IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

Just started Bucky Fuller's short "Manual for Spaceship Earth"

link if you want it: http://classes.dma.u...ting-manual.pdf

Bucky was a smart guy, but holy hell does he ramble on incomprehensibly sometimes.

"All the system's paths must be

topologically and circularly interrelated for conceptually definitive,

locally transformable, polyhedronal understanding to be attained in

our spontaneous-ergo, most economical- geodesicly structured

thoughts.

Thinking itself consists of self-disciplined dismissal of both the

macrocosmic and microcosmic irrelevancies which leaves only the

lucidly-relevant considerations. The macrocosmic irrelevancies are

all the events too large and too infrequent to be synchronizably

tuneable in any possible way with our consideration (a beautiful

word meaning putting stars together). The microcosmic

irrelevancies are all the events which are obviously too small and

too frequent to be differentially resolved in any way or to be

synchronizably-tuneable within the lucidly-relevant wave-frequency

limits of the system we are considering."

ah yes. Now I understand.

"i would bow down before just one--

one who bows before none.

i should know who that one might be who could do that to me

i am that one

and i bow down before me

since the hunter is the hunted, surely he knows what it is to lift an ecsatic dread

to some uncoming hunter's tread

such and such as the star that filters through the starry blue alone

a burning star turning in an orbit all of its own

such and such as i

beasts are always/were always trailblazing engineers

modern engineering would do well to do as well today

as well as beasts have done

if on this rock i stand alone

loneliness will turn heel, as he turns to stone

each today is yesterday's tomorrow, which is now

now is all i have

now is all i need

now is all i want

now

better i go, when you would that i stay, that i stay on,

than stay, when you would that i would go

better i go than stay

ebb and flow of the ocean

love and hate of emotion

nothing lasts, is my refrain

as the moon and my feelings wax and wane

i remain calm." - excerpt from Moondog's Monologue

http://bipbopmusic.blogspot.com/2010/11/moondog-monologue.html

Guest Iain C
The Canterbury Tales-Chaucer.

Taking me an age to read because I feel I must read it in middle english,which is only fun when you read it out loud.

It's true, middle English is the way to go. I bought a good interlinear translation earlier this year which was a smart move.

The Canterbury Tales-Chaucer.

Taking me an age to read because I feel I must read it in middle english,which is only fun when you read it out loud.

It's true, middle English is the way to go. I bought a good interlinear translation earlier this year which was a smart move.

Iain,I do believe that you're one of the most perfect men I've never met.

Man's Search for Meaning

That's a seriously good book.

I read it years ago and it had a massive impact on me.

The depths that humans go to to inflict pain and misery on one another are unfathomable.

Borges, Dunsany, Blackwood, Poe and Lovecraft.

Yeah, I read through the complete works of both Poe and Lovecraft a few years ago. Also I've been reading a lot of Arthur Machen lately, which is kind of similar. But I have to check Borges and Blackwood. Thanks for the recommendation. :beer:

Anyway, I've been a Lovecraft fan since age 13 so I had already read about 95% of the stories he had written before I started my project, but it was fun to read the whole body of work in a chronological order. You can see him developing as a writer because to be honest the early stuff is pretty bad but the good stuff starts to appear slowly at first around the time of The Music of Erich Zann and then after Herbert West it just kicks up a notch and from Call of Cthulhu forward it's just pure gold.

Borges, Dunsany, Blackwood, Poe and Lovecraft.

Yeah, I read through the complete works of both Poe and Lovecraft a few years ago. Also I've been reading a lot of Arthur Machen lately, which is kind of similar. But I have to check Borges and Blackwood. Thanks for the recommendation. :beer:

Anyway, I've been a Lovecraft fan since age 13 so I had already read about 95% of the stories he had written before I started my project, but it was fun to read the whole body of work in a chronological order. You can see him developing as a writer because to be honest the early stuff is pretty bad but the good stuff starts to appear slowly at first around the time of The Music of Erich Zann and then after Herbert West it just kicks up a notch and from Call of Cthulhu forward it's just pure gold.

i've never tried reading all of Lovecraft's stuff in chronological order, i bet that was an interesting undertaking. did you include the poetry? i don't think he did much poetry at all once he started writing short stories regularly, but i'm not 100% sure on that.

i've only dabbled in Poe's works, but i've enjoyed the little i've read. i've also been getting into Machen and Blackwood. Blackwood's 'The Willows' is a good starting place i'd say. it's a very well written creepy tale.

Lord Dunsany is a bad-ass -- thank you guys for bringing him to my attention. Downloaded a collection of 51 Dunsany stories for free on the kindle, read a handful of them this morning. Love it so far.

project gutenberg, so much great old materials there.

My suggestion to all of is read James Branch Cabell's Jurgen....

It should blow your mind or at least expand it a bit.

just obtained a collection of Aleister Crowley's Simon Iff short stories...I love Moonchild, so we shall see how he is with the other tales of Simple Simon.

also a first edition of Sturgeon's More Than Human. Fantastic, wonderful novel that you all should read.

Guest Iain C

Got a copy of this in a charity shop the other day:

House_on_the_borderland_first.jpg

Looking forward to getting into it, especially because there was an awesome, cavernous comic/record shop in Peterborough named after it, now sadly defunct.

Right now I'm rereading Beckett, Molloy.

i've never tried reading all of Lovecraft's stuff in chronological order, i bet that was an interesting undertaking. did you include the poetry? i don't think he did much poetry at all once he started writing short stories regularly, but i'm not 100% sure on that.

i've only dabbled in Poe's works, but i've enjoyed the little i've read. i've also been getting into Machen and Blackwood. Blackwood's 'The Willows' is a good starting place i'd say. it's a very well written creepy tale.

I only read the stories and the Fungi from Yuggoth which is pretty bad-ass poetry. :biggrin: You can read it in full in here for example.

My favorite Poe story is probably the Tell-tale Heart. The mood and the insanity are just perfect. :spiteful:

I found the 1Q84 trilogy put together in a neat "little" book, and I remember some vaguely positive post about it in this very thread so I purchased it. Just a few chapters in so we'll see how good it is.

"If not now, when?" by Primo Levi. 3 chapters in. picked this up from the bookshelf on a whim. absolutely glad i did. wasn't expecting too much. effortlessly readable. immediate empathy with the central characters. beautifully written. some of the most evocative descriptive storytelling i've ever come across.

Guest Iain C

Just had a mad urge to read an Iris Murdoch novel, so I ordered The Sea, The Sea from Amazon. £2.61 delivered. Amazon do it again!

I've actually read very few of her novels but I thought The Bell was brilliant. An Unofficial Rose not so much. But I'm expecting good things from this one.

Iain, sometime you should check out Canetti's "Part in the Blitz" for his devastating comments about Iris Murdoch. More of a literary curiosity really but all the same worth reading, nothing like a bit of harsh high brow gossip! I'm not a fan of hers and had the pleasure of relishing a bit in his tales about her, so perhaps I'm a bit biased...

Currently on a picaresque binge: now reading Smollet's Adventures of Roderick Random after having read Gil Blas, Tome Jones, and Larazillo des Tormes. Great stuff! I recommend them all.