IGNORED

The Smile - Wall of Eyes

Poimandres

after 3 listens, the best part for me is the penderecki string action in bending hectic. the rest is nice but a bit sleepy, and not in the cool Talk Talk way.
much preferring jonny greenwood's soundtracks these days...

• Haha 1

I notice some tracks growing to new heights. Teleharmonic, Read the Room... But the undisputed center of the album, that moment when I leave my body.. "it might be as well" - Thom, those strings, the bass guitar... 

Really enjoying this on first few listen and sounds like it will be a grower as well, so guess time will tell how much I really like it but tis good for sure!

18 hours ago, o00o said:

The end of Bending Hectic is such a Radiohead moment. Really stands out 

Do you like the mastering of that guitar part? IRL, that is a loud part, but here in the recording the volume is about the same as the first incarnation of the refrain. I understand Pop music does not like much dynamic in volume, but here...

Also the mixing of that guitar part - compression kind of muddy.

Edited by WurstPLUS

36 minutes ago, WurstPLUS said:

Do you like the mastering of that guitar part? IRL, that is a loud part, but here in the recording the volume is about the same as the first incarnation of the refrain. I understand Pop music does not like much dynamic in volume, but here...

I have the same problem with that section. Just when it's supposed to explode with those distorted guitars it gets awkardly quiet and the sound is sort of ducked. Such a great song but I personally don't understand this decision.

1 hour ago, WurstPLUS said:

I start to care about technical details when I am not deeply emotionally involved to give my feelings (or lack of) a rational explanation which wasn't the case with this record at all. I could happily enjoy it without analyzing 

• 1 month later...

At the first gig of the tour tonight, ruined by fucking shite sound, so frustrating, they played a few new tracks that sounded good bar the actual sound farting out of the speakers

It was a venue thing so if anyone is seeing them soon I wouldn't be worried, the band were on form, headwrecking

• Sad 1

Sound was shite for James Holden too in the support slot but he was probably good too, speakers letting off fart noises when there was any bass, fuckin shockin

Only played this album once and I didn't pay too much attention. Sometimes I'm not in the mood for Thom Yorkes vocals, I have to be in the right frame of mind and I guess that's not the case at the moment. I didn't play In Rainbows (funnily enough my favorite) for a few years after release because after The Bends, OK Computer, Kid A and Amnesiac I was burnt out with him. Sometimes I don't play any Radiohead for a couple of years then all of a sudden, like a flick of a switch I can't stop playing them. Strange but true.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2024 at 9:42 AM, beerwolf said:

Only played this album once and I didn't pay too much attention. Sometimes I'm not in the mood for Thom Yorkes vocals, I have to be in the right frame of mind and I guess that's not the case at the moment. I didn't play In Rainbows (funnily enough my favorite) for a few years after release because after The Bends, OK Computer, Kid A and Amnesiac I was burnt out with him. Sometimes I don't play any Radiohead for a couple of years then all of a sudden, like a flick of a switch I can't stop playing them. Strange but true.

It’s a good thing. I am the same I don’t force it on me sometimes it just fits to my mood and then it’s great also pretty dependent on current season

Edited by o00o
  • Like 1

On 3/8/2024 at 12:42 AM, beerwolf said:

This is my experience too. Got this when it came out and honestly I haven't given it a full listen yet, just haven't really been in the mood. Played the first few tracks a handful of times and I'm enjoying them but it seems like a grower, kind of underwhelming initially.

Bending Hectic is incredible, I absolutely love that track, but I already listened to it a ton when it came out as a single last year so it feels like its own thing, I don't really associate it with this album yet.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2024 at 12:40 PM, jules said:

teleharmonic

fear goosebumps GIF by PBS Digital Studios

Relaxed Feel Good GIF by The Eric Andre Show

Orgasm Nut GIF by Giffffr

yes this answer is correct

• Like 1

I gave it a bit of a break after the first week odd, but lately I've been in a contemplative mood so this has been hitting the spot. 

Still don't think it really comes close to the first album. That just has too many good/great tracks. 

The first one does have a lot of great tracks, but this one is a much more cohesive album.

They had a live stream with an orchestra the other day and played a few new ones as well. They already have enough for a lengthy EP or building up to LP3 too. Prolific af. I kind of want them to just keep going rather than retreat back to Radiohead. for now at least...

I agree it's a more cohesive album. 

Could definitely go for an EP or another album. We need Just Eyes and Mouth at least... I really think that's one of their best tracks. 

the smile, the wall, the while... i'd say tom is a dorc.

wall of eyes... eat pork hehe

the guitar riff in thin thing is the only thing on the album worth listening to and its way too friggin short
wtf ftw but the yuck fuh the walk feckin talk

retire tom

creep because everybody wants to be know a weirdo? nice hairdo

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...