IGNORED

AFX visions, interpretations and descriptions general

Dragon

this is a general thread for all the things aphex twin's music makes you think about. i've had a lot of fun re-reading the recently bumped threads, and i think there should be a space for people's interpretations here.

this thread is for:

• thoughts and imagery inspired by afx
  • stories about moving experiences, first time listens, personal moments etc.
  • stories of drug use + realizations, hallucinations
  • your favourite moments and details
  • imaginative stories and scenes that appear to you from afx tracks
  • moods, feelings and textures that arise from afx tracks

you can keep it long or keep it brief, it's up to you. extremely long and overblown posts are welcome, even encouraged. whether it's something you've thought about for years or something casual you literally just thought of, anything goes!

this thread is open to everyone, but i'm especially eager to hear from all of you who are new to watmm, or have recently discovered aphex for the first time - tell us all about it!!

i first started with SAW2 and followed it up with the On EPs. the long beat tracks on those EPs still have little nostalgic vibes for me (since i don't listen to them very often now, apart from On) and i remember getting into 73-yips. i loved that track. clear-cut flashes of metallic light hitting you in the face, steady and sharp.

now this is where it gets interesting, because this means i heard this track BEFORE i heard ICBYD. i fell in love with those electric stabs before discovering, to my amazement, that richard had woven a tapestry of lush lights and oriental chords and dozens more of these crunching sonic soundwaves.

it's a truly special moment, when you find out an artist has produced another track based on something you already really really love.

this might be the afx track i've listened to the most. after 13 years of listening it's the only single track i could identify as my favourite without thinking about it at all. the title is special to me, since it reminds me of the above story.

both tracks are BRIGHT FUCKING GREEN when they're in my head. i have synaesthesia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia) and no doubt i'll be mentioning this frequently ???

edit: link

when i listen to melodies from mars i am transported from my miserable urban life to a kind of pillowed cushioned pastel softfocus realm where i am carried by beings to a clearing in a forest and lain on a cloud, where i am then cleaned, powdered and freshly diapered and tickled with feathers. aphex twin is there too in the feathery pastel diaper land. he wears an electronic diaper that emits ultrasonic hypnotizing pulses (eg ventolin ep) at all times in order to pacify the enraged, confused rebels who refuse to be embraced, tickled powdered and diaped by the Master himself. thanks for posting this important thread. looking forward to all responses.

Yeah, I'ma go fuck that bitch, I'ma go thrash that bitch (Yeah)
Shawty gon' suck this dick (Yeah), shawty gon' suck this dick (Yeah)
That's a pull-up, bitch, don't make me pull up, bitch
I smash that thot then pull out, bitch, might push to Flacko shit
Watch me pull up, take yo' chain, lil' bitch
I'm on Deebo lit, I'm on 'migo lit, I'm on kilo lit
I go psycho, bitch, watch me sock yo' bitch
Watch me thrust that bitch, then I pass that bitch

2 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

I remember (25 years ago or so) listening to Tassels with my eyes closed and seeing spinning, pixelated, black & white pinwheels. 

Laying on a couch in my basement as a teenager nodding off to Tassels- strong visions looking like old film footage of an airplane falling slowly out of the sky, black/white with dark red/yellow moments. An event of terrible panic but viewed from a safe muted distance.

On 7/8/2019 at 8:56 AM, Hodorsbn said:

Laying on a couch in my basement as a teenager nodding off to Tassels- strong visions looking like old film footage of an airplane falling slowly out of the sky, black/white with dark red/yellow moments. An event of terrible panic but viewed from a safe muted distance.

loving this. saw2 always seems to feel different from other 'scary/spooky' ambient music - to me anyway - in that it doesn't want to scare you, rather it lets you feel scared. it plays on the level of etheral, effortless thoughts, allowing the listener to disconnect and accept the music on their own terms. to me, even tracks like Grass and Tree, as disturbing as they are, sound inviting - they make me WANT to feel scared.

it fascinates me that this could be related to saw2's roots in lucid dreaming, a big part of which involves making powerful, emotive experiences happen by free will. in fact, can any other lucid dreamers shed some light on this? have you ever tried to create something nightmarish, just to see how it feels?

just now been listening to this AB3 track (.942937) and thinking of city scapes. you know when it's somehow really bright underneath huge storm clouds, outdoors lit like indoors? this track is like huge waves of lightning clouds going over bleak, industrial skylines. it's early morning, but the roads are like dark tunnels, flickering with bright lights. manic yet exhausting.

this has put me in a Quaristice mood. let's see how that goes.

2 hours ago, hello spiral said:

@Joyrex how do I delete somebody else’s post?

@hello spiral you don't

3 hours ago, Dragon said:

loving this. saw2 always seems to feel different from other 'scary/spooky' ambient music - to me anyway - in that it doesn't want to scare you, rather it lets you feel scared. it plays on the level of etheral, effortless thoughts, allowing the listener to disconnect and accept the music on their own terms. to me, even tracks like Grass and Tree, as disturbing as they are, sound inviting - they make me WANT to feel scared.

it fascinates me that this could be related to saw2's roots in lucid dreaming, a big part of which involves making powerful, emotive experiences happen by free will. in fact, can any other lucid dreamers shed some light on this? have you ever tried to create something nightmarish, just to see how it feels?

Uh, ever see Stakker's videos for SAW2?

Wasn't Dragon the dude who had a major gaylord childish meltdown when Radio Silence was in full effect?

Still as gay as ever, and going strong.

3 hours ago, Joyrex said:

Uh, ever see Stakker's videos for SAW2?

known about it for a while. i'd love to watch an HD version of this - hell, i'd go out and buy it if there was a remaster. i'm kinda tempted to string together the tracks in a higher bitrate, but either way this is a hell of a good film and i think i need to rewatch this properly. i'll get it up on my tv ?

2 hours ago, Dragon said:

known about it for a while. i'd love to watch an HD version of this - hell, i'd go out and buy it if there was a remaster. i'm kinda tempted to string together the tracks in a higher bitrate, but either way this is a hell of a good film and i think i need to rewatch this properly. i'll get it up on my tv ?

I'm not aware of any higher quality versions (mine that was linked above was from a VHS rip) - are there higher quality versions on YouTube (as individual tracks)?

Depending on the source material, it might not be feasible to release this, remastered or otherwise...

17 hours ago, Brian Dance said:

1_aosNGVlR1WplHSo81BHkaA.jpg.3149c1045d504346d00d13479e808d19.jpg

There is that concept floating around on the internet known as "gifs/pics you can hear". Within a millisecond of scrolling onto this pic, the beginning "UUUUAGHHHHHHHH" of Windowlicker just boomed in my skull.

What is this gaylord mess I've been summoned to? Is this that guy who once said he can feel the piano songs playing inside him and his heart strings were like the piano strings ? Wait, it's the guy who started the thread many years ago "Which Aphex songs make you cry the most'' , isn't it? I knew that motherfucker would return with more heartfelt bullshit one day

listening to 8 world waver and those huge fucking beats - the full, physical experience of being in a car crash, but that instant happening for three minutes. claustrophobia, being crushed by metal, bright flashes and flames going on and on...

3 hours ago, Schlitze said:

What is this gaylord mess I've been summoned to? Is this that guy who once said he can feel the piano songs playing inside him and his heart strings were like the piano strings ? Wait, it's the guy who started the thread many years ago "Which Aphex songs make you cry the most'' , isn't it? I knew that motherfucker would return with more heartfelt bullshit one day

not me, but i hope he/she does! Vordhosbn and CIRCLONT14 [shrymoming mix] make me cry the most.

Archived