IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

did anyone read under the dome? tv show starting soon based on it

Oh really? I fear it will be awful, as all most SK adaptions are.

The book was great, very entertaining and suitably epic near the end:

As far as I remember he hadn't killed off that many characters in one fell swoop for a while.

Guest Iain C

Leafing through the book of Matthew from the New Testament in the original Greek, and I'm impressed at how much I can understand given I've only been learning the language for a few months. With enough glossing it's actually fairly intelligible. Like many religious texts it's quite repetitive and uses a limited vocabulary. It's great though. Fuck all atheists.

Fuck all atheists.

good fuck or bad fuck

need 2 know how to prepare myself for this

Us atheists are the best fucks. We do all the dirty shit that's not allowed by religions.

Guest Iain C

Fuck all atheists.

good fuck or bad fuck

Us atheists are the best fucks. We do all the dirty shit that's not allowed by religions.

Haha if you only knew. You atheists are just like Protestants in so many ways, including a characteristic porridge-scoffing sexual inadequacy. You are austere, self-flagellating, and to a man rubbish in bed. Iconoclasm is anti-sex. And you will never know the true carnal pleasures known to Catholics, Muslims and other people who are actually able to unite the spiritual and the physical.

Fuck all atheists.

good fuck or bad fuck

Haha if you only knew. You atheists are just like Protestants in so many ways, including a characteristic porridge-scoffing sexual inadequacy. You are austere, self-flagellating, and to a man rubbish in bed. Iconoclasm is anti-sex. And you will never know the true carnal pleasures known to Catholics, Muslims and other people who are actually able to unite the spiritual and the physical.

Do you believe in Bigfoot too?

of course he doesn't, bigfoot is the athiest monster of them all

NR: Asimov "Understanding Physics vol. 1-3." Great explanations, occasional rejected theory still in the text, overall good read so far.

Guest Iain C

Fuck all atheists.

good fuck or bad fuck

I believe in a big foot grinding atheist skulls against holy curbs so yeah, I suppose I do believe in bigfoot you fucking mug.

Fuck all atheists.

good fuck or bad fuck

I believe in a big foot grinding atheist skulls against holy curbs so yeah, I suppose I do believe in bigfoot you fucking mug.

number one cause of death among atheists. at least since the church gave up publicly burning them at the stake....we're looking into the idea that bigfoots are controlled by the church actually. do you have any information on that?

Fuck all atheists.

good fuck or bad fuck

How come hardly any Christians seem to act (or even try to act) Christ-like? Always been curious why the walk almost never matches the talk, especially in light of all the lofty moral claims.

Best book by Carl Sagan and Stephen Hawking? Since child I've always wanted to read something about them but my interest went fully to the brain, but I want to regain my passion for space and the universe.

Best book by Carl Sagan and Stephen Hawking? Since child I've always wanted to read something about them but my interest went fully to the brain, but I want to regain my passion for space and the universe.

Sagan - Cosmos is most certainly a classic. Hawking - The Universe in a Nutshell is basically a classic at this point as well. Both nonfiction, but well written enough to keep most interested.

A Stranger in Tibet: The Adventures of a Wandering Zen Monk

51L0UUO3DyL._SY300_.jpg

It's about a Japanese zen monk called Ekai Kawaguchi who in 1897 decides to got Tibet to search for Buddhists texts because he thinks the Chinese translations in Japan are not good enough. The guy is absolutely hell bent on getting to the scriptures. Tibet and Nepal were both closed from foreigners at the time and he learns the local languages by talking to children and women in the street, is robbed, is deserted by his guides, etc. He was also the first Japanese person to visit Tibet and Nepal.

From the Wikipedia:

He left Japan for India in June, 1897, without a guide or map, simply buying his way onto a cargo boat. He had a smattering of English but did not know a word of Hindi or Tibetan. Also, he had no money, having refused the donations of his friends; instead, he made several fishmonger and butcher friends pledge to give up their professions forever and become vegetarian, claiming that the good karma would ensure his success

From the book:

He had spent the entire previous year in disguise in culturally TIbetan village called Tsarang in the little-known semi-independent kingdom of Lo, between Nepal and Tibet, and there at an altitude of nearly twelve thousand feet had kept himself in shape by running up and down mountainsides with a load of rocks on his back (the villagers, who at this point took him for a Chinese monk from Lhasa, thought this was some sort of mortification of the flesh). After two and a half years of hard study he spoke Tibetan well enough to pass as a native if he had to, had learned to live without bathing for months on end, and was confident of his health and physical strength.

It's a really fascinating book and gives a lot of background on Tibet and Tibetan Buddhism also.

The Corner: A Year In The Life Of An Inner City Neighborhood by David Simon and Edward Burns

Picked it up from the library because I'm watching The Wire right now.

The Corner: A Year In The Life Of An Inner City Neighborhood by David Simon and Edward Burns

Get Homicide too.

Get Homicide too.

If you're enjoying this definitely check out In Search of Respect by Philippe Bourgois. It's a sociological study of a really deprived Harlem neighbourhood and the drug culture there, it's pretty eye-opening.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/In-Search-Respect-Structural-Analysis/dp/0521017114

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

I started reading under the dome by stephen king. it's a page turner, mostly because I want to know what the dome is.

Get Homicide too.

If you're enjoying this definitely check out In Search of Respect by Philippe Bourgois. It's a sociological study of a really deprived Harlem neighbourhood and the drug culture there, it's pretty eye-opening.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/In-Search-Respect-Structural-Analysis/dp/0521017114

Thanks, I'll check out both of those. The documentary The House I Live In is what got me started on all of this.

I've just begun rereading Perdido Street Station by China Mieville, it's an absolute beaut of a steampunk/fantasy/gonzo adventure. I've also been reading a lot about ancient Egypt, something I used to be absolutely nuts about as a kid. History is awesome.

Reading Slaughter House Five again, last time i read it i was in junior high so im definitely picking up a lot more than my first first read. Completely forgot what the unifying point of the book is, it sometimes seems like there is no point