IGNORED

Analogue, 1970's, nintendo music.

Guest joshier

Guest joshier

ok, I'd first like to ask who likes this kind of old, retro music..

For me, there's nothing worse than being stuck in the 70's and having only synthesizers and analogue drum machines making the samples, so you can start to understand why I dislike the analord series so much.

Analord to me, is quite simply the same concept as you would see in day to day life, where people have a low self esteem, so in their best hopes they rise up the corporate ladder to buy some flash car and feel good about their selves and laugh at others to make them feel better.... the kind of situation where the actual car - being very expensive - doesn't make the driver a good one.. in fact, it makes him worse - with this new boost of confidence in him/her, they are able to make decisions faster without taking into account many of the normal factors they would usually take in.

This of course results in some flashy looking car, a terrible driver who doesn't give way, and practically fucks everyone off, including pedestrians, but is able to still make people go 'Wow, look at that beautiful car!'

I'm a loyal aphex twin fan, but I'm not some brain dead fuck wit who bows down to him sucking his cock after he's just been fucking some guy in the ass.

If it's shit music, it's shit music.

What led me to him in the first place was his skill, a genuine love for making music, and breaking new grounds in the electronic scene.

This new material isn't breaking any boundaries, it's not even pushing them slightly, it's staying well put and even going back in time some 10 years.

I'll watch all the deluded fan boys swarm around and convince their selves that it's good music, constantly reassuring their peers that they "enjoy it", rather, they are making their selves believe they enjoy it so they do.

Look back fan boys, what got you into aphex in the first place?.. was it because of his analord series?.. or EP's/LP's like Drukqs, Window licker and Come to daddy?

I've had my say.

Thanks.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest joshier
analord isn't shit, end of

Most of it is.

Why did he make the tracks out of shit sounding samples?

- Take a look at the car concept in the first post.

Guest tht! tne

i have patience for his decision to do what he likes

that's better than him contriving halfassed drillnbass

not that anything he's done was halfassed just

a lot of analord i don't enjoy as much as hab-drukqs

i still appreciate it for what it is

i get your car analogy i don't think that's what's going on

Guest joshier
i have patience for his decision to do what he likes

that's better than him contriving halfassed drillnbass

not that anything he's done was halfassed just

a lot of analord i don't enjoy as much as hab-drukqs

i still appreciate it for what it is

i get your car analogy i don't think that's what's going on

Because you didn't make the very easy to link similarities, let me do it for you.

How much is a moog?.. how much is a GX-1?, a GX-1, according to wikipedia is 'Original price: $60,000'...

Now, tell me how that is so, very very different to owning an expensive car?

This guy is making music for the money, and primarily for the money.. maybe before it was about the love for making music, but these latest tracks really are half-assed, the second track was better, but the whole skill level and quality of the 3 EP tracks was so low that I really still find it hard to believe it's richard d james. - the man who gave us drukqs, window licker and come to daddy.

Guest sinkfield

just because it isnt groundbreaking doesnt mean it isnt good, music used to be about melodies, harmonies, beats...i think that's what analord is about, yes it does go back in a certain way, but it goes back in a good way....imho anyways

edit: im talking about analord not the tuss, which i think is crap

Guest cyphersum
I'm not some brain dead fuck wit who bows down to him sucking his cock after he's just been fucking some guy in the ass.

what's so wrong about that? You need to learn to be more openminded and experiment a little. :>

Anyways...

I started listening in 93 with AB and Polygon Window (as well as Ae and Black Dog b/c of the AI comps).

I have to say that I have enjoyed every single thing RDJ has done over the last 15 years for the simple fact that he creates music as it pertains to him and for him regardless of his studio setup. The signature he puts on his sound creations are just so indelible.

I really like the Analord series because I can hear that he is trying to make music with a given set of tools that are perhaps a bit more limiting due to his gear setup. The exception to this IMO are Fenix Funk 5, Xmd5a, Boxing Day and Reunion2 which sound like Drukqs era recordings than Analord session recordings. I will agree that some of the Analord series tracks are a bit challenging but for the most part I think the tracks accomplish that 'sound' he was going for.

if you listen carfully you will find out that he used strange synths also a lot on druqks and the richard d james album he just put a more obvious focus on them on analord and used them in a different way

its not such a incomprehensible development as you might think when giving the analords a short skipping trough

i only like about 50% of the analords.. the tuss ep, well i only really like alspacka, it is a great track, and to me sounds very similar to rdj, but not the other tracks on that ep. i would love for aphex to drop the whole analord type sound thing now and progress onto something different.. it would sure be lame if he continues with this type of sound imo, and i dont want another drukqs album either, but would be nice to hear something that has a different style than the rest of his previous work, something fresh instead of using roland drum machines all the time.

Guest Rook

If you dont like XMD 5a,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :devil:

I dont think every single drn analord is the greatest thing ever, but some are quite good. Great musiks can be made with either computers or old hardware.

If you dont like XMD 5a,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :devil:

I dont think every single drn analord is the greatest thing ever, but some are quite good. Great musiks can be made with either computers or old hardware.

hey! that's one of my favourite tracks off analord! along wittth im self employed, pwsteal, fenix funk 5, vbs redlof, klopjob... list goes on.

Guest joshier

Don't get me wrong, some analord I enjoy but why make so many of them?... there's special additions with special packaging... I just don't like the whole money business going along with it..

Not only am I let down that he is making half-assed tracks lately (I do enjoy alspacka, but it doesn't amount to much), like most of the analord series, but 1, he's trying to make as much money as possible out of it (going to stupid lengths) and 2 because as I said in my example, just because you have some super expensive amazing legendary nintendo 1970's style hardware synths - doesn't make the tracks any better...

I look for real talent... much emotion.. a sense of new directions..

It's like he's burying his head in the sand with this one and shouting 'fucking look, I use great hardware synths, hardware synths so expensive you would never be able to use one in your life, but I'm pissing all over you and look how great and talented I am'.. well, sorry rich, but the majority of music you've released lately is shocking, even to the most loyal fan - despite their claims that they 'love gx-1 solo' and the even worse track on the vinyl.

Get a fucking grip people.

Guest joshier
I really like the Analord series because I can hear that he is trying to make music with a given set of tools that are perhaps a bit more limiting due to his gear setup. The exception to this IMO are Fenix Funk 5, Xmd5a, Boxing Day and Reunion2 which sound like Drukqs era recordings than Analord session recordings. I will agree that some of the Analord series tracks are a bit challenging but for the most part I think the tracks accomplish that 'sound' he was going for.

I can see what your saying, and I have even done a similar concept before and limited myself - but that was for personal experimentation, - I wasn't proud of it and wouldn't have tried to sell it..

I don't care that he sells his experiments, but it's like he's stuck in first gear - he can't get out of that limited experiment he done and now delves in it - regardless of the actual tracks quality... this goes for melody, drum patterns, emotion, complexity...

It looses all my respect I had for him... Sure, analord was long winded and it was a shame that he done so many instead of doing something different - but this latest release is just taking the piss .. get out of the fucking 1970's nintendo synth music and do something fucking different.

I liked alot of Analord, I like 70's synths and 80's drum machines, so that went along quite well I'd say.

The Tuss kind of bored me really. I can barely sit thru any of them. GX-1 Solo is just some noodling with a S&H and a swing beat preset. I wonder if we're being Andy Warhol'd with that sort of thing. Which I would totally love because I find it hillarious. At the end of the day, I'm not pissed off or upset at him at all, why would you be? It's his music to release.

It's all a matter of taste though isn't it? On the whole I prefer Analord to Drukqs. Sure it may not be as groundbreaking, but at the end of the day, I know which one I'd rather chill out and listen to. It's both a throwback to his earlier material and an experiment in setting limits, which has always interested me. A lot of Analord is filler, sure, but there is well over a standard LP of excellent tracks.

And who couldn't love Xmd5a!

Guest Romhotep
I can see what your saying, and I have even done a similar concept before and limited myself - but that was for personal experimentation, - I wasn't proud of it and wouldn't have tried to sell it..

I don't care that he sells his experiments, but it's like he's stuck in first gear - he can't get out of that limited experiment he done and now delves in it - regardless of the actual tracks quality... this goes for melody, drum patterns, emotion, complexity...

It looses all my respect I had for him... Sure, analord was long winded and it was a shame that he done so many instead of doing something different - but this latest release is just taking the piss .. get out of the fucking 1970's nintendo synth music and do something fucking different.

What if he finds the tracks aesthetically pleasing, and felt like releasing them based on this? Is this just not a possibility in yr fun little close-minded world?

Guest transfer
ok, I'd first like to ask who likes this kind of old, retro music..

For me, there's nothing worse than being stuck in the 70's and having only synthesizers and analogue drum machines making the samples, so you can start to understand why I dislike the analord series so much.

Analord to me, is quite simply the same concept as you would see in day to day life, where people have a low self esteem, so in their best hopes they rise up the corporate ladder to buy some flash car and feel good about their selves and laugh at others to make them feel better.... the kind of situation where the actual car - being very expensive - doesn't make the driver a good one.. in fact, it makes him worse - with this new boost of confidence in him/her, they are able to make decisions faster without taking into account many of the normal factors they would usually take in.

This of course results in some flashy looking car, a terrible driver who doesn't give way, and practically fucks everyone off, including pedestrians, but is able to still make people go 'Wow, look at that beautiful car!'

I'm a loyal aphex twin fan, but I'm not some brain dead fuck wit who bows down to him sucking his cock after he's just been fucking some guy in the ass.

If it's shit music, it's shit music.

What led me to him in the first place was his skill, a genuine love for making music, and breaking new grounds in the electronic scene.

This new material isn't breaking any boundaries, it's not even pushing them slightly, it's staying well put and even going back in time some 10 years.

I'll watch all the deluded fan boys swarm around and convince their selves that it's good music, constantly reassuring their peers that they "enjoy it", rather, they are making their selves believe they enjoy it so they do.

Look back fan boys, what got you into aphex in the first place?.. was it because of his analord series?.. or EP's/LP's like Drukqs, Window licker and Come to daddy?

I've had my say.

Thanks.

"Innovation In The Dynamics Of Acid"........... & for me it was Surfing On Sine Waves.

this thread proves why i hatea fuckload of electronic music, groundbreaking doesn't mean good,especially notwhen the only goal is to make it gorundbreaking. i'd take blues scales and proper harmonies anyday before random twelve tone electronic music randomness.there's a reason it's overused, because it sounds good. microtonalities is groundbreaking as fuck but it makes my ears cringe. fuck that shit.

analord series

Guest mystery user
This new material isn't breaking any boundaries, it's not even pushing them slightly

yeah, because thats what it's all about, right? ...

i want to crush you! fucking gobshite

Guest joshier
This new material isn't breaking any boundaries, it's not even pushing them slightly

yeah, because thats what it's all about, right? ...

i want to crush you!

What interested in you to aphex twin?.. because he made 1970's nintendo, megadrive music?

Guest mystery user
What interested in you to aphex twin?.. because he made 1970's nintendo, megadrive music?

?

it was his ability to make good music. end of.

Archived