IGNORED

End Times ?

YEK

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a private company is already launching things into space cheaper and more efficiently than any government has managed to do before them, not sure why you think political concerns will get in the way. eventually it's going to start getting very expensive to mine stuff on earth (and very quickly too if we go down a predominantly renewables + batteries route, environmental regs will have an impact as well), asteroid mining will become cheap in comparison. the chaos of the infosphere is what drives technological advancements, it's not a hinderance.

Mining stuff on earth can get very expensive only under condition that politics interfere with acts of environmental preservation, which would be a good thing. However, mining in space is terribly inefficient and astronomically expensive with today's technology and nowhere near any feasible solution except with some futuristic ideas about orbital construction facilities and large space freighters. Energy is still very expensive today (propulsion technology still depends on earth's resources) and if you think SpaceX is nearing that with their relatively light capacity re-usable rockets you're mistaken. Private companies could definitely accelerate the development of the necessary solutions but that is merely a wishful projection for the next 50 years of trial and error and testing. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by chaos of the infosphere other than deliberately misinforming the potential investors and general public with optimistic ideas. Such speculations drive the current monetary system and this could turn out to be a bigger bite they can chew, as history can teach us.

I reckon it could be done quite cheaply, at least for the first stage easy pickings e.g. bolting engines robotically onto an iron asteroid, lugging it into earth orbit and smelting it in-situ by some means. IMO the bigger hurdle would be the legal side. Who exactly owns what, how is that decided and how are disputes settled?

I don't see us having any serious minerals shortages here on Earth for a long time tho. People often quote published resource/reserve figures and then assert that this equates to the total world supply. But there is a shitload still out there, even within very well-established mining camps (and even directly underneath existing mines), and the only reason it isn't included in published resources is that we haven't needed to explore it yet. I'm far, far more worried about stuff like soil and water resources, and how we are wrecking them, than any minerals shortage

We are no match for space. Imagine getting succ'd into a wormhole and being stretched into a string of atoms while your consciousness plunges into cosmic interdimensional mutilation.

jesus christ guys what a mess

srsly man ? humans achieved so much in so little time , i think we are pretty impressive species.

I never said we didn't - in fact, our unbridled lust for progression without consequence is exactly why we are the current plague infesting this world.

"The end of the world" is really just the end of humans innit? This planet will continue on and some other species will rise to the top of the chain. Nature continues to give zero fucks.

Not really all that sad in the broadest of spectrums, but I'm not interested in the propagation of the species anyway.... (DINK FTW)

**becomes a nanobot cloud forever roaming and learning of the universes beauty**

The human race, I think is an aberration - never before in the history of Earth has there been an apex species like ours - even the dinosaurs were subservient to their environment, which coupled with an asteroid colliding with earth, brought about their demise rather quickly and showed how weak they actually were as a species.

If mankind were ever exterminated (by our own hand or by extraterrestial beings), the Earth would begin to reclaim itself from our loosened grasp and slowly cover up clues to our former dominance. Over time, Man's mark on the Earth would be erased, but the lasting damage we've done to it may outlive the Earth's own time before the Sun consumes it during its own death throes as it becomes a red giant and envelops the inner planets of our solar system.

The human race is a plague; a disease so virulent, even itself cannot not wipe it from reality.

lol, do you have kids?

there are literally diseases that create more suffering than most of the human race put together

our problem is that we are not in control of our behavior,we dont choose our genes/parents/enviroment,the odds of you being born a greedy psychopath are as good as being born the most ethical being in the universe

we know for a fact that animals are conscious and can suffer, we should've stopped eating meat the moment we learnt that fact but look at us, a mcdonalds in every corner,and the only thing thats driving this madness is our past as weird chimp-like animal

LOL, yes - I have two children, but if you really think about it, just like me and millions of other humans, they'll expire one day, and make little difference in the unending march of the human race across the Earth. That's ironically the strength of the human race - one person rarely if ever enacts change on the whole. So until we act more as a gestalt, individuals attempts at change will not matter one iota, which correlates to you and I and our children being irrelevant.

Diseases exist in a different subset of the world than we do; only through adaptation (and sometimes human intervention) have they evolved to affect the outer world. The human race is responsible for many viruses evolving far beyond their predetermined genetic limits (bird flu is a good example) due to overuse of antibiotics and perverse over consumption of renewables.

We as individuals are absolutely in control of our behavior - our irresponsible reproduction and unquenchable drive for survival have created the environment we now exist in. But, until humanity as a group decides to impose limits on itself to prevent this rampant overgrowth, Man will continue to rot and corrupt anything it touches.

Consumption of other animals is a natural process - mankind has taken what was a normal and sustainable model and perverted it to the point where we need far more than normal for survival, and that is what has led to animals bred for consumption to suffer needlessly.

ok, so in response to the "earth b doomed" thing if you want to strech it properly.. everything, for all we know, will be doomed eventually. our place in the universe is only significant to ourselves, therefore imo the way forward is to ensure that we as a species live on. we had our chance with climate, we made the wrong moves and are now dependant on it.. is like the species is an adolescent who just got hooked to heroin and can't get off it, what can you do? make sure your kids don't get hooked on it!

we a desease? an aberration? we are human! "destroying" the earth simply means making it unsuitable for us.. it is ourselves we are harming, not the earth and much less this universe!we will have to face the consequences of our actions sooner or later, life on earth will adapt (we are nothing compared to earlier extincion powers!) and eventually die off.. that's how it is!

@thread: no this is just a nessesary step in human evolution

blasts nothing is real

edit: sorry for very messy post i might b very sleep deprived, just wanted to bring up some of these points into the discussion

• 3 months later...

Lookie here, when the world ends, at least y'all know you're gay deep inside and we all gonna die gay and that the earth's debris that'll float throughout space forever will be tinged with gay, forever spreading gay throughout the universe and I couldn't be more at ease when reflecting upon this, I can't believe we're gonna do it - we're officially gonna make the universe gay my homebrews :nyan:

love u man

The world itself will end probably billions of years from now. It's just civilization that is in decline. Impending ice age and depletion of resources will reduce our population quite a bit and we'll go back to being stragglers for a bit while the climate and the environment recover and get back to a more equalized state. If these cycles run roughly a quarter of a million years each, we probably have 6-12,000 or so more cycles of this until the Earth finally calls it quits; if that puts things in perspective for you.

The world itself will end probably billions of years from now. It's just civilization that is in decline. Impending ice age and depletion of resources will reduce our population quite a bit and we'll go back to being stragglers for a bit while the climate and the environment recover and get back to a more equalized state. If these cycles run roughly a quarter of a million years each, we probably have 6-12,000 or so more cycles of this until the Earth finally calls it quits; if that puts things in perspective for you.

It'll be kinda dope for the new society that gets rebuilt cos they'll have our history and artifacts but with a wiser, detached perspective where it's not just the political and sociological baggage that we haven't been able to ditch for centuries.

It'll be kinda dope for the new society that gets rebuilt cos they'll have our history and artifacts but with a wiser, detached perspective where it's not just the political and sociological baggage that we haven't been able to ditch for centuries.

Sometimes late at night I think that maybe this cycle has been happening for longer than we think but each time we have to start from scratch. Think about how much would be lost from the past 20 years simply by unplugging the internet and not being able to get it back online again. Future civs would just be digging up piles and piles of weird plastic shapes and looking at these large gridded husks that we liked to build and scratching their heads. Obviously these are just errant thoughts and chances are at least some bits of info would survive cataclysm and hopefully be useful.

If a dude from Jersey Shore explaining how global warming works to the leader of the one of the most powerful nations in the world isn't a sign of impending apocalypse than I don't know what is

vPRPfzQ.png

there always seems to be some new prophecy of doom (once the old one has passed its sell by date) hanging over our heads

a few years ago there was some meteorite on a definite collision course with Earth, wtf happened to that?

there always seems to be some new prophecy of doom (once the old one has passed its sell by date) hanging over our heads

a few years ago there was some meteorite comet on a definite collision course with Earth, wtf happened to that?

heavensgate.jpg

a few years ago there was some meteorite on a definite collision course with Earth, wtf happened to that?

punk-nueports-people-said-the-world-endi

Archived