IGNORED

End Times ?

YEK

so is it this the beginning of the end of the world? >  north korea threatening the states with h bombs, crazy hurricanes and now a magnitude 8 earthquake off the coast of Mexico......

what do people think? do you care/ ? i'm not ready to leave the earth, but i know some people might like the idea of everyone being wiped out at the same time

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I reckon humanity is on its way out. Either by nuclear apocalypse or by climate related shit, I give us another 100 years tops.

I think given more time we'd figure out how to get our shit together and concentrate on more important issues like the climate, but at the moment you have a president in the states who actively doesn't believe in it, along with other big countries like China straight up not giving a fuck about it. I just think it'll get to the point where it's too late to revert the damage done, if not already.

Society seems to be more afraid than ever, too. I remember being a kid always playing outside, there were always kids everywhere. You'd make friends easily by playing run-outs and meeting other kids who lived on nearby estates. Now I never see kids playing outside, I think parents are too scared to let their kids go outside because of all the child molesters that are hiding literally everywhere ready to snatch them away. That and also kids being glued to their phones and stuff.

I dunno, maybe I'm being cynical but I don't think there's as much of a feeling of community anymore... maybe in smaller towns. I don't know. All I know is people are so fixated on everybodys differences that they lose sight of what brings us together.

Love each other!

I'm not religious loon, or a tree-hugging crackpot, or pessimistic individual 

But there is part of me when I read stories about whales dying with 4 kg of plastic in their stomachs that makes me worry that a huge fucking payload of karma is not very far around the corner

I just don't believe we can be so selfish towards our planet and just merrily get away with it

if, during the next 30 years or so, we can figure out some big stuff like viable nuclear fusion, harvesting minerals/materials from asteroids, safe GM crops etc, then we'll probably be OK and move on to the next stage of our evolution.  there is the possibility we might kill ourselves first though...

The human race is a plague; a disease so virulent, even itself cannot not wipe it from reality.

Our continued ruination of Earth will only push us towards a desperate fight for survival, and advance our corrupt technologies to more efficiently eliminate the lesser of our race in a perverse twist on evolution.

Once we escape the bonds of Earth (fully) and our solar system, we will spread like a plague of locusts across the universe, infecting and spoiling any place in our path.

Only a race more advanced and so overwhelmingly powerful may put an end to us once and for all.

so is it this the beginning of the end of the world? >  north korea threatening the states with h bombs, crazy hurricanes and now a magnitude 8 earthquake off the coast of Mexico......

Earthquakes happen all the time yo

As for hurricanes, there might be some kind of trend there...

I remember being a kid always playing outside, there were always kids everywhere. You'd make friends easily by playing run-outs and meeting other kids who lived on nearby estates. Now I never see kids playing outside, I think parents are too scared to let their kids go outside because of all the child molesters that are hiding literally everywhere ready to snatch them away. That and also kids being glued to their phones and stuff.

I see kids playing outside in my neighborhood all the time. In fact these kids down the street used to annoy the shit out of me because they'd amuse themselves by literally screaming at the top of their lungs. I'm in a city of ~250k and I'm about a mile from downtown - we're at least medium-sized.

no. at every point in history people were convinced the world was ending and it didn't happen. we survived two world wars and several far more serious nuclear standoffs. i find this sort of pessimism silly. we're just in turbulent times. even in the friggin 90s people were convinced it was the end of days lol. 

Yes but...

But there is part of me when I read stories about whales dying with 4 kg of plastic in their stomachs that makes me worry that a huge fucking payload of karma is not very far around the corner

I just don't believe we can be so selfish towards our planet and just merrily get away with it

This right here.

if, during the next 30 years or so, we can figure out some big stuff like viable nuclear fusion, harvesting minerals/materials from asteroids, safe GM crops etc, then we'll probably be OK and move on to the next stage of our evolution.  there is the possibility we might kill ourselves first though...

I think this is unlikely but like beerwolf was saying we need to stop wrecking the environment so hard.

NK (probably) won't do shit and adverse weather in your corner of the world is no reason to panic that the whole world is about to suddenly end. try to see beyond North America, pls.

it's a testament to how self-centred mankind is that we think the whole world hinges on us. the planet will carry on, just we won't as we have thus far, probably. I think total extinction is unlikely, but given the circumstances, it's hard not to feel that there won't be some kind of painful correction of this breakaway growth of the last 100 years. unforeseen technological advances may save us - they won't fix us, though.

srsly man ? humans achieved so much in so little time , i think we are pretty impressive species.

how little time? it took us millennia to collectively reach a point where progress became rapid/sustained, and in that time it has broken away from us at a pace that we are proving incapable of managing. how many real human problems have been solved? not fucking one that hasn't existed since we have. there's nothing special about us other than that - either through accident or by design, whatever you believe - we've grown more complex brains. which most of us do nothing with.

I think parents are too scared to let their kids go outside because of all the child molesters that are hiding literally everywhere ready to snatch them away

heard one the other day about a pedo disguised as a school luring kids. can't be too careful.

we survived two world wars and several far more serious nuclear standoffs.

there was a lot more luck involved than you might realise. there were moments when a nuclear launch was averted simply by one man refusing to push a button or issue a command while conventional wisdom and everyone else around him pushed him to.

Society seems to be more afraid than ever, too. I remember being a kid always playing outside, there were always kids everywhere. You'd make friends easily by playing run-outs and meeting other kids who lived on nearby estates. Now I never see kids playing outside, I think parents are too scared to let their kids go outside because of all the child molesters that are hiding literally everywhere ready to snatch them away. That and also kids being glued to their phones and stuff.

I dunno, maybe I'm being cynical but I don't think there's as much of a feeling of community anymore... maybe in smaller towns. I don't know. All I know is people are so fixated on everybodys differences that they lose sight of what brings us together.

Love each other!

Great post Obel

I feel an infinity with this because as long as I was home for teatime ​I was pretty much allowed to run free with my friends

all this paranoia about kids not being safe playing outside is misguided, as ironically most perverts don't roam the streets nowadays, their on-line and on that phone or tablet that parents kids have in their pockets. Paedophile incidents have never risen since the 70's, it's always remained at fairly constant level (I watched a bbc doco about it), I think maybe its more about what you said about no sense of community, people are too busy to know who their neighbours are anymore and maybe some towns have had a big influx of immigrants so parents are paranoid about all these unknown folk. My sister refuses to let my young niece ever to play outside without being monitored. Though I did see something interesting on bbc the other day about parents who are closing their streets of too traffic in a reaction against having to keep them inside glued to screen.

Bit of a tangent on the coming of the end of times. Back to the apocalypse!!

The human race is a plague; a disease so virulent, even itself cannot not wipe it from reality.

Our continued ruination of Earth will only push us towards a desperate fight for survival, and advance our corrupt technologies to more efficiently eliminate the lesser of our race in a perverse twist on evolution.

Once we escape the bonds of Earth (fully) and our solar system, we will spread like a plague of locusts across the universe, infecting and spoiling any place in our path.

Only a race more advanced and so overwhelmingly powerful may put an end to us once and for all.

You read a lot of Ligotti?

NK (probably) won't do shit and adverse weather in your corner of the world is no reason to panic that the whole world is about to suddenly end. try to see beyond North America, pls.

it's a testament to how self-centred mankind is that we think the whole world hinges on us. the planet will carry on, just we won't as we have thus far, probably. I think total extinction is unlikely, but given the circumstances, it's hard not to feel that there won't be some kind of painful correction of this breakaway growth of the last 100 years. unforeseen technological advances may save us - they won't fix us, though.

srsly man ? humans achieved so much in so little time , i think we are pretty impressive species.

how little time? it took us millennia to collectively reach a point where progress became rapid/sustained, and in that time it has broken away from us at a pace that we are proving incapable of managing. how many real human problems have been solved? not fucking one that hasn't existed since we have. there's nothing special about us other than that - either through accident or by design, whatever you believe - we've grown more complex brains. which most of us do nothing with.

I think parents are too scared to let their kids go outside because of all the child molesters that are hiding literally everywhere ready to snatch them away

heard one the other day about a pedo disguised as a school luring kids. can't be too careful.

you're a small bean regarder, you're an unabummer

Man, I guess I don't have to worry as much cos I don't have kids, but I am not a fan of this attitude. People shuttered up in their houses paranoid, scared shitless with high cortisol levels guiding their interactions decisions. And then you end up actively searching for and reading doom and gloom articles and watching shit like Alex Jones because you're scared, so it just feeds your fear in a vicious cycle.. fuck all that. What's that saying, I'd rather live a day as a lion than 100 years as a sheep? 

Man, I guess I don't have to worry as much cos I don't have kids, but I am not a fan of this attitude. People shuttered up in their houses paranoid, scared shitless with high cortisol levels guiding their interactions decisions. And then you end up actively searching for and reading doom and gloom articles and watching shit like Alex Jones because you're scared, so it just feeds your fear in a vicious cycle.. fuck all that. What's that saying, I'd rather live a day as a lion than 100 years as a sheep? 

hey I'm just passing on what I saw, ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESVOF6DScKQ

Man I always figured if we did manage to break off of Earth we'd be so organized and sensible (since that would be necessary to fund and plan such space exploration) but I never thought of it that way.  :catcry:

no. at every point in history people were convinced the world was ending and it didn't happen. we survived two world wars and several far more serious nuclear standoffs. i find this sort of pessimism silly. we're just in turbulent times. 

This. Lack of perspective is prevalent, ironic considering historical knowledge is easier to find than ever.

That said I do think there is something to be said of social media and dependence on technology warping people mentally - older folks pin this concern on millennials and younger but they are just as culpable themselves. We are at a really, really weird time that I think we'll be seen as a messy transition from one major phase of social interaction to another. Sometimes I feel like I'm going to have to decide to be quasi-luddite versus totally committing to the potential changes ahead.

This election was fucking underpinned by misinformation, memes, and a complete detachment from any standard of morality, legality, or basic common sense. Cynical, desperate, and flat out angry folks voted from Trump but apathetic moderates and complacent liberals sealed the deal. Trump, Brexit, DPRK's rattle-shaking, etc. are scary things but not the most severe in and of themselves. It's the commentary and context surrounding this issues that is concerning.

I have a two year old and my concern isn't him playing outside and getting snatched up, it's him getting sucked into depression and a black hole of meaningless and lack of identity online. It's crazy as a 30+ year old to pine for the good old days of watching tv and playing video games as if those were ideal - it was still a waste of time in a sense but it seems so quaint and healthy compared to seeing elementary and middle school kids, their parents, and their grandparents even, all sucked into their fucking smartphones pissing away any sense of individuality, family connection, community, etc.

Archived