IGNORED

Which of the Analogue Bubblebath Series is the Best?

Joyrex

Which Analogue Bubblebath is the Best?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Which Entry in the Analogue Bubblebath Series is the Best?

• ABB 1
    • ABB 2
    • ABB 3
    • ABB 3.1
    • ABB 4
    • ABB 5*
    • ABB 6*

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have we decided whether or not "Cuckoo" is an AB5 track? i've always listened to it as an eight track album, and it makes so much more sense that way - the orchestral closing track is just perfect, and why tack something on the end which was already a highlight of a previous release?

i haven't confirmed this, but it looks like there were two different pressings of this album - because i saw digital rips of AB5 on p2p networks that were older than the 2005 copies that shipped with analord. the version with eight tracks was split 4 by 4, whereas the version with Cuckoo had five A-side tracks.

UNLESS people on p2p networks just chose to omit Cuckoo, and this release had nine tracks all along. does anyone know? was AB5 ever pressed a second time? were there multiple versions of it in 1995, or did they press more at the time of the analord reissue? 

1 minute ago, Dragon said:

have we decided whether or not "Cuckoo" is an AB5 track? i've always listened to it as an eight track album, and it makes so much more sense that way - the orchestral closing track is just perfect, and why tack something on the end which was already a highlight of a previous release?

i haven't confirmed this, but it looks like there were two different pressings of this album - because i saw digital rips of AB5 on p2p networks that were older than the 2005 copies that shipped with analord. the version with eight tracks was split 4 by 4, whereas the version with Cuckoo had five A-side tracks.

UNLESS people on p2p networks just chose to omit Cuckoo, and this release had nine tracks all along. does anyone know? was AB5 ever pressed a second time? were there multiple versions of it in 1995, or did they press more at the time of the analord reissue? 

It's not - it was released on ABB 4, and that is it's official release. At the time Richard made it, it was going to be on ABB5, but got inserted onto ABB4 since that came out first.

One of the few times it pays to sleep on ordering a release. I ordered Analord binder day 1, should have waited a bit and might have gotten in on that AB5 goodness.

Wound up getting a mint Rushup Edge when the restock happened a couple of years ago though so I feel alright.

17 hours ago, Joyrex said:

It's not - it was released on ABB 4, and that is it's official release. At the time Richard made it, it was going to be on ABB5, but got inserted onto ABB4 since that came out first.

so AB5 was complete when AB4 was released? that is interesting. the ab6 tracks make a lot more sense in this context - in fact, they do sound better as a sequel to AB4 don't they?

maybe the first ab6 track wasn't uploaded because it was a previous track? i'm putting my money on AB5 track 6 as an opener.

6 hours ago, Dragon said:

so AB5 was complete when AB4 was released? that is interesting. the ab6 tracks make a lot more sense in this context - in fact, they do sound better as a sequel to AB4 don't they?

maybe the first ab6 track wasn't uploaded because it was a previous track? i'm putting my money on AB5 track 6 as an opener.

I don't think it's safe to assume Richard creates these tracks sequentially, or in any semblance of album order - I think he makes tracks, decides "yeah, that sounds like an Analogue Bubblebath-style track" and attributes it to that.

It would be interesting to have an AMA with Richard, on WATMM, where he could be asked such questions...

Yeah an AMA would be amazing... I'll have to start organizing all my questions from the last 20 years and narrow down to my top 5. Lotta work to do.

P.s. is ab6 a collection of SoundCloud dump tracks? And if so, did Richard compile that list??

5 hours ago, Lane Visitor said:

P.s. is ab6 a collection of SoundCloud dump tracks? And if so, did Richard compile that list??

Yep and yep. Missing a couple of track though I believe. Track 1 and stuff I think?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2019 at 11:56 AM, Dragon said:

Cuckoo is a great closer for ABB5. That orchestral track is perfect, but it's too perfect to end the album with. I think of it as the closing scene of the movie where Cuckoo is the end credits rolling - it's good but you don't feel bad about leaving the theatre in the middle of it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/12/2019 at 3:27 PM, Joyrex said:

It would be interesting to have an AMA with Richard, on WATMM, where he could be asked such questions...

This please. I want to know what his favorite autechre track is. Just joking, I'd come up with a better question. 

1 hour ago, Drum Up said:

This please. I want to know what his favorite autechre track is. Just joking, I'd come up with a better question. 

there's a great story in Ae's AAA thread about Drane2 on LP5 being written and produced as a response to Bucephalus Bouncing Ball - and then Richard supposedly coming out with a "revenge track", which of course was followed on Ae's end by Drane3.

32 minutes ago, Dragon said:

there's a great story in Ae's AAA thread about Drane2 on LP5 being written and produced as a response to Bucephalus Bouncing Ball - and then Richard supposedly coming out with a "revenge track", which of course was followed on Ae's end by Drane3.

That would be this:

Archived