IGNORED

first time aphex expierence

Guest Calx Sherbet

Guest Calx Sherbet

What was the first time you expierenced aphex twin? mine is the ungodley obvious windowlicker video....others are probably more special than mine

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tamas

I only realized this recently, but my first conscious Aphex Twin listening was with Come to Daddy... I was downtown with this girl, and we had smoked pot earlier in the day, and she was like "You HAVE to listen to this!!", and I was blown away almost instantly. She showed me Boards of Canada the same day, too, but at the time I wasn't really interested, haha.

Guest Dirty Protest

Getting drunk on hock in the mid nineties with my friend who just lost his parents, Aphex on loop made sense.

Oddly, the 51/13 singles collection.

However, by far the best "first" was a friend and I, after having purchased SAW2. We got out and immediately popped it in his car CD player and had gotten about 2 blocks from the store when suddenly we're awoken by the sound of blaring horns at a green light and "cliffs" is still playing. We weren't exactly asleep just both magically enthralled. We ejected the CD and then waited until home before we had mad tantric gay sex to it.

Digeridoo, some time early in 1992, on the 808 State radio show. Blew everything else clear out of the water, a star is born :aphexsign:

Might have been the same show, or my faded memories congealing, but there was a guy on the phone-in who had been to an Autechre gig at the Band On The Wall, complaining that less than 10 people had turned up to see it.. 808 were like.. Aut-who? Autistic? Stars not-quite born yet..

Guest Quoth
"Windowlicker" on a crappy Dutch Music channel >.>

7:00 o' clock in the morning on a rainy sunday on TMF :angry:

Live: Circa 1999, Me + hash yogurt RDJ in a wendy-house gig in Dublin - all ambient and with dancers too.

Before that my heavy metaler flatmate said "check out this shit" to CTD on MTV - hooked ever since

Guest hahathhat

i actually don't remember!! kind of like my avatar really

i DO remember i started listening to aphex around when i first saw the movie Pi, and that had ol' bucephalus bouncing ball on it, so that could have been it... but i also ran a FTP server for mp3 trading and stuff then (this was pre-napster), and i recall people just uploaded aphex randomly. could have heard him through that.

the tracks people elected to upload, by the way, make me lol in retrospect. off the top off my head:

- Techno Tetris

- Blade Techno Opener (this is New Order actually!)

- Star Wars remix

- Speed Racer remix

- Isopropanol

- Laughable Butane Bob

- Stone in focus

blade techno opener was my favorite, hah. i wound up downloading more, but i actually didn't get into aphex too much then... around 2000 however, when i started to get jobs, i began buying aphex albums and got much more into him... is also about when i started writing music!

Guest KBps

I was looking for new music sometime in the late 90s. I picked up Come to Daddy EP based on the cover alone. It fucking blew my mind and I've been an Aphex addict ever since.

Guest Laughable Butane Bob

Actually I remember now... I heard HAB1, and Laughable Butane Bob remains the greatest fucking song ever.

yep, i was pumped out of the nin-aphex-here pipeline

a fellow by the name of mike plummer on a catholic church retreat in 1994 or 1995 handed me his discman and said "listen to this" on the bus home, and it was nin the downard spiral. i listened to march of the pigs like this :omg: the whole time. my cd collection at that point consisted of snoop doggy dogg, too short, color me badd, c + c music factory, technotronic, and kriss kross. and michael bolton i think. and a california raisins cassette tape. but i was listening to the radio mostly, stuff like a lighter shade of brown, cypress hill, the local rap station 100.3 JAMZ

anyway i knew downard spiral was serious business. it was something beyond the music i had been listening to. so i became mildly obsessed . . .from there i got pretty hate machine, and then broken, and then every other cd nin had made, and in my insatiable thirst for more i looked up the producers and remixers on the b-sides and bought their stuff, some good, some bad, discovered tori amos, coil, foetus, ministry. then one day i was in the record store and under new releases was "further down the spiral" i shit my pants, bought it, shit my pants again, got home, shit my pants, opened it, shit my pants, played it, shit the walls. really shit the walls pretty hard when i heard section b of the the beauty of being numb track by aphex twin. this was round the time when i had first done acid and weed and all that, so i was like, wtf, this is wtf?! WTF?!? WTFWFWFWT OSMSOsmglGGGGGA. the track was a perfect intro do rdj's subtle tongue in cheek style buried behind lush synths and percussion noises i had previously not experienced. and of course at the heart of it all was just this vast expansive orchestral sadness with crunches and pipes and i was just immediately drawn to it.

so the next step? find this aphex twin and find it quick. went to blockbuster music with my other friend mike where they had those listening centers, hoping they might have SOMETHING by aphex twins, hoping they might have released an album or something and luckily there were a few discs there . . . the new frontier staring and smiling right at me with this wicked grin. i listened to parts of i care because you do and, as i was short on cash, bought the "on" single and quickly went out to the car. we put it in and played "on" and cranked the volume up and practically had to pull over because it sounded so fucking good when that rhythm started kicking in over the raindrop melody. the rest was history. spatulas got on board too at some point. we played nothing but aphex in the car, tripped and listened to ventolin single, i counted down the days till rdj album was released on the classroom chalkboard. it was all so new and exciting. i would dream about how new aphex twin would sound.

when i first heard rdj album i couldnt believe what i was hearing, it was so naughty i could barely contain it. that was the most floored by music i've ever been to this date, the first time i heard rdj album.

sigh

then i grew up, and now i'm just waiting to die.

Acrid Avid Jam Shred

CAT3263748 - AA1

Analogue Bubblebath

Jynweythek

Piano pieces from drukqs

many more

A lot quite at the same time I guess

Man, those strings on Acrid are so fucking beautiful and then the childish synthline comes up which makes me love it even more.

Guest raulsworldofsynths
mustve been a while back. i downloaded r2d2..because i was into star wars..then i was hooked. been into aphex twin ever since.

Come To Daddy on TMF (dutch/flemish music channel)

or was it MTV? can't remember

and Windowlicker after that

anyway, its a good thing that those videos were made, because at that time i was this awkward young teen listening to shitty hip-hop/rock like eminem and limpbizkit

and since i didn't have internet at that time, tv was my only source for music

those videos totally blew my world

it was not only visually interesting, but musically as well

when i finally got the internets, first thing i did was checking out that aphex twin guy, and all those names surrounding him (squarepusher, autechre, etc...) and i also got to know the ambient genre, and i kept on digging, and i'm still discovering new musics as of today

so in a way he is responsible for introducing me to a world of awesome and interesting musics that really appeal to me

Guest Caustic

saw Come To Daddy vid in '97

couple years later i see it AGAIN on one of these "top 10 scariest videos" programs and was like "y0! i remember that!"

ICBYD was left for me by brother in my bedroom. He had received a promo copy and left it for me along with Spanners, and ISDN and few other cd's like God Lives underwater. So I came home concealing 5-6 or six genesee cans ( although I was of legal drinking age I lived with my parents) and went into my room and tore open a genny and popped into Aphex disc. I was listening on headphones, that was/is my favorite thing to do after a good night of drinking, turn up headphones and quaffe some more beers. So I quaffed some gennys, and shat myself over what I was hearing. My prior electronic music was obsessive Meat beat Manifesto, Kraftwerk and some other shit.

and shit man ...

I bought Drukqs when i was 13 at a Borders bookstore.

I was really into the Acidplanet thing (lol) and a number of artists on there listed Aphex as an influence.

That CD changed my life.

Guest Promo

My first experience was prolly one of the strangest tracks by Aphex. The track was 'Phlid' and now I've checked discogs the year was 1994. Anyways I'd read quite a bit about Aphex in the NME/Melody Maker etc and saw through ads that he was playing Megadog's etc and was just keen as hell to hear his music. At the time he already had the vibe that he was pretty much the don of electronic/abstract music.

Anyways somehow I seem to recall finding out that he had a tune on a tape compilation on 'Select Magazine'. Select was basically an Indy rag and not too bad I guess at the time all things considered. I found out a guy in my year had this magazine and so hunted him down and borrowed the tape so I could hear the Aphex. I rememeber being quite unimpressed at the time and I think I discovered Seefeel around the same time who wowed me more.

Guest Promo
Digeridoo, some time early in 1992, on the 808 State radio show. Blew everything else clear out of the water, a star is born :aphexsign:

Might have been the same show, or my faded memories congealing, but there was a guy on the phone-in who had been to an Autechre gig at the Band On The Wall, complaining that less than 10 people had turned up to see it.. 808 were like.. Aut-who? Autistic? Stars not-quite born yet..

Cool.

Jam/Jaaaaam, seriously. When I found how many tracks from SAW2 were used, I went and got that very album.

The hard techno stuff is what keeps me hooked these days, though.

Archived