IGNORED

bands/artists you can't understand how other people could like

LimpyLoo

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, could you guys give me recommendations then? I'm talking about the harder stuff, over the top guitars or the lead singer gurgling into the mic, or whatever screamo is. Not stuff like Tool, whom I kind of like.

Off the top of my head, I'd recommend these albums:

Mastodon - Leviathan

Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve

Isis - Oceanic

Strapping Young Lad - Alien

Textures - Silhouettes

None of them are 'screamo' (although they do contain screaming/yelling), but I think it's a pretty diverse selection. The Textures album is a pretty good mix of a bunch of different metal genres.

don't forget the old 'flesh!

also I'll add

Genghis Tron - Board Up The House

if you want something with a more electronic bent. that record is amazing.

I don't get the whole genre of malangwa patanga shitango walangayafacho, and all its artists. It's like, okay: so your tambourines are patanga with the malangwa proper shitango, but just because you walanayafacho in a malangwa manner, it doesn't mean your triangle or upright-bass variation of patanga shitango is galangwa malango jilankwatu fatangu, any more than the elitist scene of junakwa buntakwu would have you think. So okay: sometimes there are subtleties in malangwa where the shitango is definitely at a higher timbre than patanga walangayafacho, but other than that, the reasoning behind jilankwo malanga is patanga shitango jalankwa malangwa valavala mungala handaramangula fala mazala hala, as far as I'm concerned.

Same shit, no innovation-- what's the point?

Anyway, you guys/gals know waddup with malangwa patanga shitango walangayafacho. Preaching to the choir, etc.

I don't get the whole genre of malangwa patanga shitango walangayafacho, and all its artists. It's like, okay: so your tambourines are patanga with the malangwa proper shitango, but just because you walanayafacho in a malangwa manner, it doesn't mean your triangle or upright-bass variation of patanga shitango is galangwa malango jilankwatu fatangu, any more than the elitist scene of junakwa buntakwu would have you think. So okay: sometimes there are subtleties in malangwa where the shitango is definitely at a higher timbre than patanga walangayafacho, but other than that, the reasoning behind jilankwo malanga is patanga shitango jalankwa malangwa valavala mungala handaramangula fala mazala hala, as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, you guys/gals know waddup with malangwa patanga shitango walangayafacho. Preaching to the choir, etc.

oh for sure, totes agree omg

all-your-base-300x190.jpg

i feel like you probably have way too much unfulfilled potential.

I was going to list here a couple of genres, but on closer evaluation I think I "get" why people like them even if I hate them myself. So, whatever.

whatever-10631003.jpg

Please continue with your fighting.

Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif

Animal Collective

I get you with certain releases of theirs (quite a few actually), but dude, what about:

and like

and

and shit like

I think AnCo get far too much love from the wrong kind of people (not to overgeneralize or sound pretentious, but I mean, look back at the media coverage of merriweather and just try not to cringe) - the image given to them by shit blog journalism is hardly the image they seem to be trying to push as a band. It's like the dudes are cursed. But seriously, AnCo are pretty great at making crazy neo-psych shit with fucked up sample warping and surrealist lyrics - sometimes its a fucking awful mess, but sometimes you get some crazy good music imo.

-REGGAETON. It's music about ass, that sounds like ass.

Reggaeton somehow exceeds dancehall in it's sameness. I have a ear for subtle nuances but I cannot decipher different reggaeton songs from each other. Cumbia does this too actually, so much so when I hear cumbia mixes on the radio it's literally someone mixing songs over the same percussion loop.

Ignoring the mainstream stuff (Kenye west and his kin), because that really goes without saying. For me it's the hardcore metal stuff. I don't understand it. It's supposed to be provocative according to my metal minded friends, but really it's boring. Most of the feedback the death-metal types tend to get is that their music is loud, obnoxious, etc.. w/e... to me it's just boring as the sounds used are BORING. Also, the 1000000s of genres in metal music. It all sounds crazy similar. I can tell that something's different, but it's not different enough to me to throw it under a new genre. WHY And why do many metal fans align themselves under a genre banner when it's so similar? I don't know. I DON'T GET IT.

I don't personally find metal to be provocative; for me it's all about texture and intensity. As for micro-genres, I understand them but that's because I listen to a lot of metal. The differences are pretty subtle, I must admit, but there are some that I just can't stand, like most of the emo-related stuff. But yeah, I don't think anyone could honestly say Mastodon are indistinguishable from Cannibal Corpse, for example. It's like Autechre vs. Boards of Canada. They both make IDM, but they're pretty fucking different from each other, right?

Metal is a genre that you can easily whittle down to a very small percentage of brilliant releases. I spent a long time listening to it, and most of it is pure shit, lol. I think you could apply that to any genre though..

Alright, could you guys give me recommendations then? I'm talking about the harder stuff, over the top guitars or the lead singer gurgling into the mic, or whatever screamo is. Not stuff like Tool, whom I kind of like.

I mean, you kind of have to just dive in start figuring out what you like. It's baffling what the differences are to an outsider but once you listen a lot the sub-genres and crossover genres make sense.

Personally I find black metal more diverse than others, as it sometimes bleeds into genres like ambient, post-rock and drone. I like sludge and doom metal a lot and I'm only now beginning to really appreciate older thrash and NWOBHM.

Google some "essential" albums of major metal genres (extreme, death, thrash, sludge, black, doom, etc) and go from there.

Also, most of what you seem to really dislike is Metalcore, post-hardcore since the mid-00s, and all the other stuff most people vaguely deem "screamo."

Bach. Fucking Bach. I just not understand why he's considered as a genius and shit like that. All his fucking music sounds the same.

Perhaps because 99% of it is performed with the same orchestras we've grown bored with? Historical context is a major factor too. That's partly why this was a big deal when it came, besides the sheer novelty of Moog synths and their intricate patching/recording needs back then:

carlos-wendy-switched-on-bach-2001.jpg

MPP was good. So was Centipede HZ... Not a huge fan of their older releases though I can see the appeal!

:shrug:

I think I just have to give them a few more listens

Archived