IGNORED

Tim Hecker - Infinity Pool (OST)

Rubin Farr

On 2/2/2023 at 3:49 AM, chemick said:

But what about this soundtrack? Can someone who doesn't hate him weigh in?

None of his stuff after Harmony in Ultraviolet did much for me, but I really like everything up to it.

The soundtrack does not work very well as a standalone album. My guess is that it's great as a soundtrack to the film. 

For other recent output, I would recommend The North Water OST. Great soundtrack to a great TV series. I also enjoyed Konoyo, including the gagaku-flutes. My (not so) humble opinion is that he releases solid albums almost every time (not a big fan of Instrumental Tourist and Love Streams) and that people should stop taking a dump in threads of artist they don't appreciate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/1/2023 at 11:17 PM, logakght said:

Ravedeath was his peak.

I love Ravedeath, North Water and this new soundtrack Infinity Pool. Surprised Spiral's so anti Hecker I thought he had good taste in music

• Like 2
  • Burger 1

Nah he likes Hecker ... just more the Florian kind ?

The track in the first post sounds quite different from his previous stuff, sounds more akin to something by Ben Frost. Am I right in thinking they collabed in the past, maybe he borrowed some composing tips !

This is my favourite of his, much less crunchy and lots of lovely field recordings and other found sound snippets

On 2/3/2023 at 2:27 AM, scumtron said:

My (not so) humble opinion is that he releases solid albums almost every time (not a big fan of Instrumental Tourist and Love Streams) and that people should stop taking a dump in threads of artist they don't appreciate.

I'm convinced a lot of the backlash has to do with Pitchfork successfully co-opting TH in the 00s, holding him up as a bastion to say "here, this is where electronic ambient IS AT," pulling him into their echo chamber, all the while having fuck all.biz to be arbiters of any technos whatsoever.  Then the machine becomes self-aware that it's a Pitchfork darling and suddenly the art get watered down in a broth of based-deer/hoof-hunters and sufjan stevens flacid penis in lana del rays mouth while lil wayne watches & jerks off in the corner

On 2/5/2023 at 12:32 PM, Alcofribas said:

electronic musicians face essential temptations against which few can remain chaste:

1. dj sets

2. modular

3. vocals

4. soundtracks

5. redoing their hits

This post made Chris Clark look up from a hooker's ass, face full of coke

• Like 4

Probably doesn't help with his interviews, his music is  “pagan music that dances on the ashes of a burnt church”, or “an electronic version of the Nordic desecrations of Christian sites” apparently. That and his rakish beenie hat. 

But... I still rate a lot of his stuff. Harmony in Ultraviolet in particular is a great album. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1