IGNORED

bands/artists you can't understand how other people could like

LimpyLoo

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Music does not equal noise.

I could just scream and shout random things and sequence them, that's not artistic. That's retardation.

No offense but I think there is a massive reason that merzbow has 2309450109421098410408 albums and it's not because he's prolific, it's because it's random noise. People can try and justify it any way they want.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, I just seriously don't understand how anyone can consider it anything but random noise. And I don't consider that skillful... Maybe I'm too stupid to understand merzbow, maybe it's a higher level than what I can understand (lol).

NOISE, by definition, is not music. This is not WATNM...

Salutations fellow hater of fun.

Also I don't know what definition of music you are going by but every definition I have heard, the majority of noise fits, funny that.

You're dumb. And your definition of music is sad and narrow.

Yes, I'm dumb. You caught me. I don't know how I work this interwebs with my finger pushers it must be a christmas miracle

Obviously I'm takin' the old piss innit, mate.

But I do think it's prejudice that prevents people from enjoying noise, or Fluxism or Music Concrete or whatever. John Cage said the purest music he's ever heard is the sound of traffic outside his window. I think there is something to that.

Yes, I'm dumb. You caught me. I don't know how I work this interwebs with my finger pushers it must be a christmas miracle

Obviously I'm takin' the old piss innit, mate.

But I do think it's prejudice that prevents people from enjoying noise, or Fluxism or Music Concrete or whatever. John Cage said the purest music he's ever heard is the sound of traffic outside his window. I think there is something to that.

Maybe it will grow on me as I get older, when I run out of music to listen to. :emotawesomepm9:

damn you cage! >>> i need to move to a city asap. all i can hear coming through my window are birds and children laugh

How could you possibly enjoy that?!? That's not music. There are very well-established parameters that determine what is music and what isn't.

Yeah jam bands are about as close as I get to not at all understanding why someone would like something, but I have a best friend whose favorite band is Phish and he also likes Actress and Oneohtrix Point Never and punk music etc, so there's gotta be something I don't see.

I haven't really listened to many jam bands, but a lot of really great musical moments come out of jamming... so in theory if you have a band of really good musicians who specialize in stretching out those great moments, it should be a good thing. But I'm extremely unaware of what's going on in the jam band scene.

It's the ultimate "I get it, but I'm afraid don't like it" genre for me. Their fanbase and taping culture is actually really cool. I love improvised music and "jamming" in general, like in psych, space rock, and metal...I saw Acid Mothers Temple years ago and it was great, but they're way heavier than most jam bands.

It's said jam bands like Phish and Grateful Dead and the String Cheese Incident play solos and "experiment" and all, but anything I hear is all just old hippies playing MOR rock for stoners. I always thought I'd liked those bands when I heard about them as a kid, but I crave far more heavy and experimental sounds than anything they play live or in studio.

this shit

look how many people there are and how many people there are on youtube watching that shit

I mean if it was only 20 people in the world who liked that sort of stuff I'd be like hm okay but 20 million thousand fuck man

this shit

look how many people there are and how many people there are on youtube watching that shit

I mean if it was only 20 people in the world who liked that sort of stuff I'd be like hm okay but 20 million thousand fuck man

I think i get it. It's sort of like in the roman empire when tens of thousands of people gathered in arenas to watch slaves get ripped apart by tigers. It satisfies that same urge to revel in something ghastly with your fellow countrymen.

Pomplamoose

It gives scruffy bearded music dudes everywhere hope that some day they too will be dating a singer girl with quirky eyes and a pixie haircut

And they cover pop songs in visually clever video format or something, i dunno, didn't watch

Hardwell

It gives schlubby shirtless college brahs everywhere hope that some day they too will be sweaty and gyrating in a big cluster of girls in bikinis

And it distills contemporary dance tropes into an easily digestable format or something, i dunno, didn't watch

I can see what people like in most music, tbh. The only one that comes close though is probably Jandek.

jandek is one of the closest calls for sure. very reliant on the context of his history and whatnot.

as for merzbow, listen to it like you would listen to stars of the lid. trust me :)

I caught part of his/their show yesterday without any prior knowledge and it wasn't that bad. In the beginning it was like watching the live version of a Sonic Youth shred video but I got more into it later on. His singing is very hard to take seriously though. The female vocalist in his band was a lot better in that respect.

What is there to know about his history that's so important as context to the music? Genuine question.

It's said jam bands like Phish and Grateful Dead and the String Cheese Incident play solos and "experiment" and all, but anything I hear is all just old hippies playing MOR rock for stoners. I always thought I'd liked those bands when I heard about them as a kid, but I crave far more heavy and experimental sounds than anything they play live or in studio.

Haha yes, whenever I listen to Phish I feel like I'm sitting next to a bunch of high, sweaty hippies who didn't figure out 20 years ago that being really stoned and not having a job does not help save the Earth on a picnic blanket under uncomfortably hot sunlight. Like my friend put it, "I don't listen to anything that you would play frisbee to".

this shit

I think i get it. It's sort of like in the roman empire when tens of thousands of people gathered in arenas to watch slaves get ripped apart by tigers. It satisfies that same urge to revel in something ghastly with your fellow countrymen.

tomorrowland and the "edm" scene is not about the music tho innit?

is 'bout dumb horny teenagers.

Archived