IGNORED

wtf most of us have been listening to aphex twin for more than ten years

Guest KY

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Rogueofmv
But by calc midterm was LAST week.

Don't give me that, just because you're in calculus now doesn't mean you can let your trig slide. Just wait until you get to differential equations, you'll really be whine-assing for your identities then.

y u maek tim-tim sad

:cry:

i'm gonna tell on u

Guest Panoptimist

The first Aphex track I ever heard was Come To Daddy (Pappy Mix) in the 9th or 10th grade. I'll be 20 on Sunday for perspective.

Began listening to Aphex and Autechre semi-regularly in about the 11th grade (along with most of the other popular, or well known artists in that "network"). Didn't fall into the deep, narcissistic, unhealthy love for the shit that I do now until just a little over a year ago. But it kind of fell into place with my personal growth and I've been able to reconcile my love for the shit in basically everything I do and think.

So I guess I'm statistically unique here.

Back in high school, I was really into Orbital, and saw a bunch of people on their boards mentioning Autechre. This was probably around 1999-2000ish. I went on Napster (omg) and downloaded a bunch of Autechre tracks and fucking loved them. I didn't know at the time, but all the tracks were from Incunabula & Amber.

SO I asked my parents for an Autechre album for Christmas that year. They'd never heard of them, so they asked the guy at the record store to give them the newest one. That just so happened to be Confield.

Well I was gleeful when I opened up an Autechre CD on Christmas day. Now I finally had a full album to appreciate. (This was long before I was file sharing savvy, or the infrastructure was in place to get whole albums easily). I went upstairs and popped Confield in. What the fuck was this? Was this the same band? Then Pen Expers came on and I fell in love with IDM.

Then I got Autechre's whole back catalog, and their transition from Incunabula to Confield suddenly made a whole lot of sense. I then got into Aphex, Plaid, Squarepusher, and all the other Warp big names. Not so much Squarepusher, actually. And I only like about 50% of the whole Aphex catalog. In fact I'm not really a huge Aphex fan. I think The Tuss is pretty meh. And Squarepusher's a one trick pony. And Plaid's only real masterpiece is Not for Threes. And Jega's Geometry is better than most of their outputs. Now I listen to The Chemical Brothers, lol.

The point is, I thought Autechre sounded like Amber and I got Confield, which blew my mind. Especially when prior to that I and all my 'peers' listened to shit like Korn and Limp Bizkit.

i listened to the rdj album the other day & went pretty nostalgic. it was a bit complicated to get some aphex/rephlex cds back in the days (without the internet) and that was funny to "discover" a release in a record shop. like with mike & rich : didn't know what it was but easily guess that rich was aphex. now with sites like discogs, discographies are not mysterious worlds anymore.

but looking for a record for age was a pain in the ass.

i listened to the rdj album the other day & went pretty nostalgic. it was a bit complicated to get some aphex/rephlex cds back in the days (without the internet) and that was funny to "discover" a release in a record shop. like with mike & rich : didn't know what it was but easily guess that rich was aphex. now with sites like discogs, discographies are not mysterious worlds anymore.

but looking for a record for age was a pain in the ass.

zole yeah i remember i used to judge a record store's quality by how many autechre albums i could find.

it may have been a pain in the ass to find idm in record stores back in the days before mass filesharing/bleep/etc, but in a way it made it a lot more rewarding. these days i'm downloading stuff all over the place (mostly legally), and i still haven't listened to all of it yet!

this story should give me some semi old school cred:

i had a TAPE WALKMAN and i was so cool i skived off school, at that point i was into Drum'n'Bass, FSOL and Orbital basically. i borrowed tapes off my sister cause she had a large and eclectic tape collection. one day i borrowed the WARP records compilation called Blech:

R-30565-1211560982.jpeg

i thought the artwork was rather cool. i listened to it and thought it was quite nice. possibly the first time i heard afx.

i'd probably heard some warp etc. stuff on john peel before, he never seemed to play afx tho.

girl/boy song was my first aphex experience from the mtv's amp cd back in 1997, i was in high school then. 27 now and hardly listen to aphex anymore, just rdj album and come to daddy.

this story should give me some semi old school cred:

i had a TAPE WALKMAN and i was so cool i skived off school, at that point i was into Drum'n'Bass, FSOL and Orbital basically.

lol i used to listen to boyz II men and rage against the machine on my walkman.

oh i listened to rage against the machine too

edit: i quickly replaced my walkman with an MD recorder as soon as i could afford one. i never had any particular affection for tapes (i was mocked by friends for not having a CD player)

Guest esquimaw

Year 2000 for me, so 9 years. I would have been 14. Started out with ICBYD and the Braindance Coincidence..

Before that used to mainly listen to Radiohead, the Prodigy and the Chems etc etc.

I remember buying Drukqs the day it came out in Our Price. That's right bitches, Our Price.

I don't really listen to much of that kind of stuff any more.. Sessioned the new Squarepusher album when it came out, I'm a bit bored of it now though. Expert Knob Twiddlers didn't leave my car CD player for about 2 weeks recently.. The Tuss is still amazing. But other than that I've moved on.

Archived