IGNORED

James Bernard - Atmospherics (Past Inside the Present)

dcom

One of the ambient staples in my life gets an anniversary reissue/remaster w/ reinterpretations album by bvdub. Extremely highly recommended.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 5

awesome. was always hoping pitp or asip would reissue this.

little bummed that there is no vinyl as i've waited quite some time for a reissue of this. but i am learning to to enjoy cd's again.

I know PITP seems to have given up on vinyl, but I would have thought this would have been an exception, it'd easily sell out. One of Rising High's many 1994 classics. Just need Syzygy's Morphic Resonance back in print now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, purlieu said:

I know PITP seems to have given up on vinyl, but I would have thought this would have been an exception, it'd easily sell out. One of Rising High's many 1994 classics. Just need Syzygy's Morphic Resonance back in print now.

Is this coveted? I have a vinyl copy somewhere.

2 hours ago, purlieu said:

agree with all of this

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, purlieu said:

Seriously, tapes but no vinyl? This is a weird direction to be taking.

One costs waaaaaaaaaay less to make than the other! To handle both James' and Brocks albums, it'd be a 4xLP minimum. Only nutters put out 4LP's right now (like me)

PITP isn't done with vinyl, but the hiatus may continue into 2025. People have less expendable income, and vinyl manufacturing continues to snowball out of control, which has left many labels in a difficult position. PITP in particular was releasing a lot of vinyl, so Zach (the guy who runs the label) is having to do a bit of re-balancing for the new paradigm.

Atmospherics is a classic though, and perfect for the CD and tape formats. I'd rather hear it on those than vinyl, personally.

Edited by brisk

Second pressing of 2xCD now available, first was sold out in advance and the last copies Juno had were sold out during the Listening party.

Edited by dcom

2 hours ago, brisk said:

One costs waaaaaaaaaay less to make than the other! To handle both James' and Brocks albums, it'd be a 4xLP minimum. Only nutters put out 4LP's right now (like me)

PITP isn't done with vinyl, but the hiatus may continue into 2025. People have less expendable income, and vinyl manufacturing continues to snowball out of control, which has left many labels in a difficult position. PITP in particular was releasing a lot of vinyl, so Zach (the guy who runs the label) is having to do a bit of re-balancing for the new paradigm.

Atmospherics is a classic though, and perfect for the CD and tape formats. I'd rather hear it on those than vinyl, personally.

I suppose I'm still a bit baffled by the popularity of tapes. I've put out a fair few in my time, albeit because it's hard to find small labels who do other formats these days, but I barely buy any because... well, I remember getting into tapes when they were a tiny DIY thing for often lo-fi experimental stuff, and they seemed a suitable format, but I really don't get the appeal for other stuff in the slightest. I have the original album on CD, but honestly rarely use the format these days, and I'm growing a small collection of my all-time favourite albums on vinyl, so was hoping this would get a reissue.

I'm not a fan of bvdub so not interested in the remix disc, I suppose I was just hoping a reissue would mean more easy availability of the album on vinyl, because finding a NM copy for a decent price isn't so easy, and it'd be nice to have a copy from the artist. Labels like re:discovery and Silent State have been bringing a lot of these great '90s albums back into print, so I'm just surprised that this wasn't considered for the format too - I totally understand the general move away from vinyl, the entire vinyl industry is such a nightmare these days, but with such a collectable classic like Atmospherics it just feels like a wasted opportunity.

Eh. I'm still glad the album's back and getting a bit more attention, it's a masterpiece and deserves to be rediscovered by a new audience. 

• Like 1

Oh dang. I remember hearing about this back when released, and failing to get my hands on it, and then I forgot it existed.

I feel like I just got a thumbs up from 30-years-ago-me.