IGNORED

Burial - Pre Dawn / Indoors

brisk

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Volor Flex is probably the best you're going to get if you want more Self-titled/Untrue-era Burial.

It staggers me that he has a bunch of unreleased tracks, yet he's pumping out 12"s with decent but not outstanding tunes on at such a rate these days. C'mon Will, just throw all your good shit, old and new, on a CD/double LP and give it to us.

I'd have to get it and hear it a little more

I've got like 200$ worth of stuff in my bleep checkout cart but no monneey right now!!  :cerious:  :cry: hah

but in general I'd say Burial been on a little bit more of the 'how' than the 'what' sound design wise. Like even just listening through quickly I'm hearing a lot of cool tricky things going on. I mean for one thing the noise and crackle has to be there- like if you're tryna make some 'astrally reflected rave tracks that periodically shapeshift or disappear into the void' you have to include/personify the vvoid, or else the track just sounds like it's getting quieter! It's actually quite a marvel the way these things all fall together.

on a more technical note- the 'crackle' is often just the top layer if the noise, like a clear cellophane wrapper on a cherry cordial. And sometimes ttheres like a crack in the chocolate layer to let the clear sugar syrup out, or you can see tgtge cherry inside! Maybe ththe cherry is bass-tone and the clear is the 200-400ish HZ, just as an example. So yeah you gotta listen 'through' the noise/atmosphere that fills in but THAT creates the opportunity for the beat/track/vocals/incidentals/environment to push up into that range where previously there was 'just noise'. Theres pockets of 'noise' turning into 'part of the track' all over the spectrum it seems! Imho, is a really cool thing to explore, and its explored in lots of cool ways. I think iits rreally fun to listen to! There's also a cool sense of craftsmanship that goes into really making a fun/exciting/interesting thing of all this "coming and going" which jjust so happens to be happening in the middle of a cool rave track. To be fair, dance music like that always uses all the frequency/dynamic range it can to be effective, so the fact that the rave-y part of these tracks retains the energy they do, considering how much sonic real estate is reqd to really characterize/animate those layers of 'time' or 'astral warping' or 'void' is pretty wild, and super fun to get into

There's something compelling about even *prioritizing* these excursions in and out of dimensional-phase. Like it's a strong move to let your facination guide the comp, even to the point that the track is like, inside out, and the beat is moreso a backdrop for dances/movements to and from these other realities/dimensions/senarioz, "previously unimaginable"

Like this!

I like your post frozenwarnings, it's a very different interpretation from my negative/cynical one. I will have to try to hear what you're hearing. I feel like my recent listenings of music have been pretty superficial, which definitely leads to a more cynical read of the music. I wanna go deep. Music should go deep.

• 2 weeks later...

So this is out now

https://nonplusrecords.bandcamp.com/album/nonplus-043-pre-dawn-indoors

it's pretty good! i like the second track more than the first.

That's 5 new burial tracks this year and a couple remixes, fuckin sweet!

edit: oh he drops that skullkid laugh sample twice lol

• 2 months later...

LUVUH BOY ALL NIGHT LONG!!! LUVUH BOY ALL NIGHT LONG!!! LUVUH BOY ALL NIGHT LONG!!! LUVUH BOY ALL NIGHT LONG!!! LUVUH BOY ALL NIGHT LONG!!! LUVUH BOY ALL NIGHT LONG!!! LUVUH BOY ALL NIGHT LONG!!! LUVUH BOY ALL NIGHT LONG!!!

*HUUUNNNNNNNNGGGGHHHHHHHH*

​*HUUUNNNNNNNNGGGGHHHHHHHH*

Archived