IGNORED

What to tell people the first time they hear Ae

dr lopez

When someone asks me what i like i just say "Autechre" and then i go on to say that Confield is the pinnacle of modern music. Then they call me out on it. I reach for my ipod and choose Bine or Parhelic Triangle. Within about 3 seconds they take of the headphones and walk away. Probably not the best approach. Suggestions?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Scrambled Ears
When someone asks me what i like i just say "Autechre" and then i go on to say that Confield is the pinnacle of modern music. Then they call me out on it. I reach for my ipod and choose Bine or Parhelic Triangle. Within about 3 seconds they take of the headphones and walk away. Probably not the best approach. Suggestions?

headphones? there's the problem. lock them in a room and put that shit through a big ass system until they are praying to the gods of ae.

Guest jubes

tell em to listen to the concept and not just the sound ...roll a joint then tell emlisten to pro radii and ask them what they see

I played a few tracks off amber at a bbq recently and few of my friends thought it was a joke-I'm keeping autechre too myself from now on

Guest nsixqatsi

When I was introduced to autechre a friend of mine gave me a disc with Amber and LP5 on it. (Prior to that all i really knew about electronic music was that I liked Aphex Twin.)

I remember my friend was real like hesitant and precautionary about autechre. He described it as "music for machines" and i was like uh huh ok. Then I clicked play on Foil and was like, Yes plz autechre.

Rae and under boac were similar experiences.

winton.jpg

Guest wolfslice

heyas, first post.

I've shown a few people autechre, usually with a positive response...

the key is to start them on the more accessible stuff.. Arch Carrier is a good suggestion... V-Proc is also a real crowd pleaser. Envane works well too.

most people i know are into hip hop (a few alternative music stragglers as well)... when the question of autechre arises, i usually start off with ccec, dropp, augmatic disport, milk dx, most of draft, and pen expers! they either take it or leave it!

Guest Blyz Castl

Last october I told a friend of mine "Here's something REALLY abstract" and I played Pro Radii for him. He absolutely loved it, and now he's slowly getting into their music.

Guest HWNDarkside

Start at the beginning - everything makes more sense if you work through their albums from Incunabula upwards

An introduction at Parhelic Triangle and Confield level is asking a bit much of anyone :angry:

Guest Goum Le Chat

I've noticed that lot of people that listen to Ae for the first time say to me that "It sounds like Aphex Twin". And I told them it's two worlds appart, they can make the difference by listening to several Autechre's bits.

Last time I've made a friend listen to their work was with Untitled - I shouldn't do that. It's hard for a first-time thing.

Tri Repetae is the good one, with Amber and some Quaristice tracks.

Guest konnan

I'd start with some of their earlier work like Bike, Silverside, Eggshell for a person who isn't into the music at all. It also depends on the musical background of the person.

Guest Enter a new display name

A few of my friends love the Gantz Graf music video. I didn't get them into their albums but they know who Autechre are.

Guest maddestmax

i suggest KRIB. that fucking track just got everyone i played it to.

Altibizz is such a beauty as well.

I also agree with modey that Nil is a fantastic choice

read the fucking rules

What the fuck is wrong with you? He didnt do a SINGLE thing wrong, you post read the fucking rules in every goddamn thread you don't approve of, STFU

Guest musicforairports

Rettic AC would be a good introduction track (considering they've heard of boc), Pencha of the cichlisuite ep is also incredibly listenable for first timers.

I also agree with modey that Nil is a fantastic choice

read the fucking rules

What the fuck is wrong with you? He didnt do a SINGLE thing wrong, you post read the fucking rules in every goddamn thread you don't approve of, STFU

sounds like you need to read the rules again, carefully

Archived