IGNORED

Analogue, 1970's, nintendo music.

Guest joshier

Guest joshier
What interested in you to aphex twin?.. because he made 1970's nintendo, megadrive music?

?

it was his ability to make good music. end of.

Why limit what instruments he uses?.. He's a big kid playing with the most expensive equipment, and he's selling it off without any fucking effort involved..

It's a fad to him it seems, but he's forgot about actually making good music..

I could be wrong.. The Tuss could be someone else, and I really hope it is.... but after all this analord stuff, well, it seems as though it might just be him.. and what a shame.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ok, I'd first like to fuck some fuck wit deluded fan boys guycock in my 70's ass stuck in the 70's electronic skill scene EP's/LP's shit genuine low self esteem practically fuck love music who dislikes this kind of old, constantly reassuring their peers retro feel good expensivemusic.. I'm a loyal aphuckanaltwinlicker

'Wow, look at that beautiful shit music!'

For me, there's nothing worse than being a brain dead fuck wit stuck in the 70's in some flashy looking car and having only cocksynthesizers and analoguepedestrian drum machaphexines making the groundboundaries, so you can start to understand why I bow down to him sucking his cocklike analord series so much. breaking new ass

What led me to him in the first place was his cock

I've had my say.

Thanks.

Jolly good mate, now you can return to writing hilarious self-serving "reviews" on YLC, remixing sunglasses at night and waiting for the new chemical brothers album.

Guest Romhotep
Why limit what instruments he uses?.. He's a big kid playing with the most expensive equipment, and he's selling it off without any fucking effort involved..

It's like an artist turning from pure digital photoshop shit, and doing nothing but purely physical painting. Maybe you don't like his desire to mess around with older techniques and see how he can innovate within them; doesn't mean the progression of his aesthetic values has gone the same direction as yours. Besides, his work has definitely garnered a passionate response from you. It's hard to do that with a product that has nothing put into it whatsoever, for if there was nothing imbued artistically into the piece you would be more likely to just glance over it and not get onto a tirade about it.

Guest joshier

It's like an artist turning from pure digital photoshop shit, and doing nothing but purely physical painting. Maybe you don't like his desire to mess around with older techniques and see how he can innovate within them; doesn't mean the progression of his aesthetic values has gone the same direction as yours. Besides, his work has definitely garnered a passionate response from you. It's hard to do that with a product that has nothing put into it whatsoever, for if there was nothing imbued artistically into the piece you would be more likely to just glance over it and not get onto a tirade about it.

I'm not so angry about his music, it's the more reaction on here... there's people saying gx-1 solo is good.. they can't see the blatant lack of skill and genuine lack of effort put into a track like that, same foes for track 3 and the vinyl track.

Basically, because there's a high belief that it is in fact aphex twin, then suddenly they automatically listen to it and *make* their selves like it..

Some people are noticing how shit the latest release really is, but still some people are saying it's great.. it's really not..

OK, so, obviously everyone is entitled to their opinions, and I'm not out to shoot them down, but I will have my own say..

Also, the example you gave about a painter going to real canvas from photoshop couldn't be further from the truth.. A more accurate example is a canvas painter going to photoshop CS3 - the kind of very expensive equipment only available to people who get paid a hell of a lot..

Just because aphex twin has these special instruments doesn't mean that releasing a 5 minute gx-1 solo with no emotion, no technical skill and no new direction is special or good... as I said before, if it's shit music, it's shit music.. I don't fucking care how expencive the tools he uses are, you cannot polish shit.

I've heard a classical cover from window licker.. I wouldn't say the guy playing it is any good at the cover, but what you hear is genuine skill, the window licker track still stands to date as a good track..

I'd like people to hear a gx-1 solo cover from a classical stand point and still are able to truthfully say "Wow, I still quite like this"...

Tools don't make music, skill and talent does.

Guest joshier
Jolly good mate, now you can return to writing hilarious self-serving "reviews" on YLC, remixing sunglasses at night and waiting for the new chemical brothers album.

I'm sorry that the latest aphex twin release isn't any good, but don't take it out on me.. not my fault.

i can see where joshier is coming from.. the only track i like off the tuss ep is alspacka, thats it! the rest bores me, i cant listen to gx-1 solo coz it just doesn't do anything for me at all, it does not "interest me" i hope he comes out of this analord phase of his and moves onto a different direction, otherwise his future music could potentially bore me, and hope his aphex name is not diminished

Guest joshier
I'd like to know your opinion of Boc's "Analogue, 1970's" music.... :rolleyes:

MUSIC IS NON-TEMPORAL

BOC doesn't limit what instruments they use to the extent that aphex twin is doing...

This recent release, and the analords are all that kind of sound, the same sound generation to make them seamless.. some people prefer that, personally I wouldn't mind if he done some other new stuff... but come on, analord is a pretty big volume, and even now he doesn't appear to be stopping there... (especially with the up coming LP)

It's also not that I dislike the actual sound.. it's the music. The melody, feel, rhythm, drums.. they are just no there.

I can appreciate simplistic music, like his music from polygon, or didgeridoo.. but this music doesn't seem as though it's backed up by a talented guy... and if it is - then it's a talented guy wanting to make a quick buck.

I do like track 2, but as I say, it's not going anywhere, and it's no where near as good as some of the analord tracks, or even drukqs and so on.

Guest bias

in this form the analord vinyl set is crap. he must have cut it down to a double LP or an LP by leaving the strong tunes only and dickin out the crap. he did this with every release before Drukqs, which is the first release from Rich in what i cannot find real concept.

he had tons of tunes before as well, but he did not release an RDJ LP 3x12" or a Selected Ambient Works Volume II 6x12", he gave up his good method of choosing the best tracks and make as short and simple as possible. what a pity...

:cry:

I've heard a classical cover from window licker.. I wouldn't say the guy playing it is any good at the cover, but what you hear is genuine skill, the window licker track still stands to date as a good track..

I'd like people to hear a gx-1 solo cover from a classical stand point and still are able to truthfully say "Wow, I still quite like this"...

Leaving aside the gear issue for the moment, you dislike GX-1 Solo because it doesn't have an immediate or memorable melody line or hook that could be universally translatable. I understand and empathise but you have to remember RDJ has a very avant-garde taste in music, just look at some of the shit Rephlex has put out in recent years, Pierre Bastien, Victor De Gama, Radiophonic Workshop. I think in recent years he has moved away from the simple 4 bar aphex melodies we have come to love and dipped his toes further into experimentation and obtuseness. It doesn't mean the music is crappier per se.

It reminds me of a Squarepusher interview where in reference to Music Is Rotted... he says that it is very easy to get people to like your music if you use appealing and pleasurable melodies, when you take that away to limit yourself things become more interesting.

Leaving aside the gear issue for the moment, you dislike GX-1 Solo because it doesn't have an immediate or memorable melody line or hook that could be universally translatable. I understand and empathise but you have to remember RDJ has a very avant-garde taste in music, just look at some of the shit Rephlex has put out in recent years, Pierre Bastien, Victor De Gama, Radiophonic Workshop. I think in recent years he has moved away from the simple 4 bar aphex melodies we have come to love and dipped his toes further into experimentation and obtuseness. It doesn't mean the music is crappier per se.

It reminds me of a Squarepusher interview where in reference to Music Is Rotted... he says that it is very easy to get people to like your music if you use appealing and pleasurable melodies, when you take that away to limit yourself things become more interesting.

I disagree with joshier on most everything, but GX-1 Solo is really just some S&H Noodling. The only thing that makes it at all noteworthy is the (supposed) GX-1 instrumentation.

ok, I'd first like to ask who likes this kind of old, retro music..

For me, there's nothing worse than being stuck in the 70's and having only synthesizers and analogue drum machines making the samples, so you can start to understand why I dislike the analord series so much.

yeah i agree - its like how all classical music is rubbish cause they only have a few instruments and no awesome VST fx

Analord to me, is quite simply the same concept as you would see in day to day life, where people have a low self esteem, so in their best hopes they rise up the corporate ladder to buy some flash car and feel good about their selves and laugh at others to make them feel better.... the kind of situation where the actual car - being very expensive - doesn't make the driver a good one.. in fact, it makes him worse - with this new boost of confidence in him/her, they are able to make decisions faster without taking into account many of the normal factors they would usually take in.

This of course results in some flashy looking car, a terrible driver who doesn't give way, and practically fucks everyone off, including pedestrians, but is able to still make people go 'Wow, look at that beautiful car!'

C: Nonsense In Basic

I'm a loyal aphex twin fan, but I'm not some brain dead fuck wit who bows down to him sucking his cock after he's just been fucking some guy in the ass.

If it's shit music, it's shit music.

you're trying too hard here

and

it's not shit music

What led me to him in the first place was his skill, a genuine love for making music, and breaking new grounds in the electronic scene.

This new material isn't breaking any boundaries, it's not even pushing them slightly, it's staying well put and even going back in time some 10 years.

I'll watch all the deluded fan boys swarm around and convince their selves that it's good music, constantly reassuring their peers that they "enjoy it", rather, they are making their selves believe they enjoy it so they do.

you total fucking prick

Look back fan boys, what got you into aphex in the first place?.. was it because of his analord series?.. or EP's/LP's like Drukqs, Window licker and Come to daddy?

selected ambient works 1

Why did he make the tracks out of shit sounding samples?

oh dear

I really still find it hard to believe it's richard d james. - the man who gave us drukqs, window licker and come to daddy.

and selected ambient works 1&2 and UI and analogue bubblebath and polygon window etc

how old would you have been then....2 or 3?

gx-1 solo is really similar to midi evil rave

on the first hand you can say these kind of tracks are shit music but if you listen more often is a real great disharmonic stuff that was made intentionally in this way that you at first dont like it but then grows on you

Guest joshier

I know, I saw that interview too.

I think you have a good point, but that's not to say I agree with it on this example... I really don't think GX-1 solo is special in any way.. I see no element that makes me feel 'yeah, this guy put some work into this'..

Obviously the equipment side was pretty hard.. I wouldn't know where the fuck to get a GX-1, and to afford one is a whole other matter.. but again, I'm not some geek who is impressed by the equipment he is using.. it's how he is using it, and in GX-1, there's nothing special from what I can see..

Maybe I'm blind?.. who knows... I've always thought I'm pretty open minded with stuff like that.. I like a lot of autechre, and most people can't even listen to that.

Guest joshier
ok, I'd first like to ask who likes this kind of old, retro music..

For me, there's nothing worse than being stuck in the 70's and having only synthesizers and analogue drum machines making the samples, so you can start to understand why I dislike the analord series so much.

yeah i agree - its like how all classical music is rubbish cause they only have a few instruments and no awesome VST fx

Analord to me, is quite simply the same concept as you would see in day to day life, where people have a low self esteem, so in their best hopes they rise up the corporate ladder to buy some flash car and feel good about their selves and laugh at others to make them feel better.... the kind of situation where the actual car - being very expensive - doesn't make the driver a good one.. in fact, it makes him worse - with this new boost of confidence in him/her, they are able to make decisions faster without taking into account many of the normal factors they would usually take in.

This of course results in some flashy looking car, a terrible driver who doesn't give way, and practically fucks everyone off, including pedestrians, but is able to still make people go 'Wow, look at that beautiful car!'

C: Nonsense In Basic

I'm a loyal aphex twin fan, but I'm not some brain dead fuck wit who bows down to him sucking his cock after he's just been fucking some guy in the ass.

If it's shit music, it's shit music.

you're trying too hard here

and

it's not shit music

What led me to him in the first place was his skill, a genuine love for making music, and breaking new grounds in the electronic scene.

This new material isn't breaking any boundaries, it's not even pushing them slightly, it's staying well put and even going back in time some 10 years.

I'll watch all the deluded fan boys swarm around and convince their selves that it's good music, constantly reassuring their peers that they "enjoy it", rather, they are making their selves believe they enjoy it so they do.

you total fucking prick

Look back fan boys, what got you into aphex in the first place?.. was it because of his analord series?.. or EP's/LP's like Drukqs, Window licker and Come to daddy?

selected ambient works 1

Why did he make the tracks out of shit sounding samples?

oh dear

I really still find it hard to believe it's richard d james. - the man who gave us drukqs, window licker and come to daddy.

and selected ambient works 1&2 and UI and analogue bubblebath and polygon window etc

how old would you have been then....2 or 3?

I can't be bothered to quote individually.. (see my reply above also).. but as you point about classical music.. - I don't mind if the instruments are being used in a good genuine, talented way.. but for example, GX-1 solo doesn't stand out as being a hard piece to make.

you total fucking prick

Hmm, that's nice and intelligent to stick into a discussion.

selected ambient works 1
Believe it or not, I do like that album, and the one that follows it, It's ambient emotional simplistic music.. I can relate to that.. again, in my above reply I might not be just 'getting' it.. I'd like someone to help me 'get it' if they can be kind enough to.

Guest tv_party

It's funny how involved and emotional these arguments get, like you've been betrayed by your girlfriend or something.

Throw in an (un)healthy dose of envy. re: gx-1.

The most intelligent way to discuss this is not at all (at least in this manner), for your own sake. It reflects poorly.

Guest joshier
It's funny how involved and emotional these arguments get, like you've been betrayed by your girlfriend or something.

Throw in an (un)healthy dose of envy. re: gx-1.

The most intelligent way to discuss this is not at all (at least in this manner), for your own sake. It reflects poorly.

We discuss everything else he releases, why not this one?

Guest Romhotep
Believe it or not, I do like that album, and the one that follows it, It's ambient emotional simplistic music.. I can relate to that.. again, in my above reply I might not be just 'getting' it.. I'd like someone to help me 'get it' if they can be kind enough to.

The point of minimalist works isn't to be emotional. For one it has to do with the ideas of commodity art and reductionism. Quit failing.

Guest joshier

The point of minimalist works isn't to be emotional. For one it has to do with the ideas of commodity art and reductionism. Quit failing.

what?.. lol, what is up with you?.. Where did you get the idea that I think simple music has to be emotional?.. I said it's ambient emotional simplistic music, not emotional because it is simplistic.

Guest Romhotep

what?.. lol, what is up with you?.. Where did you get the idea that I think simple music has to be emotional?.. I said it's ambient emotional simplistic music, not emotional because it is simplistic.

Well, you defined those albums as "ambient emotional simplistic music," thereby indicating for you to appreciate them artistically they had to be all of those things, since you have lumped those attributes into a unified collective. Because let's face it, everything you've said, at least according to yourself, is that this is a discussion of a work's artistic merits, not whethere or not just you like them. You liking them is an indication of a work's artistic merit, according to what you have said, because apparently anything you do not like does not have merit. Thus by your expounding of why you like those albums, you are proving why they have this merit.

That said, quit failing, and go back to sucking daddy's shit covered dick.

Guest joshier

Well, you defined those albums as "ambient emotional simplistic music," thereby indicating for you to appreciate them artistically they had to be all of those things, since you have lumped those attributes into a unified collective. Because let's face it, everything you've said, at least according to yourself, is that this is a discussion of a work's artistic merits, not whethere or not just you like them. You liking them is an indication of a work's artistic merit, according to what you have said, because apparently anything you do not like does not have merit. Thus by your expounding of why you like those albums, you are proving why they have this merit.

That said, quit failing, and go back to sucking daddy's shit covered dick.

You're over complicating things man, lol.

It's funny to read what you just said, but fuck that if you think I'm actually going to give you a reply to your babble.

what did you expect?

obviously i'm just a 'deluded fanboy' and i used up all my brains trying to 'convince myself' i 'enjoy' analord.

i read with interest how you only got into autechre because everyone kept saying they were good.

'enjoy' the new chemical brothers album.

Guest joshier

what did you expect?

obviously i'm just a 'deluded fanboy' and i used up all my brains trying to 'convince myself' i 'enjoy' analord.

i read with interest how you only got into autechre because everyone kept saying they were good.

'enjoy' the new chemical brothers album.

the new chems album is not out yet.. autechre I got into from hearing a wide range of their stuff.. it wasn't just a few tracks I kept listening to.

I didn't target you specifically did I?.. no.

I enjoy a few analord tracks, but they are really nowhere near the skill level as aphex's other stuff.

Archived