IGNORED

Beck says about Aphex Twin

Guest aphexvancouver

why does everyone rip it out of beck, just coz hes not electronic music or electronic, he's a good artist..

i dont know, maybe for the same reason people rip on Vanilla ice Eminem or Limp Bizkit?

hes not as fake or bad as those guys.

i wasnt making a comparison to their trendiness level, just how untalented and embarrassingly white-boy rap, and how heavily they rely on their producers for their sound (Vanilla ice Eminem or Limp Bizkit, Beck, Snow, MC9000 ft jesus)

(a) whiteboy rap is only one dimension of his total output. albums like sea change and mellow gold, for example, have no whiteboy rap, and are two of his best albums.

(b) beck's "sound" is arguably best stripped down and lo-fi, which is how he came up and got popular in the first place, just a self-deprecating dude with a shit guitar and a tape recorder. artists like him who get started playing in clubs, selling out shows, and building a strong loyal fanbase obviously dont rely on producers for their sound, they have a degree of talent at bassline that is enhanced by producers the way every talented artist's sound is. and he should get props for associating himself with producers like nigel godrich--yet another testament to beck's excellent taste.

YOU SO SILLY LOL!

and a big fat "aw come on" at people hating on beck for giving cred to aphex. so what if he mentions bjork in the same sentence. she's the ten years ahead part and aphex is the 15 years ahead part.

no comment on hating on beck for being a scientologist. i would say dont judge people on their beliefs but scientology is seriously fucked up lol.

but musically beck so completely dominates entire catalogs upon catalogs of shitty electronic music record labels, his music is infinitely enjoyable. he's really the only artist leftover from the mid nineties that still puts out interesting non-embarassing non-"oh he's too old for this anymore" type shit.

and beck isn't arrogant.

why does everyone rip it out of beck, just coz hes not electronic music or electronic, he's a good artist..

i dont know, maybe for the same reason people rip on Vanilla ice Eminem or Limp Bizkit?

hes not as fake or bad as those guys.

i wasnt making a comparison to their trendiness level, just how untalented and embarrassingly white-boy rap, and how heavily they rely on their producers for their sound (Vanilla ice Eminem or Limp Bizkit, Beck, Snow, MC9000 ft jesus)

(a) whiteboy rap is only one dimension of his total output. albums like sea change and mellow gold, for example, have no whiteboy rap, and are two of his best albums.

(b) beck's "sound" is arguably best stripped down and lo-fi, which is how he came up and got popular in the first place, just a self-deprecating dude with a shit guitar and a tape recorder. artists like him who get started playing in clubs, selling out shows, and building a strong loyal fanbase obviously dont rely on producers for their sound, they have a degree of talent at bassline that is enhanced by producers the way every talented artist's sound is. and he should get props for associating himself with producers like nigel godrich--yet another testament to beck's excellent taste.

YOU SO SILLY LOL!

and a big fat "aw come on" at people hating on beck for giving cred to aphex. so what if he mentions bjork in the same sentence. she's the ten years ahead part and aphex is the 15 years ahead part.

no comment on hating on beck for being a scientologist. i would say dont judge people on their beliefs but scientology is seriously fucked up lol.

but musically beck so completely dominates entire catalogs upon catalogs of shitty electronic music record labels, his music is infinitely enjoyable. he's really the only artist leftover from the mid nineties that still puts out interesting non-embarassing non-"oh he's too old for this anymore" type shit.

and beck isn't arrogant.

yes mr.mcgriff!

most of his new stuff is whiteboy rap, although i find his older pre Mellow Gold stuff very enjoyable. i just think his new stuff sounds like a bad version of 'Lucas with the lid off'

lucas2.jpg

lol, sad that I knew that was Lucas with teh Lid off from just looking at the pic. . . then again, I do have the Gondry DVD.

Anyway, first off, from the quote I don't see where Beck is "comparing" Bjork and Aphex or "putting them in the same category." All the quote says is that they are out on a limb in terms of where music is. And, frankly, it's kind of true w/Bjork though she may just do a good job picking producers.

I mean, wtf, she had Mark Bell rocking that shit back in the day and then Matmos and the most recent shit with Razhel and I never even LISTENED to Drawing Restraint but I'm willing to bet it's fucking a difficult listen.

Regardless, I enjoy listening to all three of them for different reasons.

Oh yeah, and when did it become fashionable to dissect offhand comments and draw a complete analysis and judgment of a person based on that? I thought that sort of bullshit was reserved for twats on the xbox live forums but I guess not. . . .

P.S. Eminem rocks. *flame shield activates*

most of his new stuff is whiteboy rap, although i find his older pre Mellow Gold stuff very enjoyable. i just think his new stuff sounds like a bad version of 'Lucas with the lid off'

lucas2.jpg

i love everything upto and including mellow gold

and sea change is a really nice album

one foot in the gravy is becks finest hout in my book

but everything else got real old real quick with me

like odelay - that got really unbearable after a handful of plays

all his crypto bullshit drivel raps are embarassing to me now

and whatever that sex war crap was all about wtf?

I think that it's hilarious that everyone slags on Trent Reznor because his lyrics are juvenile and then when someone like Beck comes along that has a more unique lyric style that is full of riddles, literary references, and interesting metaphors, then you call it cryptic bullshit.

Guest echidna

lucas2.jpg

Oh my fuck. I've had pieces of that song stuck in my head for the last ten years and I could never remember what it was or even begin to describe it to someone. You've given me closure.

Guest MMBKG

Beck is a rather versatile musician...just by shuffling through his catalog you hear his love for folk, hip hop, bossa nova, electro, funk, alt rock, etc. and his desire to innovate has only really died down recently as it seems he's finally settled into a 'sound'. Beck songs now sound like Beck songs. That's not really a bad thing though, it's just something that happens after a while, I guess.

I'm sure most people on this board would consider Björk (and perhaps Beck) lightyears ahead of most pop music coming out today. They're some of the only big name artists really pushing things forward these days (Björk more than Beck as of late, but seven years ago I would have said the inverse) and if either of them near the words "Aphex Twin" really bothers people, well...

...internets.

Everything Odelay! backwards is awesome, everything after that is a bit meh, but usually has some great songs here and there. 1000bpm springs to mind.

Guest Dr of Quantization

Poor Beck… next thing you guys will say is Moby is great… infact is he the next Sauarepusher??

Archived