IGNORED

bands/artists you can't understand how other people could like

LimpyLoo

suggesting that merzbow's music is just 'random noise' is completely ignorant. this isn't even an opinion thing. it is misunderstanding what 'random' and 'noise' mean by pure definition.

and to answer the previous question, stars of the lid are an amazing ambient group that are incredibly relaxing

It's not ignorant at all. I've tried listening to it several times and I might as well just throw some kitchen utensils in a blender. Even a quick google search on the words "noise" and "music" will show you that I'm not mis-interpreting anything. Music needs certain components which Merzbow simply does not have in his "noise".

Or maybe I'm not an advanced enough music listener to "get it", sorry. Great, some people enjoy it, all the power to you guys man I'm glad you guys have something you enjoy. It doesn't mean it makes sense.

it is ignorant you knob. you're literally ignorant of what people might enjoy about merzbow and you think that makes you right in your negative judgments. I can't make this any simpler. and the words I was disputing were 'random' and 'noise' not 'music' I would call merzbow more 'sound art'

to clarify: asserting that his music is 'random noise' is ignorant because by definition it is not random. you choosing to dislike his music is not ignorance, but you're certainly going about it in a dumb way. suggesting that throwing your utinsils in a blender would sound the same is such an offensive thing to say and proves that you know absolutely nothing about sound design or electronic music

also northern exposure wins the award for biggest bucket of nothing for once again misinterpreting the title and purpose of the thread. what kind of mouth breathing fool are you to not understand what it is that others enjoy about mount kimbie? i bet you took one listen to crooks and lovers and decided it would be fun to hate it.

I've decided, you're a fucking idiot. :cisfor:

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

suggesting that merzbow's music is just 'random noise' is completely ignorant. this isn't even an opinion thing. it is misunderstanding what 'random' and 'noise' mean by pure definition.

and to answer the previous question, stars of the lid are an amazing ambient group that are incredibly relaxing

It's not ignorant at all. I've tried listening to it several times and I might as well just throw some kitchen utensils in a blender. Even a quick google search on the words "noise" and "music" will show you that I'm not mis-interpreting anything. Music needs certain components which Merzbow simply does not have in his "noise".

Or maybe I'm not an advanced enough music listener to "get it", sorry. Great, some people enjoy it, all the power to you guys man I'm glad you guys have something you enjoy. It doesn't mean it makes sense.

it is ignorant you knob. you're literally ignorant of what people might enjoy about merzbow and you think that makes you right in your negative judgments. I can't make this any simpler. and the words I was disputing were 'random' and 'noise' not 'music' I would call merzbow more 'sound art'

to clarify: asserting that his music is 'random noise' is ignorant because by definition it is not random. you choosing to dislike his music is not ignorance, but you're certainly going about it in a dumb way. suggesting that throwing your utinsils in a blender would sound the same is such an offensive thing to say and proves that you know absolutely nothing about sound design or electronic music

also northern exposure wins the award for biggest bucket of nothing for once again misinterpreting the title and purpose of the thread. what kind of mouth breathing fool are you to not understand what it is that others enjoy about mount kimbie? i bet you took one listen to crooks and lovers and decided it would be fun to hate it.

EDIT: northern fusion.

I'm not attacking anyone, why are you attacking me? I guess you missed the 2hrs of chatmm earlier lol. You know, the one where regular watmmers that don't attack people like this instantly (are you a eugene dupe or wtf?) discussed "noise" music with me?

Why are you instantly jumping to ad hominem attacks? This is a fucking music discussion website?

I've said several times in this thread that I DONT UNDERSTAND NOISE MUSIC. OBVIOUSLY IM LOOKING FOR AN UNDERSTANDING OF THIS GENRE!

Should I use google translate to put this into a different language or something? =/

EDIT: northern fusion.

I'm not attacking anyone, why are you attacking me? I guess you missed the 2hrs of chatmm earlier lol. You know, the one where regular watmmers that don't attack people like this instantly (are you a eugene dupe or wtf?) discussed "noise" music with me?

Why are you instantly jumping to ad hominem attacks? This is a fucking music discussion website?

lol you're right, I really am an idiot.

That's music to my ears, now we're getting somewhere! :lol:

I already clarified this, no need to ask him. :cisfor:

I suppose you're probably right. I mean, I never asserted his "music" was noise. Preciously because the discussion was that the sounds he makes is NOISE, and not MUSIC. Jesus christ people are dense.

Good thing me, Melissa, Triachus, and Northern Fusion (and a few others) had a regular people discussion about it that didn't involve calling people an ignorant knob. What the actual fuck is that about? Are you 7 years old?

northern fusion your immaturity speaks for itself and proves my point further so please continue to act like a complete Dingus ;)

yes I did miss the chatmm thing (or are you just talking about the prior posts ITT?) dude at least i'm not calling you a fucking idiot like many others did so not sure what you're talking about. I also assume this 'civil' watmm also involves the zany and hilarious antics of northern fusion?

to properly address your point: OK I'm sorry for calling you 'knob' but I mean it more like 'fool' nothing too bad. my main problem with the attitudes in this thread are that people are confusing bands they don't get with objective reasons why bands are bad. imo this is a critical error in thought. your post was an example of that and it pissed me off, like the whole 'get a job' thing the other day. it seems you have come to some sort of conclusion about that now that I may have missed but I was merely addressing how you addressed me. maybe it's my bad making it personal but you should also think about how you put yourself out there.

My immaturity? You bitch and moan because a thread hasn't met your expectations, and since you felt the need to insult me, I'm quite free to do the same to you. Deal with it.

It's not my fault that you're an idiot, e.g.: "OK I'm sorry for calling you 'knob' but I mean it more like 'fool' nothing too bad."

I guess being called a "fucking idiot" is nothing too bad either.

northern fusion your immaturity speaks for itself and proves my point further so please continue to act like a complete Dingus ;)

yes I did miss the chatmm thing (or are you just talking about the prior posts ITT?) dude at least i'm not calling you a fucking idiot like many others did so not sure what you're talking about. I also assume this 'civil' watmm also involves the zany and hilarious antics of northern fusion?

to properly address your point: OK I'm sorry for calling you 'knob' but I mean it more like 'fool' nothing too bad. my main problem with the attitudes in this thread are that people are confusing bands they don't get with objective reasons why bands are bad. imo this is a critical error in thought. your post was an example of that and it pissed me off, like the whole 'get a job' thing the other day. it seems you have come to some sort of conclusion about that now that I may have missed but I was merely addressing how you addressed me. maybe it's my bad making it personal but you should also think about how you put yourself out there.

Thanks for clarifying... It just seems like you went straight to the insults. I've said a number of times that my opinion was that, music has very specific parameters: melodies, rhythmic components or some type of harmony and that I don't hear that in Merzbow.

Triachus and Melissa were able to show me 'some' Merzbow that has a rhythmic component. They also get my stance RE the melodies and rhythmic components, and showed me a person/group called 'yellow swans' as kind of an intellectual compromise... I only use Merzbow as an example because I don't know many others in the "noise" industry.

I think the whole situation here is a matter of mis-interpretation RE how each others personalities really are. Because I'm on WATMM mostly to learn. So when I say something regarding an artist it's really just a challenge in the interest of learning. I don't know.

Sorry...

Is there a reason my posts are being mis-interpreted this way? Mesh, you aren't the first person to think I'm being a cunt.... Am I too direct with my statements or something?

cool, to that I would say that 'texture' is a key element you're missing in that description. I'm not trying to convince anyone to like the music I like but I do think it could broaden your horizons to consider texture when listening to new music in the future and you're not sure what you're missing. and even if it's not for you at least you can dig what others are getting from it a little more. also respect for the creative process is important, I don't feel right slagging the work of others unless they are hacks or fruads doing something most of us could do quite easily (like simple plan or writing lyrics for shitty pop hits) so my response was a little frustrated especially as a music-making-person myself

anyway i'm not hateful towards people that can prove they are still decent and reasonable, so I'm sure we'll be ok.

as for northern fusion, i urge anyone reading this to trapse back a few pages and decide who is the biggest whinger.

If being all macho is what gets you off, feel free. Doesn't mean I need to put up with it, or read it.

I guess it's just one of those things, you're an idiot, and I'm not. :cisfor:

Edit: And completely delusional.

cool, to that I would say that 'texture' is a key element you're missing in that description. I'm not trying to convince anyone to like the music I like but I do think it could broaden your horizons to consider texture when listening to new music in the future and you're not sure what you're missing. and even if it's not for you at least you can dig what others are getting from it a little more. also respect for the creative process is important, I don't feel right slagging the work of others unless they are hacks or fruads doing something most of us could do quite easily (like simple plan or writing lyrics for shitty pop hits) so my response was a little frustrated especially as a music-making-person myself

anyway i'm not hateful towards people that can prove they are still decent and reasonable, so I'm sure we'll be ok.

as for northern fusion, i urge anyone reading this to trapse back a few pages and decide who is the biggest whinger.

That was one of my main contentions with Merzbow though. I threw a sample or two in reason and played around with the distortion using the scream unit, and could produce similar stuff to merzbow. That's why I was so forward about it... I think we're reaching some common ground here, in terms of being able to discuss the noise genre.

stephen just saw your other post: in terms of people misinterpreting your statements I think for me one tip is to make sure you don't assert too many opinions as facts, or rather, because we all do this in some way, make your opinions more obvious (which is why IMO exists I guess ha). this doesn't make you wrong or anything, it just helps maintain a discussion effectively. as we know the tone of voice is not present in text things can get misunderstood, countless times I have seen clearly sarcastic posts be taken quite seriously on this forum, which can result in embarrassing exchanges.

I get your point, for sure. I'm still having a difficult time projecting some sort of humanity via the internet lol!

I will work on this.

I do not get Merzbow. Not to say I never will, but so far no luck.

But people arguing that it is somehow not music are making a ridiculous argument.

Traditionally music tends to have rhythms that conform to standard meters, and pitches that conform to some kind of system of tonality. But music has included very abstract sounds for a long time now. Different tonalities. Music without tonality. More flexible rhythms. Etc. Noise music is a very logical extension of this trend. You might not like it. You might think it goes too far into the abstract and no longer contains anything interesting. But it's obviously still music. To claim it isn't music is basically to declare to the world that you're a grumpy old man who is unable to cope with abstract art being a serious thing. Do yourselves a favour and just admit that it's music. You may find you get treated more like a serious person.

If you want some more borderline examples, check out this. It's a choral piece that is obviously music, but sounds completely abstract and noisy in places.

[youtubehd]qkcwAGaxo2A[/youtubehd]

Also I've always thought this was a noise piece that manages to be as engaging as more traditional kinds of music:

[youtubehd]jksB4WF3epw[/youtubehd]

Ignoring the mainstream stuff (Kenye west and his kin), because that really goes without saying. For me it's the hardcore metal stuff. I don't understand it. It's supposed to be provocative according to my metal minded friends, but really it's boring. Most of the feedback the death-metal types tend to get is that their music is loud, obnoxious, etc.. w/e... to me it's just boring as the sounds used are BORING. Also, the 1000000s of genres in metal music. It all sounds crazy similar. I can tell that something's different, but it's not different enough to me to throw it under a new genre. WHY And why do many metal fans align themselves under a genre banner when it's so similar? I don't know. I DON'T GET IT.

Ignoring the mainstream stuff (Kenye west and his kin), because that really goes without saying. For me it's the hardcore metal stuff. I don't understand it. It's supposed to be provocative according to my metal minded friends, but really it's boring. Most of the feedback the death-metal types tend to get is that their music is loud, obnoxious, etc.. w/e... to me it's just boring as the sounds used are BORING. Also, the 1000000s of genres in metal music. It all sounds crazy similar. I can tell that something's different, but it's not different enough to me to throw it under a new genre. WHY And why do many metal fans align themselves under a genre banner when it's so similar? I don't know. I DON'T GET IT.

I don't personally find metal to be provocative; for me it's all about texture and intensity. As for micro-genres, I understand them but that's because I listen to a lot of metal. The differences are pretty subtle, I must admit, but there are some that I just can't stand, like most of the emo-related stuff. But yeah, I don't think anyone could honestly say Mastodon are indistinguishable from Cannibal Corpse, for example. It's like Autechre vs. Boards of Canada. They both make IDM, but they're pretty fucking different from each other, right?

Hecker

Merzbow

Dominick Fernow (all projects)

James Blake

Arthur Russell

Scott Walker

Neutral Milk Hotel

Xiu Xiu

Bill Callahan

Russell Haswell

etc.

I don't understand how anyone can dislike Scott 4, that's just immature and you need to seriously reevaluate your... um, values.

Seriously though, I can't really get into his weird avant garde shit either. I can respect him as an artist following his own path but it's not music, it's more like a sound installation in an art gallery.

Also:

Coldplay

Elbow

Haim

Kings of Leon

The Killers

Ugh everything is terrible amirite

EPIC FAIL music. EPIC FAIL

man what were you expecting all coming onto the internet wanting people to have non delineating conjunctatioons and readily discernable justifications for their many affirmations

Metal is a genre that you can easily whittle down to a very small percentage of brilliant releases. I spent a long time listening to it, and most of it is pure shit, lol. I think you could apply that to any genre though..

I don't think you're more or less advanced than anyone by not understanding Merzbow, I think it's just your definition of music, which is totally acceptable to have. From my perspective, after doing much thought on the issue I believe that in fact, all sound is music. Because what fundamentally makes the difference between a great song and the sound of you throwing utensils in the blender? It's all just different sound vibrations, right? I don't think there's any other real and legitimate way to classify sounds other than that. Nothing separates Merzbow fundamentally from Aphex Twin or Nickelback other than differences in the vibration of sound. I can listen to birds in the trees or cars going by as music. But again, to each his own- you should have your own definition of music that works for you, just sharing my own.

That being said, I can understand why people like a lot of music, but some bands I just cannot grasp at all.

-REGGAETON. It's music about ass, that sounds like ass.

-Queen. I was always repulsed by their whole broadway-esque glam type of approach.

-Already said this, but Creed.

Alright, could you guys give me recommendations then? I'm talking about the harder stuff, over the top guitars or the lead singer gurgling into the mic, or whatever screamo is. Not stuff like Tool, whom I kind of like.

Archived