IGNORED

AAA - Ask Autechre Anything - Sean and Rob on WATMM!

Joyrex

hello ae, thanks for yr time.
I have some brief questions:
what is your favourite cartoon?
do you really dig any drummers in particular?
have you ever sampled rubberbands?
zen/mindfulness/meditation: is there the odd buried reference in yr material?
did you know valis is basically a true story? there are online doco's and the exegesis is a real thing - you can buy a pretty large chunk of it in paperback. It's pretty wild. RAW also got hit by a pink beam of information, he and PKD wrote letters to each other about it.
Big thank you both for the amazing music over the years! and the lols in this thread to a lesser, but also important extent.
ps: pls digital release livesets as is it's totally not milking it pls

time masters, akira, my neighbour totoro

the first cartoon i liked as a kid was battle of the planets. i liked it a lot

keith leblanc, sly dunbar, john french

yeah

it wouldn't be buried

actually that makes a lot of sense

i really liked ubik as well, i get chills when i think about it

Rob + Sean: What are your favourite analogue filters for sound synthesis? (This is for a uni paper I'll be writing over the next few weeks)

Also, Reproduction or Travelogue?

Hi, Rob, Sean, Do you still use eurorack modules? I remember you said you use some doepfer modular in an early interview. Do you have any recommendation/favorite modules?

Thanks!

Hi, Rob, Sean, Do you still use eurorack modules? I remember you said you use some doepfer modular in an early interview. Do you have any recommendation/favorite modules?

Thanks!

don't think we said we had any doepfer, we have a british modular.

one of the most notable things about your records for a long time now, but especially with exai and lel event, is how unique the textures are. on watmm lots have noticed that the latest ep has a very "frothy" and "wet" sound. I don't mean this in a gay way. anyway, are there any records that you guys like that have such a distinct textural quality.

for instance, phoenicia's "brown out" or gas "pop" come to mind as examples of records that have a really unique feel and detailed textural aspect. don't say computer world.

always liked redundance 3 - porter ricks, for this

additional note re: much earlier post about driving music, i mentioned Erik Satie on entering a new town or city, this also rocks for that, but its the flip of that coin really. good scoping-place-out tune.

was tempted to post the youtube but its shitty quality sorry

One thing I've always been interested in knowing more about is the differences in styles between both of you guys. Could you maybe list a few tracks that were exclusively made by one of you, and which one made it? It would be interesting to know a handful of Sean only tracks and Rob only tracks and compare them.

was your unreleased Panic remix suppose to appear on anything official? I heard there was a Coil remix album that was officially being planned but never release that also included a Surgeon remix of Teenage Lightning (which he has since taken down off his soundcloud page)

Guest northernplastic

Sean, do you get pissed when you see Autechre albums in sharethreads?

And what's your general stance on music piracy?

I've probably listened to 'Any No. Between 1 & 17 (Autechre Remix)' close to a thousand times, no exaggeration. Does there exist a higher quality version of that track that I might be able to persuade you guys to sell to me if I were to come into a load of money? Like if I gave you a million dollars could I get a 24bit WAV of it?

You guys are the best, thanks for doing this thread.

i grew up taping stuff off my mates

i prob wouldn't be making tracks if we hadn't been able to do that. well, not very good ones anyway

tbh i don't care at all as long as we get enough to live on

Hah, still using Granulab to this day myself (after about 10 years of near daily use I thought it'd only be fair for me to pay for a registered copy :lol:). Is there any other granular synthesis programmes you enjoy using (or do you mainly make your own granular stuff) - It's by far my favourite tool in my kit, making a simple 16 bar loop getting evolve into a 10 minute ambient thing is my usual trick :

http://www.ilovecubus.co.uk/mp3/small_mercies/Track03%20extract%202.mp3

yeah we do our own usually these days

we used to do similar stuff with an eps but you'd get clicks

ever heard Einoma, an Icelandic duo, that is popular, but in rather narrow circles?

Edited by limbae

I would like to reiterate the question about your thoughts on physical modeling. Most people I discuss this with shrug it off as being too limiting, as it is an attempt to emulate realistic acoustic instruments, however I find that when pushing the limits of a physical modeling synth, you can get fantastic other worldly results. How much have you used physical modeling in your music?

Guest northernplastic

i grew up taping stuff off my mates

i prob wouldn't be making tracks if we hadn't been able to do that. well, not very good ones anyway

tbh i don't care at all as long as we get enough to live on

That's a respectable attitude.

what is yr opinion on the new bladerunner project?

can u describe a strange, noteworthy sound u have heard?

with no restrictions, logistical issues or politics, no problems of any kind; where would u most like to play live musics? it could be anywhere (under the ocean, the bottom of the mariana trench, the core of the sun wherever)

memorable, unusual sounds or things u have sampled, field recordings in hopes of using in musics, regardless of whether u did use it or not?

which artists / abstract paint do u enjoy? cy twombly, francis bacon, jean-michel basquiat?

name the last sound u sampled?

i try not to read about it

i mean maybe it will be amazing, i dunno

i wanna give them the benefit of the doubt

yeah the sound of ice sheets being hit by small stones

and the sound of claps echoing off a large corrugated wall which is set at an angle

a gig deep inside the untersberg would be interesting i'm sure

a metal master of a record (which is attached to a wall by a nail, thru the centre hole) being spun so that the rough unfinished edges of the disc rub against the woodchip wallpaper, recorded with a mic positioned underneath, quite close to the edge. yeah we used it

i like bridget riley a lot

did you know valis is basically a true story? there are online doco's and the exegesis is a real thing - you can buy a pretty large chunk of it in paperback. It's pretty wild. RAW also got hit by a pink beam of information, he and PKD wrote letters to each other about it.

ps: pls digital release livesets as is it's totally not milking it pls

I preferred the first draft of VALIS over the final version. The first draft is Radio Free Albemuth.

Edited by skibby

Guest margaret thatcher

What is one track, by any artist at any era, that you listen to and enjoy every time?

acid eiffel by choice

LFO vs FUSE : loop - journey mix

I've come out of hiding to commend you. Amazing song.

Oh, and a question... Do you two go to other people's gigs? What are the best live shows you've seen?

how much influence if any did Farmers Manual's work have on you guys?
I know the terms 'idm' and 'glitch are rather crass these days but are there any pioneers of this genre that you feel laid important ground for future music?