IGNORED

Select Ambient Works II Expanded Edition

ZoeB

19 hours ago, auxien said:

i paid about $47 USD for it from Tower Japan using the international pay service thing (all in English/routed through PayPal) not sure if i’ll get hit with additional import fees once it ships… :cat:

not in the states, you shouldn't. i think it's $800 before you're getting charged anything extra.

On 6/21/2024 at 11:00 AM, beerwolf said:

Definitely gonna pull the trigger on the Jap CD version. In the past I've just bought from eBay or discogs at the going price. Which has been reasonable. Not entirely confident about using pages translated from Japanese! 

amazon japan translates to english too. it's just like using any other amazon, pretty much. not daunting in the slightest. just dry run it first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gonna be super happy with a remastered / expanded CD set so I can retire my original CDs to the archives. 

Amazing album that's been with me for as long as I can remember

• Like 1

5 hours ago, beerwolf said:

Anyone now wishing they'd ordered the bees knees version? I am. I think....

Not I.

I’m happy with the tapes… or will be happy with the tapes. I almost feel like those are more special than the LP box, anyway. Plus, I am broke atm, so the price point on the tapes is much nicer. 

14 minutes ago, milkface said:

Got it today! The cotton is a little thin but the cut is perfect

Gildan or American Apparel or some other brand?

5 hours ago, beerwolf said:

Take that 300 and invest it in a high-yield savings account (if applicable in your country)

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2024 at 3:45 PM, beerwolf said:

yes, i ordered and cancelled after the realisation of customs taxes, completely pissed off to be honest and have to say i am done with warp, got  the whole tshirt and pink release for squarepusher latest a while back and that also left a bad feeling so didn't bother with the afx one. The SAW 2 boxset looks well cool but a piss take for EU folks and quite disrespectful. I have well over 100 warp pressings and nearly everything of Aphex, warp are mugging people off and have lost their soul! Maybe i am just getting old ha

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Empirix said:

yes, i ordered and cancelled after the realisation of customs taxes, completely pissed off to be honest and have to say i am done with warp, got  the whole tshirt and pink release for squarepusher latest a while back and that also left a bad feeling so didn't bother with the afx one. The SAW 2 boxset looks well cool but a piss take for EU folks and quite disrespectful. I have well over 100 warp pressings and nearly everything of Aphex, warp are mugging people off and have lost their soul! Maybe i am just getting old ha

Yeah when you consider how many epic releases have been happening in the last few years after the pandemic outside of the afx bubble by other artists these 30% filler releases by afx are just not really grasping me like they did before. There have been so many afx releases recently with a handful of ok tracks plus something basically just used as filler that I really grew tired of and stopped caring. It feels like a never ending money machine that always leaves you back with the feeling of having spent way too much on something that feels half exciting 

Edited by o00o

It's a shame the vinyl doesn't come in a gatefold sleeve.  I thought it was at first glance but then realized what I thought was a gatefold is the included poster.  I guess I'll keep my inferior 1972 pressing if only for the sleeve.  I still prefer the original artwork.  Something about the white background offset with the organic logo gave the whole thing a kind of spiritual quality.  

I was thinking today how thrilled I am to finally have locked this album down on vinyl. Standard version but it’s more than enough to make me happy. serious question on cassettes - are people buying these to collect, or to use/listen to? I’m missing the boat on the tape renaissance for sure, just trying to understand it. 

7 hours ago, killabyte11 said:

It's a shame the vinyl doesn't come in a gatefold sleeve.  I thought it was at first glance but then realized what I thought was a gatefold is the included poster.  I guess I'll keep my inferior 1972 pressing if only for the sleeve.  I still prefer the original artwork.  Something about the white background offset with the organic logo gave the whole thing a kind of spiritual quality.  

the designer in me hates the massive space between the aphex logo and album title on the new artwork.

i get that they've probably retained the positioning from the original, but without the white bars it looks like you could land a fackin jumbo jet in between the two.

23 hours ago, Friendly Stranger said:

I was thinking today how thrilled I am to finally have locked this album down on vinyl. Standard version but it’s more than enough to make me happy. serious question on cassettes - are people buying these to collect, or to use/listen to? I’m missing the boat on the tape renaissance for sure, just trying to understand it. 

I missed out on the cassette but not sure I would have bought in anyway.  While I do love cassette and I have a fairly high end deck, the  problem with the majority of commercially released albums is that they're released on low quality tape to cut costs.  Cassette is the only medium where higher quality blank tapes are available compared to most commercially released cassette albums.  For me the beauty of cassette is the ability to make your own recordings.  Take a high quality tape, in a good deck, set the levels to your liking and make a nice mixtape.  

Also, I personally think the original cassette packaging looks of a far higher quality...which can be seen by flipping through the images here.  https://www.discogs.com/release/864752-Aphex-Twin-Selected-Ambient-Works-Volume-II