IGNORED

first time aphex expierence

Guest Calx Sherbet

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"On" and "Artificial Intelligence" ( The Dice Man ) in 93 or 94.

I was at a friend's house and he played them for me. I borrowed them from him and still have both of them.

Guest tronicphace

I was in a Zia Records store in 1996 in Phoenix, AZ, looking at all the different death metal and alternative music they had there. Then they started playing Aphex Twin 'On', and I stopped dead in my tracks and just kinda looked up at the speaker while it was playing. I could tell people were staring at me, but I didn't care. I went and immediately purchased the CD.

Guest HokusPoker

Hey, why not open a "first time aphex" thread? We haven't had one this month.

Hey, why not answer anyway?

The first track I heard must have been 4 after I had "bought" RDJ Album on a strange site in Russia for 1.5 Euro or so (now I have it physically), and I wasn't really impressed because it was too much for me although I could see that it was good (I'd been listening to Eminem for 5 years or so - and NOTHING else).

On the train some months later I gave it another listen, and there it was....FINGERBIB.

My love.

I listened to it and listened to it and listened to it and liked it a lot, and I still do. It was a fresh breeze through my dusty head.

Some days later I got into 4 while sitting in the gym and listening to music while not being able to participate due to having forgotten my gym bag, and from then on, it grew and grew.

So I haven't had this one "BAAAAANG, THIS IS IT, WHAT IS IT??!?!?!" moment, and I think I've missed something.

Thank you for your attention.....bye.

Guest Ultravisitor

flim

on a compilation my brother made back in 2003.

i then went on to hear come to daddy ep. then bought rdj and saw 2.

the bus journey home from that trip was fantastic.

Around 2000 a friend showed me the Windowlicker video. I wasn't into it too much, but it I knew that there was something special there that I hadn't hear before. So I went and downloaded a whole bunch of stuff -- oh man, when I heard Girl/Boy Song I almost freaked out. About a month later on a school field trip to Washington DC I picked up SAW85-92 & the Windowlicker single (along with Tiesto - Summerbreeze and Junkie XL - Computer Hell Cabin... lol!) for the bus ride home. ^^

Guest babyhands
come to daddy in the cky2k video

Same here man. I heard Come to Daddy in that video and had to track it down asap. I dl'ed a couple AFX tracks off Napster and that's where it all began. X'tal was the next song that reeled me in.

imperial march club from the aphex twins was what drew me in, and to this day I still have no idea who the hell the aphex twins are

Guest Speedplay

SAW1. Was during winter around christmas and I was switching between watching Closure (the NIN tour documentary) and SAW. Ageispolis was probs the first track that catched my attention.

Guest assegai

Friend popped out my nirvana cd and popped in come to daddy; back in 97. The rest is history.

Guest Dogboy73

Analogue Bubblebath volume 1 on Mighty Force records around 1990/91 I think (anyone want to buy this off me?). It was Hardcore but not as we know it, Jim. there was an ambient-ish track on there that just blew everyone away. The other stuff was crazy but a little to out there for us at the time. It stood out a country mile though & that was Aphex's specialitiy. He came along & gave Techno a good old kick up the ass.

Guest Blyz Castl

Mine was when I bought the Chris Cunningham DVD, and watched his 2 videos on it. Later on I investigated his other music, and here I am. :aphexsign:

Guest Globe

Hi all, first post! :yeah:

I can never quite remember which was first as I bought both in 1993 but it was either "Surfing On Sine Waves' or SAW. 1993 and 1994 for me were all about Aphex Twin, The Orb, The Black Dog, Orbital and the first couple of Trance Europe Express Compilations among many others... two great years :)

Guest AOOproductions

watching the come to daddy video was my first time. The drum programming blew my f-ing mind. and then when I heard other stuff from HAB and RDJ album or basically CTD drumming styles used in 10X more original ways, I was like WTF is this shit!!!!!!! Then I heard squarepusher and more crazy shit and I was like freaked out by this strange new world. I have to admit, some of the music has become some of a novelty to me over time. But every once in a while I listen to a brilliant release like Rushup Edge or ALRIGHT! and I get taken back to a certain time of nostalgia... :smile:

Archived