IGNORED

Now That Trump's President... (not any more!)

Nebraska

The irony is that the Paris agreement is such a tiny drop in the mound of industrial shite that is still allowed to go on but people are pissed cause this tiny iota of potential is being scrapped my a dunce 4 year old bloated orange choad. 

not sure if you're grouping greenhouse gas in with other forms of pollution. the paris accord is actually a pretty solid roadmap for what needs to happen, in terms of getting greenhouse gas under control

does anyone ever hold up their end of the deal in these agreements? i always assumed they were symbolic. whenever gov money does get spent on things that are supposed to help the environment it's usually in a roundabout and wishy washy way i.e. tax breaks that people don't even think about taking advantage of. it would be great to see some sort of revolution in terms of machines and apps that can clean up and preserve the environment in the near future. stuff like finding ways of turning pollution into energy. cmon scientists what are we paying you for  :diablo:

climate change will mean serious problems for governments in the long run. china doesn't want to deal with droughts and mass migrations. no one wants to fight to keep coastal cities viable. no one wants the world's relative peace destabilized.

it's hard to find a precedent for the paris accord, but things like the hague conference, the geneva convention, the use of the league of nations, and the use of the united nations are comparable.

because it is on an important matter that carries its own impetus, the agreement has staying power. the formal agreement may not be heavy on enforcement, and in that sense kind of symbolic, but it is a symbol of the actual agreement among people, the decisions for which are based on a concerning reality.

Edited by very honest

himalayan glaciers that feed so much of asia.. india.. pakistan... they recede over the mountains. no more water. 

http://www.worldviewofglobalwarming.org/himalaya_4/index.php

The sacred Ganges River, essential to northern Indian life and source of much of Hindu religious practice, flows from a broad region in the Indian and Nepal Himalaya. The major stem of "Ganga" is the Bhagirathi River, which emerges as a large mountain stream from beneath the 28.5 km long Gangotri Glacier in the state of Uttarakhand, India, north of New Delhi. The glacier has been retreating for more than a century, recently at slightly more slowly than before, but still at a rate of 18 meters per year.

meh.. not a national security issue for anyone though.. 

never really understood the right-wing passion with opposing anything to do with accepting climate change or wanting to try to at least be kinder to our planet, (like its some left-wing conspiracy). I can lean (slightly) to the right (on occasions)  but this is one of those things that makes me scratch my head. 

it just seems a bit weird imo.

The right is at a stage that if it upsets the "libtards" then they are for it. It's simply spite.

wpSMFtRl.jpg

Is he though?

Whenever i hear that pruitt speak about climate i get the impression he actually has a bit more nuanced view. He's more a small government kind of guy. Regardless of his beliefs in climate.

Have to admit i'm not invested into pruitt though. So i might be kicking the ball in the wrong direction.

Edited by goDel

never really understood the right-wing passion with opposing anything to do with accepting climate change or wanting to try to at least be kinder to our planet, (like its some left-wing conspiracy). I can lean (slightly) to the right (on occasions)  but this is one of those things that makes me scratch my head. 

The right is at a stage that if it upsets the "libtards" then they are for it. It's simply spite.

wpSMFtRl.jpg

I'm not american, but this thread on twitter made a lot of sense to me. 

Also with regard to climate change, I read a book where one guy analyzed how to fill the world's energy need with renewable stuff. It's free and it's really good, because usually there are no calculations when people are talking about renewable energy. So the take-away for me was that a) it's fucking difficult to replace all energy needs with renewables and b) life will probably be noticeably more uncomfortable, because there's so much stuff that comes from oil or is cheap because coal is cheap.

I kind of assume that at least some global leaders/elites know this, and it kind of turns into the same thing as a psychological drug addiction. Like you're hooked hard on heroin, you *know* it's an unsustainable habit, but you keep doing it and hoping that a miracle happens and you survive, even though the objective reality is that you're barely making ends meet, your health is getting worse and you're having a hard time even maintaining your life. The difference with the drug addiction scenario is that there you usually have sober people around to notice that you're fucked, but with oil/coal/gas, *everyone* in your country is more or less stuck on the same needle, so there's almost no alternative perspective.

And if you've ever had an addiction (computer games, booze, modular synths, etc.), you've probably had this existential dread feeling when you're told that "OK, you can't get your regular hit of dopamine this week". From experience I know stuff like this can make people very mad sometimes. Now imagine that the people in 1st world countries suddenly get told that they're not allowed to drive to work in their personal car or that the price of new clothes has just gone up 100x because plastics can't be used and shipping from China isn't dirt cheap anymore. I'm pretty sure people in general acknowledge this at some reptilian level, and that's why the easier response is to either ignore it and hope some scientist will make a breakthrough or (worse) start "believing" in whichever god says it's okay to kill other people so that you'll survive.

Edited by thawkins

wpSMFtRl.jpg

I'm not american, but this thread on twitter made a lot of sense to me. 

Also with regard to climate change, I read a book where one guy analyzed how to fill the world's energy need with renewable stuff. It's free and it's really good, because usually there are no calculations when people are talking about renewable energy. So the take-away for me was that a) it's fucking difficult to replace all energy needs with renewables and b) life will probably be noticeably more uncomfortable, because there's so much stuff that comes from oil or is cheap because coal is cheap.

I kind of assume that at least some global leaders/elites know this, and it kind of turns into the same thing as a psychological drug addiction. Like you're hooked hard on heroin, you *know* it's an unsustainable habit, but you keep doing it and hoping that a miracle happens and you survive, even though the objective reality is that you're barely making ends meet, your health is getting worse and you're having a hard time even maintaining your life. The difference with the drug addiction scenario is that there you usually have sober people around to notice that you're fucked, but with oil/coal/gas, *everyone* in your country is more or less stuck on the same needle, so there's almost no alternative perspective.

And if you've ever had an addiction (computer games, booze, modular synths, etc.), you've probably had this existential dread feeling when you're told that "OK, you can't get your regular hit of dopamine this week". From experience I know stuff like this can make people very mad sometimes. Now imagine that the people in 1st world countries suddenly get told that they're not allowed to drive to work in their personal car or that the price of new clothes has just gone up 100x because plastics can't be used and shipping from China isn't dirt cheap anymore. I'm pretty sure people in general acknowledge this at some reptilian level, and that's why the easier response is to either ignore it and hope some scientist will make a breakthrough or (worse) start "believing" in whichever god says it's okay to kill other people so that you'll survive.

Oh god yea. U.S (see North America in general) obsession with masculinity in its hyper form is hilarious. This whole Macron Trump handshake bullshit is pathetic. As if whoever has the harder handshake is superior or dominant. Plays right into the trad masculinity narrative. Man crisis fing things up as usual. 

Good read this, I would say that conservatives and the right using masculine identity isn't massively ground breaking though... even good old fashioned 30s/40s fascist propaganda banged on about non-fashies being big girly twats. Overall probably ties in to the whole "I worked hard and earned all this and you don't deserve a cut". If anything, riches built off taking profits and labour off the proles would be considered an added bonus for your macho competitiveness.

But yeah, definitions of masculinity definitely need a rework for the modern age, and the guy is bang-on about the left not learning from this (if anything certain radical lefties outright alienate dudes).

I would say that the kind of guy who invests his masculine identity into big ol trucks and military fetishisation and the like probably isn't massively secure in their identity in the first place tho - could be argued "changing times" don't help this.

^I'm not gonna denigrate anyone male or female for having a shitty weak handshake, but I've gotta admit I look with a little extra caution on anyone who can't properly shake another's hand. Obviously not always applicable, but in general, it makes me wonder about them just a touch more than I maybe would've.