IGNORED

Gardening thread

zlemflolia

Just found out we have burdock (Gobo) growing in our yard already. Nice freebie!

Also, did I say this already, mint grows anywhere. So grow some and throw it in your upcoming summer cocktails. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

Just found out we have burdock (Gobo) growing in our yard already. Nice freebie!

Also, did I say this already, mint grows anywhere. So grow some and throw it in your upcoming summer cocktails. 

Mint grows everywhere. I hope you like your summer cocktails because you will be drinking a lot of them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

Mint grows everywhere. I hope you like your summer cocktails because you will be drinking a lot of them.

Love them. You can control mint I’m just saying it’s easy as hell to grow, so even the collective watmm can’t fuck it up.  

Raising 2 Pineapples and 2 Meyer Lemons. Normally I'd be raising a Ginger plant, but the weather's been so shit, I haven't been able to find a way to start it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have a plot at my workplace, which is in a pretty rural area. There are about 25 plots fenced in to keep the damn deer out.

This is the fourth year that the Mrs and I have had the plot. We usually grow all kinds of tomatoes, some zucchini, cucumbers, carrots, beets, green beans, jalapenos, basil, cilantro, and some misc flowers.  It's strange because everybody's squash plants produce like hell for about 3 weeks, then they all just wither and die quickly.  Someone told me that it's due to some bug or disease (can't remember) that gets into the roots.  Tried to grow watermelons one year but the squash bug killed them all when they were about the size of softballs.

My workplace is mostly closed right now, so nobody's supposed to be in the garden, but we planted some garlic and onions during the winter and have some tomato plants that we've been growing indoors that we'll transfer to the plot soon.  Not sure what else we'll plant this year, but I'm not planting yet because as I'm typing this we just had a small snow squall.

21 hours ago, randomsummer said:

I have a plot at my workplace, which is in a pretty rural area. There are about 25 plots fenced in to keep the damn deer out.

This is the fourth year that the Mrs and I have had the plot. We usually grow all kinds of tomatoes, some zucchini, cucumbers, carrots, beets, green beans, jalapenos, basil, cilantro, and some misc flowers.  It's strange because everybody's squash plants produce like hell for about 3 weeks, then they all just wither and die quickly.  Someone told me that it's due to some bug or disease (can't remember) that gets into the roots.  Tried to grow watermelons one year but the squash bug killed them all when they were about the size of softballs.

My workplace is mostly closed right now, so nobody's supposed to be in the garden, but we planted some garlic and onions during the winter and have some tomato plants that we've been growing indoors that we'll transfer to the plot soon.  Not sure what else we'll plant this year, but I'm not planting yet because as I'm typing this we just had a small snow squall.

do you rotate your crops, and till the soil to expose larvae and eggs to the air for birds between squash rotations? squash should be planted far away from any previous diseased squash growth

Edited by Zeffolia

On 5/9/2020 at 5:52 PM, randomsummer said:

Curious if you have any tips for planting carrots. I keep trying to grow them by seed every year but haven't had any luck.

Also I feel you on that snow squall - happening here too. But I live in Canada so I guess that's somewhat not surprising. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Dinobeats
typo

22 hours ago, Zeffolia said:

do you rotate your crops, and till the soil to expose larvae and eggs to the air for birds between squash rotations? squash should be planted far away from any previous diseased squash growth

We do till the soil but we don't really rotate the crops because our individual plot is only about 10 X 20 feet and there's not enough space.  However, last year they gave us all new beds with new soil and everyone's squash plants died again, so it might be some local bugs.  It's an organic garden, so we're not allowed to use any good pesticides.  Thanks for the tips though, I'll look into that.

2 hours ago, Dinobeats said:

Curious if you have any tips for planting carrots. I keep trying to grow them by seed every year but haven't had any luck.

Also I feel you on that snow squall - happening here too. But I live in Canada so I guess that's somewhat not surprising. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hmm, we have always had luck with our carrots from seed, just make sure the soil is loose.  We never got really long fat carrots, maybe due to the soil, but we could get decent sized ones.  The flavor of the ones we've grown has been interesting, quite a bit more "spicy" than regular carrots.

• Like 1

Mine's weird this year - peppers have been stunted, think they got too much rain too many days in a row with little sun to help it drain. Edit: Basil's Parsley has exploded in size like usual. Basil's been meh this year. Tomatoes, parsley, dill and mint are kicking ass. Had to rip out some cabbage that went bad so my kid and I planted two more pepper plants in it's place. 

20200511_142155.jpg

Edited by joshuatxuk
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, joshuatxuk said:

Mine's weird this year - peppers have been stunted, think they got too much rain too many days in a row with little sun to help it drain. 

what kind of peppers? as you know, it's been pretty warm here this spring, so I've noticed plants/veggies have been reacting in kind. our chili peppers grew super quick and yielded already, eggplant getting there, and of course tomato plants shot up with nicely formed green tomatoes hanging. 

mint was already mentioned, but green onions/scallions are almost always guaranteed to grow super quick. garlic is also a very easy veggie to grow.

11 hours ago, zero said:

what kind of peppers? as you know, it's been pretty warm here this spring, so I've noticed plants/veggies have been reacting in kind. our chili peppers grew super quick and yielded already, eggplant getting there, and of course tomato plants shot up with nicely formed green tomatoes hanging. 

mint was already mentioned, but green onions/scallions are almost always guaranteed to grow super quick. garlic is also a very easy veggie to grow.

they were some funny variety, stripped "candy cane" peppers - I just planted some sweet greens. usually I have good fortune with peppers, I've even had some survive a winter and come back hidden in brush at an old rental home

we have green onions in potted plants both inside and outside, always just salvage store bought ones with good roots

I'll have to try garlic 

On 5/11/2020 at 8:32 PM, chenGOD said:

Lovely. We expect pictures of your cocktails with mint.

I know I cheated by not growing the mint from seed but here's my spectacular gay ass cocktail (gay in the most positive sense). Damn 24°C/75°C. Sun everywhere except my balcony, which is good. I crave winter20200518_171045.thumb.jpg.345e55157dc86edd02796e58c19e17e5.jpg

• Like 2

Mint is so versatile.

We’ve got an apple tree with blight & think it may have spread to roses & hostas. Not a lot of rain either for a cuntry usually drowning in it. The fruit is delicious, at least a dozen pies last year, you almost get used to the bounty.

Given it quite a brutal pruning, so no fruit this season’s yield, just hoping we can save it. Good excuse to get out, let the head breathe & draw the insects in for the last of the spring blossom. Chilling with the illing.

A few  questions...

1)  Semi urgent... Has anyone ever transplanted veggie plants? I planted a row of green bean bushes too close to my zucchini patch (which is seriously fuckin boomin right now) and they are starting to get swallowed up a bit. I'm planning to move them over a foot or so tonight, but I've never tried this sort of thing before. Anyone have any success moving/spacing-out small plants / veggies, etc?

2)  Earwigs! I'm not sure if I mentioned this but my whole front and back yard are teeming with this nasty little fuckers. Something is eating a lot of the veggie tops in my garden and I'm assuming it's either these fuckers or ladybugs, but I've found a bunch of them like to hide in my romaine to stay shaded in the daytime. Any tips on how to get rid of this bastards? They are seriously everywhere. I'm also noticing a lot of time, when something sprouts, the next day the sprout is gone. Not sure if that is the earwigs or birds. Any tips would be great!

3) What is the deal with how fucking expensive and ugly garden sheds are in America??? Seriously! I've been researching and y'all in the UK have much better-looking, wooden sheds (that you also refer to as "summer houses") for a literal fraction of the price that you could get in the US. It's complete fucking bullshit.

For example, this bad boy on wayfair.uk is less than £900...

Willesden+7+x+7+Ft.+Shiplap+Summer+House

... and this one is £100 less...

Vermont+Summer+House.jpg

There are countless other UK sheds/etc that are at a comparable price or less. Plus, if you pay much more, you get infinitely more for you price... and the design is always more tasteful.

Meanwhile, in the USA, basically the best thing you can get anywhere close to this price is this...

grays-handy-home-products-wood-sheds-193

Anything else is DRASTICALLY more expensive, not to mention infinitely uglier. I've done a ton of research and it's fucking ridiculous.

Also, finding a corner shed is literally impossible in the US.

This actually makes me angry. I truly believe this is a conspiracy. I'm livid.

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 1

@J3FF3R00 my wife has had success moving small veggie plants/herbs from one spot to another. My guess would be that if they are still newly planted and haven't established an extensive root system then they should be ok to move. One thing I've noticed about planting new shrubs/trees is that if the soil is too wet when you plant them, then they will go through transplant shock that takes a long time to recover from. Don't know if this applies to certain types of veggies that can practically grow in water, but probably a good idea not to move them right after a rain.

For the insects - one of those sprays, but no clue which is best for you. If you've got them then chances are your neighbors do also, so maybe check with a local nursery as they've probably been asked the same thing by others in your area. I've tried one of those sprays that touts itself as being super organic and plant friendly that didn't work at all on the insect I was after. It was for a larger tree though and I ended up using a hose to spray them off whenever I would notice them. They eventually left and the tree recovered fine.

• Thanks 1

oh i've been gardenin a lot these last two month. mainly vegetables. mid of spring here so time to plant summer vegs

2 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

I'm also noticing a lot of time, when something sprouts, the next day the sprout is gone. Not sure if that is the earwigs or birds. Any tips would be great!

looks tike typical slug damage, if you didn't already think of it.  check out at night if you see some on your plants.

. those bastards  are my main (if not only, ) ennemies in my vegetables garden., especially when crops are still small. I can give advice if you need.

Edited by neurone
precisions

The weather is pretty awful in my area so I can't really grow anything substantial. I grew some cherry tomatoes, peppers, and tiny potatoes a number of years ago. I would need to build a greenhouse to get anything decent.

Late to this thread. I live in Sacramento, CA, Zone 9B, been an avid gardener all my life. I grow a wide variety of unusual perennials, succulents, etc. Been getting more into growing vegetables and fruit as well. We're slowly transforming our backyard in a proper garden so all the potted plants can finally go in ground (the bamboo hedge in the back was the first big project on account of privacy from neighbours). Here are a few pics of how it currently looks back there:

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

9AB076BF-86F9-4721-807D-1A2A30E0FED2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Big Brain 1

45 minutes ago, Goiter Sanchez said:

(the bamboo hedge in the back was the first big project on account of privacy from neighbours). Here are a few pics of how it currently looks back there:

did the bamboo spread into the neighbors yard? I wanted to plant some for that exact same reason, but one of the guys at my local nursery was saying that it grows and spreads like crazy. I was thinking to plant some along a fence line in a large pot, but that wouldn't provide enough privacy so I went with some other slower growing privacy shrubs.

3 hours ago, zero said:

did the bamboo spread into the neighbors yard? I wanted to plant some for that exact same reason, but one of the guys at my local nursery was saying that it grows and spreads like crazy. I was thinking to plant some along a fence line in a large pot, but that wouldn't provide enough privacy so I went with some other slower growing privacy shrubs.

The main consideration when you are choosing what type of bamboo to plant is whether you are purchasing a “clumping“ or “running“ species.  Most of the bamboo plants you’ll see at nurseries are of the running variety, usually in the genus Phyllostachys. Golden and Black bamboos fall under this umbrella. Running means the subterranean stems can spread far from the original plants and invade relatively distant areas. This can be controlled by burying a three foot deep hard plastic barrier on the property line to impede its spread.

With this in mind, the bamboo I purchased is a ‘clumping’ variety which is to say that its horizontal spread is much slower, occurring in concentric circles from the original growth point, therein much easier to control. If a clumper interests you species in the genus ‘Bambusa’ are the easiest to find in stores. Mine is called Graceful Weaver’s Bamboo (Bambusa textilis ‘gracilis’) and is considered one  of the most beautiful bamboos available.

Clumpers tend to be less cold hardy compared to runners. Where do you live? Do you know what kind of cold you’ll likely experience in winter?