IGNORED

Now Reading

Guest The Vidiot

I just finished A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, and I think it's easily my favorite book that I've read. I don't recall reading anything else with such a unique writing style. Now, onto Ulysses.

Also, I drafted up a list of thirteen books that I want to read sometime in the near future. Highest on the list are Kierkegaard's Either/Or, Stirner's The Ego and His Own, and of course Ulysses.

Edited by drillkicker

Just finished ballard's high rise. Surreal and violent and I love how all the building inhabitants just give themselves freely, unquestioningly, to the madness.

Fuck yeah, I would have got involved with that shit too, can't wait for the film.

just finished Tolstoy - Resurrection (10/10), just started reading Dostoyevsky - the Brothers Karamazov

really love Russian authors: Turgenev, Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky are the ones I've read so far

Edited by Berk

just finished Tolstoy - Resurrection (10/10), just started reading Dostoyevsky - the Brothers Karamazov

really love Russian authors: Turgenev, Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky are the ones I've read so far

have u tried Cancer Ward?

so eloquent, but still a dense, brilliant, shocking novel

have u tried Cancer Ward?

so eloquent, but still a dense, brilliant, shocking novel

No I haven't yet, will check, thx!

I've been reading Ulysses for nearly a week now and I am on page 48, out of 732 pages. This is way more than what I was prepared for, and I love it.

Read it once, but might need to re-visit again. I liked it, but I am sure a lot went over my head. Didn't find it too difficult. It's a pretty banal story in the end. Or then I'll read some other work byy Joyce. Like Finnegan's Wake.

I've been reading Ulysses for nearly a week now and I am on page 48, out of 732 pages. This is way more than what I was prepared for, and I love it.

Read it once, but might need to re-visit again. I liked it, but I am sure a lot went over my head. Didn't find it too difficult. It's a pretty banal story in the end. Or then I'll read some other work byy Joyce. Like Finnegan's Wake.

I don't think the story is very important in the book, it's more about the way the story is told, which is really interesting. I can understand that Joyce really isn't for everyone, but I'm really digging his writing style. The edition I have contains notes in the appendices that explain all of the different allusions in the story, so it's taking a long time to get through. It's worth it, though, for the extra understanding that that adds.

Just out of curiosity, did you read A Portrait of the Artist… first, or not? If not, then there are a lot of parts that probably didn't make sense to you, so it would be worth going back and reading both of them just for that.

so much of Joyce is the Dublin lingo & twang.....i spent month after month visiting family in Eire as a kid and teenager, it was only after slowing down my reading that some of the sayings you hear around the streets of Dublin started creeping through the text phonetically

About to start on Robert Heinlein's ''Stranger in a Strange Land''. I don't read enough books and the ones that I do read are usually sci-fi. Watching the film Predestination was to me a sharp reminder how good Heinlein's ideas & concepts are, the ultimate mindfuck. And that was only a short story in a pulp magazine back in '59!

so much of Joyce is the Dublin lingo & twang.....i spent month after month visiting family in Eire as a kid and teenager, it was only after slowing down my reading that some of the sayings you hear around the streets of Dublin started creeping through the text phonetically

I can second this. Even a lot of the references to Orange marches, say, and figures like Parnell, probably go over a lot of folks' heads unless you're into Irish history and culture.

Those things would probably go over my head if it weren't for the explanatory notes in the appendices. They really help a lot. Parnell is sort of a universal Joyce thing, though, so that one didn't slip by me the second time he used his death in his writings.

Read yesterday....

iQQeIeB.jpg

Cartoonist Sam Zabel hasn’t drawn a comic in years. Stuck in a nightmare of creative block and despair, Sam spends his days writing superhero stories for a large American comics publisher and staring at a blank piece of paper, unable to draw a single line. Then one day he finds a mysterious old comic book set on Mars and is suddenly thrown headlong into a wild, fantastic journey through centuries of comics, stories, and imaginary worlds. Accompanied by a young webcomic creator named Alice and an enigmatic schoolgirl with rocket boots and a bag full of comics, Sam goes in search of the Magic Pen, encountering sex-crazed aliens, medieval monks, pirates, pixies and ― of course ― cartoonists. Funny, erotic, and thoughtful, Sam Zabel and the Magic Pen explores the pleasures, dangers, and moral consequences of fantasy.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently 2/3rds of the way through A Romance With Cocaine (also called Novel With Cocaine) by "M. Ageyev" (a false name).

The mystery about the author and subject really interested me, but it's pretty boring. The first section is kind of an early, russian Catcher in the Rye, except the character is just plainly an asshole. He spends the second section boning a married woman, and has only just came in contact with any cocaine in the third section.

Edited by QQQ

^That's a really good comic. Have you ever read Fell by Warren Ellis and Ben Templesmith? That's also p creepy.

I had to restart Authority by Jeff Vandermeer after putting it down for so long. Also reading a bunch of books about teaching and literary theory for dummies.

^That's a really good comic. Have you ever read Fell by Warren Ellis and Ben Templesmith? That's also p creepy.

I had to restart Authority by Jeff Vandermeer after putting it down for so long. Also reading a bunch of books about teaching and literary theory for dummies.

Yup, picked it up on a recommendation from here actually! Really enjoyed it but breaks my heart that there hasn't been a second volume.

Wytches by Scott Snyder, never been really creeped out by a graphic novel before but this one is doing the business.

ta for this Mr Tec, not really a graphic novel fan since Arkham Asylum (sp?), but this is heaviness. Its so subtle and visceral at the same time and really bores into subconscious/parental fear buttons with the skill of a psych-surgeon and the imagery/story to underpin it all. Sorted 2 problem xmas-wank presents too.

its truly been a benevolent universe today, strewth Ruth & tips cap

Just started Fifteen Dogs by André Alexis and oh my I think I'm really going to enjoy it.

It's about fifteen dogs (duh) given human sentience by two Gods due to a wager, the wager being one of them will be happier than humans after a year has passed.

Sounds like it was a big deal in Canada but it's only just come this way in England. The book is less weird than the premise sounds.

Wytches by Scott Snyder, never been really creeped out by a graphic novel before but this one is doing the business.

ta for this Mr Tec, not really a graphic novel fan since Arkham Asylum (sp?), but this is heaviness. Its so subtle and visceral at the same time and really bores into subconscious/parental fear buttons with the skill of a psych-surgeon and the imagery/story to underpin it all. Sorted 2 problem xmas-wank presents too.

its truly been a benevolent universe today, strewth Ruth & tips cap

Awesome, glad to hear it mate.