IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

This list is quite sobering.

78 Environmental Rules on the Way Out Under Trump

Since his first days in office, President Trump has made eliminating federal regulations a priority. His administration, with help from Republicans in Congress, has targeted environmental rules it sees as overly burdensome to the fossil fuel industry, including major Obama-era policies aimed at fighting climate change.

A New York Times analysis, based on research from Harvard Law School, Columbia Law School and other sources, counts nearly 80 environmental rules on the way out under Mr. Trump. Our list represents two types of policy changes: rules that were officially reversed and rollbacks still in progress. Nearly a dozen more rules – summarized at the bottom of this page – were rolled back and then later reinstated, often following legal challenges.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/10/05/climate/trump-environment-rules-reversed.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fclimate&action=click&contentCollection=climate&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

It's astounding how he shits all over literally every piece of legislation beneficial to the general public and the environment. I guess he simply wants to undo everything Obama accomplished out of pure spite. Make it like it never was.

At least the GOP no longer have full control of Congress. And the newly elected House Dems have already proven aggressive in the last couple of days. Of course I remain skeptical of their leadership for the long term, but the priority right now is to prove to Trump that he's no autocrat.

I think the real test of this shutdown might be if it reached til April, and the deadline for filing Federal income tax. With the IRS shut down, I can't see Trump's base supporting that, as many of them are low wage earners or even in poverty.

It's astounding how he shits all over literally every piece of legislation beneficial to the general public and the environment. I guess he simply wants to undo everything Obama accomplished out of pure spite. 

he does seem determined to destroy anything obama did. watch this

Edited by very honest

I think the real test of this shutdown might be if it reached til April, and the deadline for filing Federal income tax. With the IRS shut down, I can't see Trump's base supporting that, as many of them are low wage earners or even in poverty.

trump is so stupid and understands so little about actual government.. a lot of his supporters think he's still playing 4-D chess or whatever... they think he's doing exactly right by them.  this is what they voted for.. "disrupt the system" or whatever the fuck. half of them probably believe w/the gov't shut down we're saving money and can then spend it on the wall. "we can use the shutdown money on other stuff".  

next week when the TSA doesn't get a paycheck and half of them walk off the job and lines in airports go out the terminal to the street.. we'll see some real mayhem and pressure.

and there's this:

Many of the thousands of national park rangers are on furlough because of the shutdown that began Dec. 22, making conditions in parks more dangerous and affecting the capacity to conduct timely rescues.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/three-people-have-died-national-parks-start-government-shutdown-n954991

It's astounding how he shits all over literally every piece of legislation beneficial to the general public and the environment. I guess he simply wants to undo everything Obama accomplished out of pure spite. 

he does seem determined to destroy anything obama did. watch this

about 50 seconds in starts the classic bill burr

trump is so stupid and understands so little about actual government.. a lot of his supporters think he's still playing 4-D chess or whatever... they think he's doing exactly right by them. this is what they voted for.. "disrupt the system" or whatever the fuck. half of them probably believe w/the gov't shut down we're saving money and can then spend it on the wall. "we can use the shutdown money on other stuff".

next week when the TSA doesn't get a paycheck and half of them walk off the job and lines in airports go out the terminal to the street.. we'll see some real mayhem and pressure.

and there's this:

Many of the thousands of national park rangers are on furlough because of the shutdown that began Dec. 22, making conditions in parks more dangerous and affecting the capacity to conduct timely rescues.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/three-people-have-died-national-parks-start-government-shutdown-n954991

Homeland Security is denying this now:

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/01/04/politics/shutdown-tsa-screening/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

trump is so stupid and understands so little about actual government.. a lot of his supporters think he's still playing 4-D chess or whatever... they think he's doing exactly right by them. this is what they voted for.. "disrupt the system" or whatever the fuck. half of them probably believe w/the gov't shut down we're saving money and can then spend it on the wall. "we can use the shutdown money on other stuff".

and there's this:

Homeland Security is denying this now:

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/01/04/politics/shutdown-tsa-screening/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

The mass call outs could inevitably mean air travel is less secure, especially as the shutdown enters its second week with no clear end to the political stalemate in sight.

Haha, TSA is bullshit to begin with. It's just there to make it look more safe, not to actually make things safer. Get rid of the TSA.

Edited by Braintree

LAX TSA confiscated 66 guns in one week during 2016.  

https://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-firearm-la-airport-analysis-20190103-story.html

not saying they aren't often useless and too expensive but sometimes they do something. i agree a lot of it is just to project the illusion of safety. 

Illusion of safety is correct: 

If a passenger is suspected of trying to bring a weapon through an airport checkpoint with the intention of committing a terrorist act, the case is turned over to the U.S. attorney’s office for prosecution. The records analyzed by The Times showed no such instance during the 33-month period.

Illusion of safety is correct: 

If a passenger is suspected of trying to bring a weapon through an airport checkpoint with the intention of committing a terrorist act, the case is turned over to the U.S. attorney’s office for prosecution. The records analyzed by The Times showed no such instance during the 33-month period.

yeah.. it's all kind of nuts. though imagine a bunch of drunk american idiots on planes with guns.  

Needless to say the federal government is rife with both corruption and dysfunction, but at the same time I'll admit that it's preferable to none, i.e. anarchy.

i'm sure this has been pointed out in some capacity but it's ironic that the government shutdown might actually make people realise what the government actually does, and it's not necessarily some evil entity that is designed to harm them.

yeah. that is/was a big deal here. that guy is a super piece of shit.  he hit and run and then returned to the scene. the street he was on is two way/two lane road that is full of pedestrians and one of the more dense/busy shopping/restaurant parts of town. he was speeding and go around cars against traffic and ran her over. she pretty much died instantly. 

it's fucked. the judge would've denied bail but there's some law in oregon about that and so he set maximum bail amount.  

it's a shame for so many reasons. the girl was 15 and had just left her family to cross the street. her family was eating in a restaurant and i think saw her get hit.  turns out she's the type of 15 year old who did all kinds of amazing stuff before she was even a teenager. organized relief for homeless people, did some kind of outreach and raised money and had ten different goals that were totally not self serving. she was "too good for this world" type of thing. it was awful. 

then that piece of shit cuts his ankle bracelet off and flees town with saudi government help. apparently that's typical for saudi nationals in trouble outside of their home country. 

Edited by ignatius

yeah. that is/was a big deal here. that guy is a super piece of shit.  he hit and run and then returned to the scene. the street he was on is two way/two lane road that is full of pedestrians and one of the more dense/busy shopping/restaurant parts of town. he was speeding and go around cars against traffic and ran her over. she pretty much died instantly. 

it's fucked. the judge would've denied bail but there's some law in oregon about that and so he set maximum bail amount.  

it's a shame for so many reasons. the girl was 15 and had just left her family to cross the street. her family was eating in a restaurant and i think saw her get hit.  turns out she's the type of 15 year old who did all kinds of amazing stuff before she was even a teenager. organized relief for homeless people, did some kind of outreach and raised money and had ten different goals that were totally not self serving. she was "too good for this world" type of thing. it was awful. 

then that piece of shit cuts his ankle bracelet off and flees town with saudi government help. apparently that's typical for saudi nationals in trouble outside of their home country. 

christ how this not bigger news outside of Portland

reminds me of a DWI/DUI hit and run years ago in Austin - GOP staffer hit and killed a pedestrian, went to a friends house, then went to work the next day. she got off light. Her dad was a former GOP politician and himself had DUIs on his record. the pedestrian was similarly a very active volunteer locally

not nearly as outrageous as this legally though

christ how this not bigger news outside of Portland

reminds me of a DWI/DUI hit and run years ago in Austin - GOP staffer hit and killed a pedestrian, went to a friends house, then went to work the next day. she got off light. Her dad was a former GOP politician and himself had DUIs on his record. the pedestrian was similarly a very active volunteer locally

not nearly as outrageous as this legally though

DUI stories like this are far too common. it's sad and frustrating and depressing. there's a lot of celebrities who skate and lot's of connected people and kids of connected people who get away with all kinds of shit. 

In miami n the 90s local Fox reporter Rick Sanchez (who's a total tool) got popped for an accident when he was dui leaving a football game and he left the scene.. went home and drank nyquil and came back to the scene and got around the DUI because "oh i drank nyquil that's why i failed the breathalizer". fortunately he didn't kill anyone.. .

but people like right wing fucktard congressman Matt Gates (another total tool) have skated on DUIs.. but also been caught. 

during his height of fame Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Namath got pulled over drunk as shit (he was well known to be a heavy boozer) and he got off by arguing in court that he was unable to give consent for the DUI test because he was too drunk to know what he was consenting too. 

but yeah... i'm glad the story about the shit stain who killed the girl in portland has resurfaced.  he only left just before his court date. it's shady shit. 

Needless to say the federal government is rife with both corruption and dysfunction, but at the same time I'll admit that it's preferable to none, i.e. anarchy.

Anarchy is such a misunderstood term. Anarchy does not mean lawlessness or chaos, it simply means leaderless, non-hierarchical.