IGNORED

Select Ambient Works II Expanded Edition

ZoeB

I had a really lovely birthday this past Sunday, listening through this album twice in a row, drinking tea, and re-reading the Alan Moore run of Swamp Thing comics.  The album is such a masterpiece.

• Like 6

when i was a teenager i wanted a casette copy of this album so bad that i made my own bootleg copy and printed out a scan of the j-card from the first edition.  now, as an adult, i dont really care.

great album but ive listened to it so many times that its greatness has worn off for me.  it doesnt sound much more special than traffic or muffled neighborhood dogs barking these days.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2024 at 3:34 PM, chenGOD said:

Ugh, Tower Japan has the 4LP set and a 3UHQCD set, and they both have different stickers....

Ended up going with the 4LP set. Will pick up next week - how exciting!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, drillkicker said:

when i was a teenager i wanted a casette copy of this album so bad that i made my own bootleg copy and printed out a scan of the j-card from the first edition.  now, as an adult, i dont really care.

great album but ive listened to it so many times that its greatness has worn off for me.  it doesnt sound much more special than traffic or muffled neighborhood dogs barking these days.

When were you a teenager, 5 years ago?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, thumbass said:

Watmm is full of old souls lol

Im 22 myself and I genuinely thought everyone on herenwas at least 20 years older than me

I am the demographic of which you speak. 
For me, I was in high school when picked up SAW2 in 95 and it was my main sleeping record. I would put the headphones of my Discman under my pillow (wtf, spell-check is red-lining that) and listen to it muffled/quietly through my pillow every night. 

Side note, when I was younger and I was very tired, sometimes I used to close my eyes and my body would feel like it was spinning and flipping around, head over heels in a bizarrely euphoric way (completely sober). I haven’t felt that feeling in many years but was curious if anyone else ever felt that way.  
?
Anyway, thinking of listening to SAW2 in high school makes me miss that feeling. 

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 8

Finally got my copy delivered! It sounds amazing, worth the wait. One of the first “electronic” albums I ever owned in my early teenage years, so happy as a middle 40s dad to be listening to this on a nice system. Just in time for the shorter fall/winter days, this will be a fireplace listen on the regular.

• Like 5

Cancelled my online order and brought LP from local record store which felt better buying this album from them so feel double good now that I’ve listened to it today all the way through! 

Rhubarb Orc.19.53 Rev is a lovely fitting for end of this record imo! Even more my favourite album now 

• Like 4

i have been having it on loop last week every time when I go to bed.
Just reading a book, have little bit light on, drink some tea and drift away into dream lands. The best is when it starts to rain outside. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

I am the demographic of which you speak. 
For me, I was in high school when picked up SAW2 in 95 and it was my main sleeping record. I would put the headphones of my Discman under my pillow (wtf, spell-check is red-lining that) and listen to it muffled/quietly through my pillow every night. 

Side note, when I was younger and I was very tired, sometimes I used to close my eyes and my body would feel like it was spinning and flipping around, head over heels in a bizarrely euphoric way (completely sober). I haven’t felt that feeling in many years but was curious if anyone else ever felt that way.  
?
Anyway, thinking of listening to SAW2 in high school makes me miss that feeling. 

i used to listen to robert rich and sleep research facility while sleeping during high school.  it gave me crazy dreams.

i also liked the feeling of sleep deprivation back then.  i intentionally gave myself an irregular sleep schedule and had my alarm set to wriggle like a fucking eel by whitehouse, connected to my guitar amplifier with the gain way up on the far side of my bedroom to force me out of bed with no time to mentally wake up.  the result was that id spend the first couple hours of school hallucinating in a dreamlike state.  saw ii was my favorite album to listen to while experiencing that.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 10/13/2024 at 9:23 AM, thumbass said:

Watmm is full of old souls lol

Im 22 myself and I genuinely thought everyone on herenwas at least 20 years older than me

I tried to watmm when I was 16 in 2005, didn't go so well, came back at 26 and now I'm 36

• Like 2

Managed to snag a great offer on an upgrade to RX11 yesterday, was curious to hear the improvement in the vocal isolation so offered it a challenge with track 12.

Needed to manually re-pitch bits of the track 'by ear' as the speed was all over the place, and the dynamic reverb and filtering means it'll be impossible to get it much clearer but I thought you'd be interested in the conversation in slightly better clarity:

https://ilovecubus.co.uk/pete/sawII_tr12_denoise.mp3

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, mcbpete said:

Managed to snag a great offer on an upgrade to RX11 yesterday, was curious to hear the improvement in the vocal isolation so offered it a challenge with track 12.

Needed to manually re-pitch bits of the track 'by ear' as the speed was all over the place, and the dynamic reverb and filtering means it'll be impossible to get it much clearer but I thought you'd be interested in the conversation in slightly better clarity:

https://ilovecubus.co.uk/pete/sawII_tr12_denoise.mp3

Thanks for this! Very interesting. 

Maybe it can be made on some other tracks as well? Really great stuff to hear this!