IGNORED

a "sounds like plaid" thread

Guest dadominate

Guest dadominate

since scintilli won't be out for some time now, how about we post some tracks that sound like plaid?

i'll begin with one that to me, is VERY reminiscent of zeal (one of my favorite plaid tunes) in terms of both structure and general sounds. or should i say zeal is very reminiscent of this tune, as it predated it by several years. any others?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RKp-m028fQ

• 5 weeks later...
Guest PusillanimousRex

I've been meaning to post this tidbit here since the thread was started, but I don't have any examples online that I can refer folks to. I haven't looked too hard, mind, but I might just upload something from my HD later this evening if anyone's interested.

Anyhow, about six or seven years ago I (re)discovered a composer by the name of David Bergeaud, who creates music for film,TV and video games, and whose soundtracks to a particular series of games initially seemed to be quite obviously Plaid-inspired, at least in part. Subsequent soundtracks have drifted further and further away from that particular association, but even though the influence may not always be so obvious, his music is well worth checking out if you don't know of him. He's one of the few artists I know of that I would unreservedly call a bona-fide genius in his particular field.

Guest dadominate
I've been meaning to post this tidbit here since the thread was started, but I don't have any examples online that I can refer folks to. I haven't looked too hard, mind, but I might just upload something from my HD later this evening if anyone's interested.

Anyhow, about six or seven years ago I (re)discovered a composer by the name of David Bergeaud, who creates music for film,TV and video games, and whose soundtracks to a particular series of games initially seemed to be quite obviously Plaid-inspired, at least in part. Subsequent soundtracks have drifted further and further away from that particular association, but even though the influence may not always be so obvious, his music is well worth checking out if you don't know of him. He's one of the few artists I know of that I would unreservedly call a bona-fide genius in his particular field.

i just checked out david bergeaud's website. he has an audio sample of snippets from his film compositions... definitely some cool stuff.

while on the subject of french film composers, is anyone familiar with the work of francois de roubaix? he was an early electronic pioneer who produced some really engaging soundtracks in the early 70's... it's a shame he died so young (scuba accident) as he was at the forefront of electronic music.

i would suggest this album. check out the audio clips of 10.) l'antartique and 12.) pinguoins sur la banquise. definitely ahead of his time! http://www.moviegrooves.com/shop/mondeelec...uederoubaix.htm

can you give a hint for what particular soundtracks to look? I only found earth 2 ost so far and its not so much like plaid

- will now check his samples on the website in more detail

i'd be interested in a proper analysis of plaid's melodies

i don't listen to a lot of plaid, but their melodies have an interesting circularity/phasing (in the reich sense) thing going on, along with sometimes a difficulty in placing a tonal centre (the orb track above being another good example of this. hard to tell if it's in a key, or that key's major or minor third, or even the fifth).

something else about the technique, it doesn't always resolve at the end

something that makes music theory people recoil in horror. when it does resolve, it's verrry satisfying

• 2 weeks later...

There was someone, at least i think it was one person, had some tracks up on myspace earlier in the year that sounded like early Black Dog & Plaid. They were some of his old tunes from early 2000's, if i remember rightly. They sounded like live jams to me. Was good stuff though, but i forget his name and he later took the tunes down. That was months back so not much use now i know, but if i find out again what the name was i'll let y'all know... :)

It began with a C, but he changed the name quite often.

Kettel. I'll say it 1 million times. Kettel. Get the album "My Dogan" and be amazed that it could ever be that good.

Good stuff! First ive heard of 'Kettel'. Thanks for the heads up.

Doesn't sound a lot like Plaid though to me. it's not as rich or warm.

Good music though :)

Nobody really sounds too much like Plaid, but Plaid i think.

Blah - well I'm a geezer then. To me Oxbow Lakes is an old classic I sorta grew up with, it has its own time and place. Zeal is just a track by Plaid.

lol @ "Zeal is just a track by Plaid".

There are people growing up listening to 'Zeal' now.. or did around 2003. And appreciating it in the same way you did, 'Oxbow Lakes'. :)

lol I'm glad you could see the humour in that.. I was expecting to get flamed.

I feel like I'm saying the electronic music equivalent of "back in my day..."

edit: wtf WATMM?! when you put the letters "i d m" together in sequence it turns into "electronic music"

• 4 weeks later...
Guest dadominate
Yimino will keep you going until the new Plaid album is out.

I agree

definitely dig yimino

and though it doesn't really sound like plaid, more similar to an uptempo boards of canada retro feel, the album "lemurian" by lone is amazing. the tracks fly fire rainbow and arcade are especially captivating. really good stuff.

http://www.myspace.com/lonemusic

Archived