IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

I seriously cannot even watch The Plague Dogs

actually it is pretty boring, but the message is exceptional

That's basically how I feel about the book.

have any of you guys read Neal Stephenson? is he good?

A) Yes

B) Yes

Anathem is probably my favorite SF novel, ever.

Edited by baph

nikolai-gogols-overcoat-selected-stories-special-edition-vasilievich-gogol-paperback-cover-art.jpg

just finished the long overlooked short story the overcoat, and I'm amazed by the number of possible interpretations that you can give to this book. really felt like I leveled up after i read it.

tumblr_le3de5Qxcf1qzb1rlo1_400.jpg

also tartar steppe just entered my top 2 existentialist books of all time, and I am very curious if anyone else read it too and also of their opinions about it.

Edited by huzur

finished The Gone-Away World, and read The Call of Cthulhu after that, really enjoyed both. I have a set of Lovecraft short stories, but I'm not sure what of his to read next.

Guest Ron Manager

Economic History is mostly about as exciting as watching paint dry.

Hmm, sometimes maybe, other times I find it quite interesting and compelling. Looking at economic explanations for the end of the Roman empire (in the West), for instance, can be fruitful, and certainly provides a useful counterfoil to some of the more traditional arguments (e.g. blaming it on Christianity or barbarians).

Dashiell Hammett - Crime Stories & Other Writings

At first I didn't like these stories compared to the Raymond Chandler detective novels I've read, because they are more straight-forward and don't have as much of the dependence on shady characters, gritty scene descriptions and all those things that became central to noir. Eventually the more realistic and matter-of-fact style grew on me and now it's my current favorite book.

read The Call of Cthulhu after that, really enjoyed both. I have a set of Lovecraft short stories, but I'm not sure what of his to read next.

everything.

um The Dunwich Horror is good. At the Mountains of Madness is his 'novel' so to speak, and it is pretty good. the 'fantasy' tales (Dream-Quest of Unknown Cadath, The Silver Key, etc.) are interesting when read together as well, but definitely not along the horror/cosmic terror lines of Call of Cthulhu.

or tell me what you liked and didn't like about CoC and/or what sort of Lovecraft you'd like to read next and i (and likely others here!) will be glad to steer you the right direction.

read The Call of Cthulhu after that, really enjoyed both. I have a set of Lovecraft short stories, but I'm not sure what of his to read next.

I'd also recommend the Dunwich Horror and Mountains of Madness and also The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, Colour Out of Space, The Whisperer in the Darkness, The Shadow over Innsmouth and Shadow Out of Time for more cosmic horror.

oh great! new books to my library then :) thanks! planning to buy The Diamon Age and that one too

Didn't see your response.

The Diamond Age is wonderful. "Everyone" "hates" the abrupt ending, but half of that has to do with how fun the book is. It's probably better than Snow Crash, although he's most famous for Snow Crash. The Diamond Age is also probably a better place to start than Anathem, which is pretty brilliant, but not quite as immediately engaging and funny.

I think his latest novel, Reamde, was a bit of a disappointment after Anathem. It's basically a fun, better written, thousand page Tom Clancy esque shoot out, with typical geeky moments that fail to get the in depth tangential exploration that he's known for. It's not bad, but it falls far short of the mark, imo. His Cryptonomicon does the same kind of thing re: "technothrillers" but does it better, without stereotypical Islamic terrorists, and with lengthy digressions on Cap'n Crunch cereal and masturbation.

If you end up liking what you've got, definitely give Cryptonomicon a go. I adored the "Baroque Cycle" follow-ups/prequels to Cryptonomicon (Quicksilver, The Confusion, The System of the World), but they seem to be a little divisive.

Stephenson's pre-Snow Crash books are probably only worth checking out if you're a confirmed fan.

He's probably my favorite popular fiction writer, and I don't like a lot of them.

Edited by baph

I'd also recommend the Dunwich Horror and Mountains of Madness and also The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, Colour Out of Space, The Whisperer in the Darkness, The Shadow over Innsmouth and Shadow Out of Time for more cosmic horror.

I've only read At the Mountains of Madness and The Case of Charles Dexter Ward so far, and I preferred Dexter Ward by a mile. For my taste, Mountains read too much like a Jules Verne story where there's tons and tons of focus on describing mundane details down to a microscopic level, trying to be 'scientifically accurate'. Which, serves a purpose, but it just doesn't ring my bell and felt like a chore to read. And the things that are being described just get super repetitive.. Dexter Ward was awesome though because of the actual story in it. just my 2 cents

baph, I've definitely noticed similarities between your posting style and Stephenson's writing style. did I say that already? I meant to say it before

I'm guessing you probably mean that my posts are overlong, digressive, and self-indulgent, but I'll take it instead as a huge and undeserved compliment, and also I will be totally self-conscious about whether I'm unconsciously but blatantly imitating Stephenson on here now :emotawesomepm9:

:abrupt ending:

Edited by baph

Guest Ron Manager

Finally finished Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. Seems to be a love/hate book for most people. Unfortunately I'm the latter - while interesting, it was dreadfully written. Basically unreadable. Can't imagine many others here will have read it though, so won't go into it.

While struggling through Wolf Hall I read Amsterdam by Ian McEwan. Also terrible and boring. Both of these books won the Man Booker Prize. Why? God knows.

Anyway, now reading Kafka on the Shore by Murakami. He's tended to be a safe pair of hands for me, and this one sounds interesting.

Economic History is mostly about as exciting as watching paint dry.

Hmm, sometimes maybe, other times I find it quite interesting and compelling. Looking at economic explanations for the end of the Roman empire (in the West), for instance, can be fruitful, and certainly provides a useful counterfoil to some of the more traditional arguments (e.g. blaming it on Christianity or barbarians).

Personally, I find a lot of European Economic Histories, especially those written by Europeans, to be tedious, racist, and startlingly ignorant of a lot of world history. Also the desire for neo-classical economists to apply market principles to everything is slightly maddening. Because a lot of the times, it was not a goddamned market that drove economics! Also Niall Ferguson should stick to reporting about straight history and leave economic analysis alone, and he really needs to get over the loss of the British Empire, lol.

oh great! new books to my library then :) thanks! planning to buy The Diamon Age and that one too

Didn't see your response.

The Diamond Age is wonderful. "Everyone" "hates" the abrupt ending, but half of that has to do with how fun the book is. It's probably better than Snow Crash, although he's most famous for Snow Crash. The Diamond Age is also probably a better place to start than Anathem, which is pretty brilliant, but not quite as immediately engaging and funny.

I think his latest novel, Reamde, was a bit of a disappointment after Anathem. It's basically a fun, better written, thousand page Tom Clancy esque shoot out, with typical geeky moments that fail to get the in depth tangential exploration that he's known for. It's not bad, but it falls far short of the mark, imo. His Cryptonomicon does the same kind of thing re: "technothrillers" but does it better, without stereotypical Islamic terrorists, and with lengthy digressions on Cap'n Crunch cereal and masturbation.

If you end up liking what you've got, definitely give Cryptonomicon a go. I adored the "Baroque Cycle" follow-ups/prequels to Cryptonomicon (Quicksilver, The Confusion, The System of the World), but they seem to be a little divisive.

Stephenson's pre-Snow Crash books are probably only worth checking out if you're a confirmed fan.

He's probably my favorite popular fiction writer, and I don't like a lot of them.

Spot on response. I've read the Baroque Cycle three times, and plan t pick it up again in the new year. Reamde was such an easy read after Anathem. Enjoyable though!