. it's more the sampler side of machinedrum/octatrack. 

but simplified down to a more affordable price range. 

tbh I feel like I'm better at getting good sounds out of limited gear (e.g. I'm much more prolific with nanoloop than any other hardware) so this may suit me more than the machinedrum.

I imagine the way the Digitakt is going to be marketed is to have it at the hub of your studio, much like the OT, sending out midi and recording audio to it.

At the moment, I think the only way I'd pick one would be if they have some some unexpected things under the hood software wise. I thinking some advanced midi stuff or more granular synthesis options for sampling.

I wish they did have the MD synthesis engines because I can't imagine porting the code would be that expensive.

You want limited, modey? Try what im donig now... Import 10 samples in your mduw, 10 sec in total and try making whole tracks and albums only with those samples, no md's synth machines, no daw, no sw, no other hw, only mduw with a faw samples. Limited enough? ;)

P.s. Try with only 2 or 3 samples

Still the oldskool 64 steps sequencer, so no instant exai improviser box

it's not though.. it has all of the sequencing tricks of the analog boxes, so polymeter/microtiming plus conditional trigs.. those two features alone could make it better than the MD for what I want.. throw in chromatic sampling and I can imagine playing entire live sets from it and nothing else.

Yes, but still no scenes. Give me those sequening tricks as an update for the OT or a OT MK II, then i might be happy.

You want limited, modey? Try what im donig now... Import 10 samples in your mduw, 10 sec in total and try making whole tracks and albums only with those samples, no md's synth machines, no daw, no sw, no other hw, only mduw with a faw samples. Limited enough? ;)

P.s. Try with only 2 or 3 samples

Ha, sounds cool, might give it a try!

The Digitakt could be useful to me only if it was solid at recording short live bits/loops and exploiting them fully in an easy way. Otherwise, I've got Ableton (which can do what I'm saying, but I've never been able to implement well in my setup).

The Malekko stuff could be really interesting, but that all depends on the sounds.

The Mok software (I forget the synth's name) via the Traktion booth that SonicState did a video on sounds really really interesting as well. May be picking that up, despite my aversion to VST synths.

i think digitakt is most like the sampler side of rytm, with midi added, and then stripped down. it will probably do single cycle type stuff.

when you stop and think it can probably do a lot of the sequencing stuff a pyramid can do, in a similar form factor, with sampling and effects added, for the same price, it's pretty compelling.

Yeah, that's all likely correct sheathe. It does look interesting and the comparison to the Pyramid is apt, but I've just personally got zero use for it to sequence since Ableton can do all of what either the Digitakt or Pyramid can and lots more.

im shocked how little im interested in this new elektron box! i guess i'll have to wait as see the complete specs. maybe it's not that bad... but so far when ever i think about it the only picture that comes in my mind is of boring ceramic tiles. 

Dirty-old-grout-before-painting.jpg

Archived