IGNORED

Elon Musk's Starman - Is this shitty future real wtf

YO303

32 minutes ago, EdamAnchorman said:

https://source.android.com/docs/automotive/start/what_automotive

https://www.snappautomotive.io/blog/the-state-of-android-automotive-in-2024

Most automakers have announced that they'll give you X number of years free connectivity in Android Automotive, after which you'll need to pay monthly or yearly if you want your vehicle's infotainment system to have any kind of useful functionality.  Yay, capitalism!

Jesus Christ.

Can we rename this thread to Shitty Future?

• Like 1
  • Burger 1

4 hours ago, EdamAnchorman said:

https://source.android.com/docs/automotive/start/what_automotive

https://www.snappautomotive.io/blog/the-state-of-android-automotive-in-2024

Most automakers have announced that they'll give you X number of years free connectivity in Android Automotive, after which you'll need to pay monthly or yearly if you want your vehicle's infotainment system to have any kind of useful functionality.  Yay, capitalism!

awaits the 3D printed open source car. "jail break your car seminar"

me [buys e-cargo bike] 

• Like 1
  • Big Brain 1

18 hours ago, EdamAnchorman said:

I'll join you on your lawn and yell at the youngsters to get off, but either get used to the vehicle / software update crap or buy a crappy Chevy now and prepare to ride it until you die.  What Tesla is doing now is pushing every automaker to basically make their vehicles smartphones on wheels.

Chevy recently announced that they'll have their own Google-developed native OS on the car, and you'll need to pay a monthly subscription / data fee to access maps, nav, apps, etc.  No more tethering your phone and using Android Auto.

I don't mind software updates, but make me bring it in to the dealership to do it. This OTA nonsense is ridiculous.

Subscription fees are being trialed for a lot of things, but I think they'll go away pretty quick once someone dies because of a subscription failing. I note in one article you linked below that Google is being investigated for anti-trust in Germany over Android Auto. Obviously the europeans do better than North America on regulations (not perfect but better) but it will be interesting to see where that leads.

• Like 1

• chenGOD changed the title to Elon Musk's Starman - Is this shitty future real wtf
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, chenGOD said:

I don't mind software updates, but make me bring it in to the dealership to do it. This OTA nonsense is ridiculous.

The Tesla fanbois often say, "bruh my car just gained 10% more range overnight" because there's some OTA update that allows more liberal use of the battery due to data showing that it's safe; however, they go silent when owners of older Teslas lose 10% range overnight and have their fast charging speeds decreased because Tesla wants to "improve longevity" of the backs, meaning there was a fire in an older Model S and they want to limit their liability to other potential claims. 

Edit:  not the same as OTA updates and not Elon Musk but Mercedes won't let you open the hood of your own car that you purchased.

Edited by EdamAnchorman

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, EdamAnchorman said:

The Tesla fanbois often say, "bruh my car just gained 10% more range overnight" because there's some OTA update that allows more liberal use of the battery due to data showing that it's safe; however, they go silent when owners of older Teslas lose 10% range overnight and have their fast charging speeds decreased because Tesla wants to "improve longevity" of the backs, meaning there was a fire in an older Model S and they want to limit their liability to other potential claims. 

Edit:  not the same as OTA updates and not Elon Musk but Mercedes won't let you open the hood of your own car that you purchased.

also, tesla lied for a long time about range and battery life so it's all bullshit. they said the car had more battery left/range left and drivers waited to charge and the car would die somewhere unexpectedly because battery empty of the sauce. 

there's a lawsuit

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-range-exaggeration-lawsuit-breakdown/

and a tesla team to suppress complaints

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/tesla-batteries-range/

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

4zknq9aji80d1.jpeg?width=1024&auto=webp&

Lmao. Fckn shit show.  Had to add this 

edit: this one is less Haterade and more reasonable look at tesla master plan for cities and energy etc. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 2
  • Haha 8

On 5/14/2024 at 12:55 AM, ignatius said:

edit: this one is less Haterade and more reasonable look at tesla master plan for cities and energy etc. 

Thats interesting.

I saw a reddit comment comparing Elon to Gavin Belson from Silicon Valley which sortof chimed:

... To be sure, I think Elon was always a smart guy with great business sense and an incredible risk taker. His talent and efforts have made at least two companies into household names. This is an incredible accomplishment. But, without a doubt, when he got big and famous, he got surrounded by sycophantic yes-men and received a lot of fame and attention on social media not only for his work but also for his lifestyle.

I believe he still possesses those fundamental talents, but his abilities are now crippled and blinded by his ego and his need for attention. That is Gavin Belson to a tee, and to be fair I don't know if I could escape that arc if I were in similar shoes. Everyone thinks they're going to be a good, humble, and powerful leader until they actually become one and get sucked in to the trappings of power. I can only hope he course corrects before the market does it for him.

To add to the sycophantic yes men I'd also add a shitton of drugs like adderall, Ket, LSD and ecstasy as being part of the problem

4 hours ago, zazen said:

Thats interesting.

I saw a reddit comment comparing Elon to Gavin Belson from Silicon Valley which sortof chimed:

To add to the sycophantic yes men I'd also add a shitton of drugs like adderall, Ket, LSD and ecstasy as being part of the problem

elon was always kinda a douche though. even before his notoriety. the story of how he pushed the founders of tesla out of the picture just sucks.  like a lot of people in that world he has a set of skills and does some things and myths are created about him and the myths overshadow the reality of how much he actually sucks. 

there's various podcasts about his life and business trajectory that are interesting to listen to and sometimes quite funny. 

Spoiler

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, auxien said:

BtB 💸🤝 ignatius 💰💰💰🤑🤑💵💵

lols. my pandemic routine was BTB heavy. it was the first podcast i'd listened to that i went back to. then just devoured all of it. so much of it is just so darkly funny thanks to the guests. prior to that i'd only listened to random podcast episodes from different podcasts.. specific interviews etc.. wasn't really into podcasts.. but BTB was right up my alley. so it goes.